Q90T - 7 dead pixels

Daveyboy1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

just wondered if it is common or normal for some TVs to arrive with dead pixels.

ive had the tv a couple of weeks and watched it normally from the sofa a few feet away and looks perfect from that distance. But I wasup closer to it today and there was a white screen. It’s then I noticed about 7 tiny black dots on the screen which I realised were dead pixels. It’s the first tv I’ve had that’s had dead pixels.

as I say, from normal viewing distance it’s not even noticeable. So I assume it’s ok to just leave? Can they get worse or is it just a manufacturing defect?

that s no luck , here i have 0 dead pixels on my Q95T, and i have it for 3 months , crossing fingers

that s no luck , here i have 0 dead pixels on my Q95T, and i have it for 3 months , crossing fingers
Yeah must just be bad luck then I guess. I dont notice it or see it at all viewing normal content or even viewing a white screen sat back on the sofa so it’s ok and doesn’t cause an issue.

the manual actually states that due to how the TVs are made and complexity basically of making the pixels that you may notice ‘few’ bright or dark pixels on the screen but these won’t impact performance. So guess this is what I have and they say it is normal.

Hi all,

just wondered if it is common or normal for some TVs to arrive with dead pixels.

ive had the tv a couple of weeks and watched it normally from the sofa a few feet away and looks perfect from that distance. But I wasup closer to it today and there was a white screen. It’s then I noticed about 7 tiny black dots on the screen which I realised were dead pixels. It’s the first tv I’ve had that’s had dead pixels.

as I say, from normal viewing distance it’s not even noticeable. So I assume it’s ok to just leave? Can they get worse or is it just a manufacturing defect?

That's not normal. Are you sure they are dead pixels? They could be thrip insects which climb into LCD sets and get stuck in the panel. Impossible to remove.

That's not normal. Are you sure they are dead pixels? They could be thrip insects which climb into LCD sets and get stuck in the panel. Impossible to remove.
Yes, tv was brand new and they are black dots the size of pin heads. I’ve already researched online about it and everything suggests this would be dead pixels. As I say, although it shouldn’t happen on a tv that costs this sort of money, it does clearly say in the manual that there could well be a a ‘few’ dark pixels (dead pixels) on the screen. I guess this covers Samsung as they state it’s normal.

it doesn’t affect the viewing experience as I really don’t see them unless on a white screen and right up close to screen.

from what I read, dead pixels usually occur as part of manufacturing process and shouldn’t get new dead pixels on the screen. Hopefully that’s correct. I have a six year warranty so guess if I start getting more then I can then get repaired or replaced but it’s not an issue currently.

Here's a map of my dark pixels, a q90t bought a week ago in Germany. I use it as a PC monitor at low distance (<1m), so I did start noticing two of them, then searched for more. 17! Although the count is high, visibility is low and diverse. Only about two of them can be spotted without getting real close and only when displaying white content. To find the others, I had to search thoroughly at a 90° viewing angle at about 20cm distance.

Note these are technically not dead pixels: they are dark, not stuck black or transparent. And just like you I found the statement in the manual and keep wondering whether I should complain or not.

Ecologically, "for the environment" (think e-waste), I'll take the hit and just live with it. Quality-wise, I'd say having a production problem so prominent it has to be excused in the manual should be embarrassing for Samsung.

Edit to clarify even more: these aren't single pixels affected, but rather groups of them. Attaching two dark spots. The lower left one is rather visible, even when displaying a solid color, the upper right one is almost invisible, especially when displaying color.

Attachments

• q90t defekte.png
    q90t defekte.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 763
  • dark-pixels.jpg
    dark-pixels.jpg
    724.5 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:
Yes that’s very similar to mine. I have a few single dead pixels and another like the one in your picture where it looks like more than one in a group.

however, since owning tv, I can honestly say that from where I sit in room, I never notice these pixels at all. It’s only if I got up really close to tv and looked that I can see them.

but I do think this years TVs seem to be suffering with very bad quality control with both the hardware and software. However,with the pixels they have covered themselves by stating in manual that it’s normal.

I would say unless you notice them from normal viewing then just to ignore it. If you notice them when you watch tv normally then I would contact Samsung.

Late answer here, but this is my experience with my Q70T, where I found three dead pixels. They are always black and does not seem to work since they don't lit up at all, hence they are "dead".

This is generally bad according to many users (myself included). Although I know that this is a part of the LCD-technology and can happen to all sorts of TV-brands.

Why I won't return the set is because of the following:
  • The three dead on my TV are spread out at "good places" (one far up in the left corner, one far up in the right corner and one far down in the right corner - all of them very close to the bezels. In other words: Not in the field of view for me.
  • They are only visible if I sit straight in front of them at really close range, less than 1 metre (3.2 ft) from the TV. Since the TV is quite large I sit around 2,7 metres (8,8 ft) from the TV - where they are not visible at all. One of them is also only visible when looking straight at it and changing the position makes it "dissapear".
  • They are only visible when there is a very bright and static background, which I do not really count as normal use - but more of a test-environment (dead pixel finders on YouTube for example). In normal viewing/gaming from my distance they are not visible. In fact, I would probably not even have discovered them from the start if it weren't for me cleaning the set with my eyes more or less in physical contact with the TV. Would they have been red or green it would probably be worse...
It is difficult with new TV's today as many seem to suffer from either banding, dirty screen effect, dead/stuck pixels, blooming etc. Many users don’t notice this as they are not actively searching for them, or not using them in ways were the problems get noticable.

Why we notice these things more and more is because we are using them in so many more ways nowadays (gaming etc) - and the picture is so sharp that we notice things more easily. Add to this all the threads on user forums, YouTube etc, which leads to people looking for problems they did not notice before. On this forum for example many people seem to have zero tolerance. Finding one dead pixel means returning the set, then the new set has DSE - and a that set is returned as well. I have seen people go through 4-5 TV-sets before people are happy.

Because of the famous "panel lottery" I took the decision not to go through the hazzle returning the set, as the next set might be even worse. I am more sensitive to dirty screen effect than a couple of dead pizels that is not visible from where I sit.

All this being said, it is really sad that we encounter all these different problems today, but this is the world of LCD-technology. Every manufacturer has these issues; Samsung, LG, TCL, Sony, Philips etc.

My only concern is that the dead pixels will spread. Daveboy1985: Have the number of dead pixels increased for you or are they the same?

Late answer here, but this is my experience with my Q70T, where I found three dead pixels. They are always black and does not seem to work since they don't lit up at all, hence they are "dead".

This is generally bad according to many users (myself included). Although I know that this is a part of the LCD-technology and can happen to all sorts of TV-brands.

Why I won't return the set is because of the following:
  • The three dead on my TV are spread out at "good places" (one far up in the left corner, one far up in the right corner and one far down in the right corner - all of them very close to the bezels. In other words: Not in the field of view for me.
  • They are only visible if I sit straight in front of them at really close range, less than 1 metre (3.2 ft) from the TV. Since the TV is quite large I sit around 2,7 metres (8,8 ft) from the TV - where they are not visible at all. One of them is also only visible when looking straight at it and changing the position makes it "dissapear".
  • They are only visible when there is a very bright and static background, which I do not really count as normal use - but more of a test-environment (dead pixel finders on YouTube for example). In normal viewing/gaming from my distance they are not visible. In fact, I would probably not even have discovered them from the start if it weren't for me cleaning the set with my eyes more or less in physical contact with the TV. Would they have been red or green it would probably be worse...
It is difficult with new TV's today as many seem to suffer from either banding, dirty screen effect, dead/stuck pixels, blooming etc. Many users don’t notice this as they are not actively searching for them, or not using them in ways were the problems get noticable.

Why we notice these things more and more is because we are using them in so many more ways nowadays (gaming etc) - and the picture is so sharp that we notice things more easily. Add to this all the threads on user forums, YouTube etc, which leads to people looking for problems they did not notice before. On this forum for example many people seem to have zero tolerance. Finding one dead pixel means returning the set, then the new set has DSE - and a that set is returned as well. I have seen people go through 4-5 TV-sets before people are happy.

Because of the famous "panel lottery" I took the decision not to go through the hazzle returning the set, as the next set might be even worse. I am more sensitive to dirty screen effect than a couple of dead pizels that is not visible from where I sit.

All this being said, it is really sad that we encounter all these different problems today, but this is the world of LCD-technology. Every manufacturer has these issues; Samsung, LG, TCL, Sony, Philips etc.

My only concern is that the dead pixels will spread. Daveboy1985: Have the number of dead pixels increased for you or are they the same?
Hi,

although it was frustrating at first to see I had dead pixels on the display, I read into it and Samsung themselves even state something along the lines of that due to complexity of how the sets are made, there may be some dark or bright pixels (basically dead or stuck). However, this won’t impact on the screen itself.
I also read that dead pixels are usually down to the TVs manufacturing process and that a dead pixel that was there from new won’t cause any issues going forward. E.g. they won’t spread.

I cannot even notice the dead pixels. Only reason I did is because I stupidly went looking for imperfections by running DSE tests and standing up close to the tv. If I hadn’t done this then I’d still not be any the wiser now. Most people will prob find they have dead or stuck pixels to some degree if they go looking for them up close and concentrating on finding something.

I can’t remember the website now but there is somewhere I found which lists the amount of dead or stuck pixels that are acceptable for TVs at HD and 4K resolutions and it’s actually quite high before it’s deemed for the manufacture to be a failure.

i have not had any new dead pixels (which I wasn’t expecting either) and none have spread etc. The dead pixels are dead because at manufacturing stage the individual pixels were faulty etc.
I would say don’t look to hard and if under normal viewing conditions you don’t notice them then just enjoy your tv and not worry about it.

if you noticed them all the time from your viewing distance (which would be possible if sat close and using screen as say a monitor) then that’s different as it would be impacting your viewing experience but if not then I’d say just leave it and stop looking for imperfections as you’ll always find some 😃

I've been getting better at counting, so my total increased from my previous 17 to 35 in early December. I was very through back then for I feared they would spread and I wouldn't want to get or make a false impression later on, which is now.

So I just checked my map and couldn't find any new ones. They certainly don't spread.

Also, I'll stress again that I notice only 2-3 of them in day to day use.

What's bothering me much more than the dead pixels is the ghosting in general and especially "purple" ghosting where the transition from black to gray appears as a dark purple shade.

On top of that: dirty screen effect. Very noticable when moving white filled windows on the desktop.

What's so disappointing to me is the fact that my old Samsung 4K TV from 2016 suffered none of these issues. I was hoping for a clean upgrade from 60hz to 120hz and got into this mess.

Anyways, I haven't returned my set either because I don't think things would improve unless I get real lucky. That being said, my next TV will be OLED. Burn-in risk and lower brightness pale in comparison to the quality problems I'm facing here.

I've been getting better at counting, so my total increased from my previous 17 to 35 in early December. I was very through back then for I feared they would spread and I wouldn't want to get or make a false impression later on, which is now.

So I just checked my map and couldn't find any new ones. They certainly don't spread.

Also, I'll stress again that I notice only 2-3 of them in day to day use.

What's bothering me much more than the dead pixels is the ghosting in general and especially "purple" ghosting where the transition from black to gray appears as a dark purple shade.

On top of that: dirty screen effect. Very noticable when moving white filled windows on the desktop.

What's so disappointing to me is the fact that my old Samsung 4K TV from 2016 suffered none of these issues. I was hoping for a clean upgrade from 60hz to 120hz and got into this mess.

Anyways, I haven't returned my set either because I don't think things would improve unless I get real lucky. That being said, my next TV will be OLED. Burn-in risk and lower brightness pale in comparison to the quality problems I'm facing here.
I think unfortunately a lot of quality control issues have been present recently.
I’ve heard of people that have returned their tv 3 or 4 times and even then they’ve settled. I’ve been fairly lucky as apart from the few dead pixels, I’ve not got bad DSE etc. Only thing that is really bugging me still is the awful frame rate stutter slowdown which they still haven’t fixed.

I too have had TVs from 2012 and then 2015 with absolutely no issues whatsoever. The 2015 was also a 4K Samsung.
it seems that they are probably more cheaply made now to cut costs.
I also wonder if with the 2020 sets that we have, could it be that quality control was a problem due to COVID? As it seems the 2020 TVs are plagued with issues from dead pixels and DSE to poor software issues etc. It’s almost like they just released them when they wasn’t really ready too.

Hi,

although it was frustrating at first to see I had dead pixels on the display, I read into it and Samsung themselves even state something along the lines of that due to complexity of how the sets are made, there may be some dark or bright pixels (basically dead or stuck). However, this won’t impact on the screen itself.
I also read that dead pixels are usually down to the TVs manufacturing process and that a dead pixel that was there from new won’t cause any issues going forward. E.g. they won’t spread.

I cannot even notice the dead pixels. Only reason I did is because I stupidly went looking for imperfections by running DSE tests and standing up close to the tv. If I hadn’t done this then I’d still not be any the wiser now. Most people will prob find they have dead or stuck pixels to some degree if they go looking for them up close and concentrating on finding something.

I can’t remember the website now but there is somewhere I found which lists the amount of dead or stuck pixels that are acceptable for TVs at HD and 4K resolutions and it’s actually quite high before it’s deemed for the manufacture to be a failure.

i have not had any new dead pixels (which I wasn’t expecting either) and none have spread etc. The dead pixels are dead because at manufacturing stage the individual pixels were faulty etc.
I would say don’t look to hard and if under normal viewing conditions you don’t notice them then just enjoy your tv and not worry about it.

if you noticed them all the time from your viewing distance (which would be possible if sat close and using screen as say a monitor) then that’s different as it would be impacting your viewing experience but if not then I’d say just leave it and stop looking for imperfections as you’ll always find some 😃
Thanks for the update Davey.

I have the same thoughts as you have: If you notice all of them all of the time, regardless how far away you are sitting from the TV or monitor - then there would be a problem. As it is now - not at all.

I have spent (too much) time doing dirty-screen-effect tests on YouTube, pixeltests and what not. Now, when using the TV the "normal" way (mainly gaming on my Series X) I do not even think of those pixels.

Since we nowaydays have 8 294 499 pixels spread out on the screen a few pixels here and there wont be a problem. In the near future, when 8k gets normal we will have 33 177 600 pixels - I expect the problem with dead/stuck pixels will be even lower then. :)

Is this a dead pixel or dust? Samsung qled Q60A 10 days old :(
It is not visible on some colors

Attachments

• IMG_20220226_133254.jpg
    IMG_20220226_133254.jpg
    697.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20220222_142351.jpg
    IMG_20220222_142351.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 249
Same with brand new Samsung TU7000.
I have a few on my q90t but they never got any worse (not spread etc). Even the manual says it’s normal. I think like everything that companies now to save money put these out with defects but they are acceptable defects to them. I’m sure I read somewhere that there is a guide on how many dead pixels or hot pixels are allowed on a screen etc and if it’s within a certain tolerance then it’s fine.

To be honest, it did annoy me at first as I was looking for imperfections but when viewing tv normally and not standing 6 inches from screen looking for issues I cannot see any flaws at all so it’s ok.

I have a few on my q90t but they never got any worse (not spread etc). Even the manual says it’s normal. I think like everything that companies now to save money put these out with defects but they are acceptable defects to them. I’m sure I read somewhere that there is a guide on how many dead pixels or hot pixels are allowed on a screen etc and if it’s within a certain tolerance then it’s fine.

To be honest, it did annoy me at first as I was looking for imperfections but when viewing tv normally and not standing 6 inches from screen looking for issues I cannot see any flaws at all so it’s ok.
I had that information on previous Samsung TV manuals, not on this one, it's like as of problem stop getting acknowledged altogether in the warranty section. I have almost everything people fear, the weird dim pixel, major color banding, DSE/horizontal banding, which looks like a faint bright or dim horizontal line across the center of the screen, especially with vertical camera pans on mostly bright white solid screens, as well as darker grays or mixed colors with film grain, also, glitchy software, lackluster color reproduction, etc.

Posted a picture of the weird dim pixel.

Attachments

• i84amkvi4vp81.jpg
    i84amkvi4vp81.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 168

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom