• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Q90R with atmos or a component system with Elac/Klipsch bookshelf speakers

Funkdr

Novice Member
Hello all,

I have read endless threads on the soundbar vs component comparison , here is my situation, I'll try to keep this concise:

Budget - about £1000

Room - small living room approximately 7x5m (see attached picture

TV - LG oled c9 or B9? will be wall mounted above fireplace.

Source - Netflix and amazon prime for series and movies, nothing else, no blue ray, no gaming system

Choices - Samsung Q90R or Sony STRDN1080 (£420) and ELac B6.2 or possibly Klipsch RP-600m

I was set on buying a Samsung Q90R , rated as Best in class by AV forums and costs about a grand, on checking through used listings I realised how quickly these things loose value in 2-3 years and become old tech. On the other hand component systems seem more flexible and upgradable. So the questions to you all are

1. For this small a space will an initial investment in some good bookshelf speakers and an AV receiver give a similar (or better) effect to the Samsung Q90R?

2. Is wiring a component system in this space going to be a nightmare? Should I just stick to the simple solution

3. Is a q90r with rear speakers overkill for such a space? The speakers would essentially be at my side and not behind me.

I've asked a similar question on the speaker forum to keep it balanced as each group will be biased to one side of the argument. Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• 20200823_144413.jpg
    20200823_144413.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 66

keithwiggins

The reason why these types of bars loose such phenomenal value is because there manufacturers are locked into a constant cycle of minor improvements with each passing year ,which begets new model numbers , and pricing thus devaluing your existing purchase.
i came from a high end seperates system to soundbars several years ago, i liked the idea of a simple solution that serviced all my needs rather than lots of different parts and leads scattered throughout the lounge, and of course a one box solution is a real wife pleaser.
So im going to reccomend what i own, it wont be changed every twelve months and will deliver on a sound quality basis a sound more akin to quality seperates rather than a sound bar. I own the beosound stage, just been awarded Eisa premium soundbar of the year, T3 , best soundbar of the year as well as a great many excellent reviews online including on here.
It does not require a seperate sub, delivers 550 watt rms and sounds sublime.
Richer sounds offer it with a 6 year warranty, tysons offer the standard 3 , software support will go on for years.
Try to listen to one in a store if not buy online you can return any purchase within 14 days.

Last edited:

BeefS2

If you can do separates, you’ll be happier in the long run. I have the q90r, and it’s great. I don’t have room for separates in my setup, and I have to keep wires to a minimum to keep everyone happy. Rear speakers do make a difference in my opinion. The q90r probably sounds better than some separates setups, but you still have a much higher ceiling for improving sound quality. You’ll have more flexibility with replacing or adding gear, and you’ll get more for your money.

I like the q90r, but i can’t upgrade or add anything without getting a whole new soundbar system. Sonos can be modular, but like Apple you can only add Sonos speakers and components. Once I have the room I’m looking forward to diving into the separates rabbit hole.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Separates also lose value there days over soundbars. Look at the classifieds and eBay. It's a bloodbath. People are struggling to shift even at a decent price. Man reason being logistics.

Also I am not sure if you can get 7.1.4 separates with AVR for under £1000 unless you find used ones for cheap or okay with 5.1.2.

With separates you are good to go on a long run without having to bother about minor incremental upgrades these soundbars get.

Rizvan

I have to add that my 5.1.2 AVR + speaker setup sounds way better than my 7.1.4 sound bars, however it needed a bit of tweaking to get it right.
It all comes down to your budget in all honesty, the latest generation sound bars aren't bad at all but at £1500 approx for the latest sound bars, its not cheap.

Funkdr

Novice Member
The reason why these types of bars loose such phenomenal value is because there manufacturers are locked into a constant cycle of minor improvements with each passing year ,which begets new model numbers , and pricing thus devaluing your existing purchase.
i came from a high end seperates system to soundbars several years ago, i liked the idea of a simple solution that serviced all my needs rather than lots of different parts and leads scattered throughout the lounge, and of course a one box solution is a real wife pleaser.
So im going to reccomend what i own, it wont be changed every twelve months and will deliver on a sound quality basis a sound more akin to quality seperates rather than a sound bar. I own the beosound stage, just been awarded Eisa premium soundbar of the year, T3 , best soundbar of the year as well as a great many excellent reviews online including on here.
It does not require a seperate sub, delivers 550 watt rms and sounds sublime.
Richer sounds offer it with a 6 year warranty, tysons offer the standard 3 , software support will go on for years.
Try to listen to one in a store if not buy online you can return any purchase within 14 days.
Thank you Keith, didn't even know B&O made a soundbar, very little as far as youtube reviews but looks class. I'll have to listen to it to be convinced that I don't need a sub , I note the highly rates (almost twice as expensive) Sennheiser model also comes without a dedicated sub but need to experience this in person, will pop into my local richer sounds to have a look.

Funkdr

Novice Member
If you can do separates, you’ll be happier in the long run. I have the q90r, and it’s great. I don’t have room for separates in my setup, and I have to keep wires to a minimum to keep everyone happy. Rear speakers do make a difference in my opinion. The q90r probably sounds better than some separates setups, but you still have a much higher ceiling for improving sound quality. You’ll have more flexibility with replacing or adding gear, and you’ll get more for your money.

I like the q90r, but i can’t upgrade or add anything without getting a whole new soundbar system. Sonos can be modular, but like Apple you can only add Sonos speakers and components. Once I have the room I’m looking forward to diving into the separates rabbit hole.
Thanks for the input, can I ask you about the whole atmos thing? I've never experienced it, The wife and I watch some netflix and prime tv as mentioned, is there good convincing atmos content out there using streaming sources? Also for a room the size of ours (see pic ) is the q90 overkill, considering the rears will be literally placed beside us on the table?

Funkdr

Novice Member
Separates also lose value there days over soundbars. Look at the classifieds and eBay. It's a bloodbath. People are struggling to shift even at a decent price. Man reason being logistics.

Also I am not sure if you can get 7.1.4 separates with AVR for under £1000 unless you find used ones for cheap or okay with 5.1.2.

With separates you are good to go on a long run without having to bother about minor incremental upgrades these soundbars get.
That is indeed part of the temptation, lots of good deals for highly rates speakers on ebay and gumtree for speakers, and it seems that if you're willing to live with the inconvenience of the large floor standing speakers there's even better value to be had on the used market.

Funkdr

Novice Member
I have to add that my 5.1.2 AVR + speaker setup sounds way better than my 7.1.4 sound bars, however it needed a bit of tweaking to get it right.
It all comes down to your budget in all honesty, the latest generation sound bars aren't bad at all but at £1500 approx for the latest sound bars, its not cheap.
True that Rizwan , I started off trying to buy a Yamaha Yas-207 off ebay and things quickly escalated from there, no looking at circa £1k and I'm thinking is this too much for a soundbar? But also considering weather all these speakers for such a small space is overkill , maybe a 2.1 will suffice? Coming from standard TV sound I think I'll be easily impressed. Really need to go listen to some of this stuff in person

Rizvan

True that Rizwan , I started off trying to buy a Yamaha Yas-207 off ebay and things quickly escalated from there, no looking at circa £1k and I'm thinking is this too much for a soundbar? But also considering weather all these speakers for such a small space is overkill , maybe a 2.1 will suffice? Coming from standard TV sound I think I'll be easily impressed. Really need to go listen to some of this stuff in person
If I am being honest, the old Samsung N950 was pretty decent, the Q90 is a upgrade and is better.
I think the best advice would be to get yourself down to a Currys / PCWorld retail store as they tend to have them available for demo's. :)
I was blown away by the N950 when I first heard it and was sold on the whole Atmos sound bar route. :)

BeefS2

If I am being honest, the old Samsung N950 was pretty decent, the Q90 is a upgrade and is better.
I think the best advice would be to get yourself down to a Currys / PCWorld retail store as they tend to have them available for demo's. :)
I was blown away by the N950 when I first heard it and was sold on the whole Atmos sound bar route. :)
I’d agree. Try to see if you can go hear some demos. I don’t think the q90r will be overkill. You’ll want to get the bar as close to ear level as you can. Make sure to leave a little room between soundbar and tv, you don’t want to block the upfiring drivers on the bar. I have a similar setup with a couch against a wall. I put a thin table behind and set the rears on the table at either end of the couch facing the center of the couch (about where I usually sit)

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Never underestimate some of the high end soundbars. They can be close to separates as an overall package. Where they have been lacking is that guttural bass and precision.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom