Q950A Default Source

Paul@PRSquare

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have installed a Samsung Q950A. I am using this soundbar with a Sony Bravia X85C which has an Arc input but not an eArc input. To work around this I have added an HD Fury to split the video and audio HDMI signals. The audio HDMI cable from the HD Fury is connected to the eArc input on the soundbar.

My question is should the video HDMI cable from the HD Fury be connected to the Arc input on the Sony TV or another HDMI input.

With the video HDMI cable from the HD Fury connected to the Arc input on the Sony TV; if I startup the soundbar alone with it's remote the D.IN/eArc source is set correctly, if I startup the soundbar, the AppleTV, and the Sony TV using the Harmony 650 remote; the source on the soundbar switches to TV Speakers about half the time. Sometimes every change on the AppleTV (such as PLEX to Prime) changes the source on the soundbar back to TV Speakers.

With the video HDMI cable be connected to the Arc input on the Sony TV; when I look at the audio settings in the AppleTV, TV Speakers is set as the default. The soundbar is a temporary option, but this option cannot be set as the default. Would switching the video HDMI cable on the Sony TV from the Arc input to another HDMI input solve this problem? Or do I need to dig someplace else? It seems like a Q950A default source problem, but the Arc port on the TV is a variable for which I do not have an answer. Thanks for any clarification.

My question is should the video HDMI cable from the HD Fury be connected to the Arc input on the Sony TV or another HDMI input.
The HDMI on the TV are all inputs for audio and video. The one marked ARC or eARC can send audio the “wrong way” hence the audio form that is an output. If you aren’t using the return channel function the HDMI socket is a normal input same as all the others.

(Some, very few, TVs have an HDMI socket marked as an output so those wouldn’t take any audio or video in at all).

With the video HDMI cable from the HD Fury connected to the Arc input on the Sony TV; if I startup the soundbar alone with it's remote the D.IN/eArc source is set correctly, if I startup the soundbar, the AppleTV, and the Sony TV using the Harmony 650 remote; the source on the soundbar switches to TV Speakers about half the time. Sometimes every change on the AppleTV (such as PLEX to Prime) changes the source on the soundbar back to TV Speakers.
This is HDMI CEC at play most likely. With a Harmony I turn CEC off on every device. The Harmony does the power and switching of each device so the automatic power on and off plus input switching on every device cases by HDMI CEC is simply unwanted. CEC is called do Ferber things by different manufacturers. Samsung is Anynet+, Panasonic Vieralink, Sony Bravia Link and so on. Just turn it all off and let the Harmony do its job. Or put up with CEC changing things no matter what adjustments you make over many hours in the Harmony software. And yes that is from personal experience 12 years ago with my first Harmony and CEC…… :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom