[Q900T] Low bass with different movies/content

affo

Novice Member
Reaction score
TLDR:
Very low subwoofer in certain movies. Which audio codec quality doesn't seem to matter.

Hi guys, First time poster. Sry if I've missunderstood what loudness and low frequency bass is. So please correct me where I'm wrong.

I recently got a Samsung Q900T, and it is impressive, most of the time. Compared to my old 5.1 setup.

But the low bass (the low frequency-hit your chest-bass?) only pops up sometimes.
Sometimes it's like a movie theatre in my living room and my whole house is rocking. Other times the subwoofer is almost non existent.

Good and low bass:

Wonderwoman 1984 Google Movie in 4k and "regular audio (Dolby digital?)".
TMNT Out of the Shadows on 4k Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos.
And games with my pc.

But when I watch (and some of these have got really good reviews for the sound) the subwoofer doesn't stand out all:

The Matrix 4k Blu-ray Dolby (True HD?) Atmos
Tenet 4k Blu-ray DTS MA HD (can't tell what codec is being used, beacuse the soundbar doesn't have this feature).
Resident Evil 1-6 4k Blu-ray Dolby Atmos

The sound is just loud. I have to crank it up to like 16-20 to get some bass, but then there's just ALL BASE (muddy), no distinct low frequency "thuds". And in some action scenes it way to loud for my ears (and probably my neighbours too lol). And in most of these movies with less bass, if I crank down the volume the bass dissapears almost entirely and the center channel is very low, so the dialogue is hard to tell.
-6 or +6 on the speaker volumes doesn't do much difference.

Sometimes it doesn't feel like the woofer volume does anything. And the other bass volume just increases the bass on the soundbar, raising the annoying loudness and muddiness.

I've done the base crawl and found a good spot for my woofer, where the sound was the least muddy.

I've tried the -6 speaker volume settings (and it was fantastic, to get rid of the loudness) and the custom eq from a post here on Av forum.

I've tried maxing all bass settings, but it's like some movies just don't want to hit those low frequency parts of the bass. And it's just loud and noisy.

Does this sound familiar to anyone with a q900t or q950t?

Is this normal? And/or should I try to return it and look for another? Which is the best option for really low distinct bass and with most feautures like the 900/950t? Sonos arc+sub?

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you! TIA!

TLDR:
Very low subwoofer in certain movies. Which audio codec quality doesn't seem to matter.

Hi guys, First time poster. Sry if I've missunderstood what loudness and low frequency bass is. So please correct me where I'm wrong.

I recently got a Samsung Q900T, and it is impressive, most of the time. Compared to my old 5.1 setup.

But the low bass (the low frequency-hit your chest-bass?) only pops up sometimes.
Sometimes it's like a movie theatre in my living room and my whole house is rocking. Other times the subwoofer is almost non existent.

Good and low bass:

Wonderwoman 1984 Google Movie in 4k and "regular audio (Dolby digital?)".
TMNT Out of the Shadows on 4k Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos.
And games with my pc.

But when I watch (and some of these have got really good reviews for the sound) the subwoofer doesn't stand out all:

The Matrix 4k Blu-ray Dolby (True HD?) Atmos
Tenet 4k Blu-ray DTS MA HD (can't tell what codec is being used, beacuse the soundbar doesn't have this feature).
Resident Evil 1-6 4k Blu-ray Dolby Atmos

The sound is just loud. I have to crank it up to like 16-20 to get some bass, but then there's just ALL BASE (muddy), no distinct low frequency "thuds". And in some action scenes it way to loud for my ears (and probably my neighbours too lol). And in most of these movies with less bass, if I crank down the volume the bass dissapears almost entirely and the center channel is very low, so the dialogue is hard to tell.
-6 or +6 on the speaker volumes doesn't do much difference.

Sometimes it doesn't feel like the woofer volume does anything. And the other bass volume just increases the bass on the soundbar, raising the annoying loudness and muddiness.

I've done the base crawl and found a good spot for my woofer, where the sound was the least muddy.

I've tried the -6 speaker volume settings (and it was fantastic, to get rid of the loudness) and the custom eq from a post here on Av forum.

I've tried maxing all bass settings, but it's like some movies just don't want to hit those low frequency parts of the bass. And it's just loud and noisy.

Does this sound familiar to anyone with a q900t or q950t?

Is this normal? And/or should I try to return it and look for another? Which is the best option for really low distinct bass and with most feautures like the 900/950t? Sonos arc+sub?

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you! TIA!
Not familiar with q900t, but you would be better calibrating with a sound meter if, there are options in menu to customise db level using whitenoise and distance.

I have a sony Zf9 and found the opposite bass was overpowering until I calibrated it. Even then bass was dialled down a few dbs for neighbours as whole house felt like it was shaking with content like opening sequence in overlord.

I would expect a q900t to be as good as, if not exceed what the htzf9 does.

I found both tenet and the matrix trilogy to have good bass.

Are you watching content from 4k bluerays or streaming?

This will impact on how much bass you experience.

Not familiar with q900t, but you would be better calibrating with a sound meter if, there are options in menu to customise db level using whitenoise and distance.

I have a sony Zf9 and found the opposite bass was overpowering until I calibrated it. Even then bass was dialled down a few dbs for neighbours as whole house felt like it was shaking with content like opening sequence in overlord.

I would expect a q900t to be as good as, if not exceed what the htzf9 does.

I found both tenet and the matrix trilogy to have good bass.

Are you watching content from 4k bluerays or streaming?

This will impact on how much bass you experience.
The bass in soundbar is very powerful always. It creates a annoying loudness, so to get somewhat good sound I have to turn down the soundbar bass setting. But keeping the woofer at default/or higher setting.

Even if I keep the soundbar bass at default or higher, the woofer doesn't seem as powerful in all movies, just some.

Interestingly enough the deep subwoofer bass seems more common in "regular non-4k SDR" streams. Watched the old movie The Island last night via Chromecast with the Viaplay phone app (like a Nordic Amazon Prime) and the woofer bass blew me away. My guess this is some regular Dolby Digital codec or alike.

Both Tenet and Matrix were 4k Blurays.

The bass in soundbar is very powerful always. It creates a annoying loudness, so to get somewhat good sound I have to turn down the soundbar bass setting. But keeping the woofer at default/or higher setting.

Even if I keep the soundbar bass at default or higher, the woofer doesn't seem as powerful in all movies, just some.

Interestingly enough the deep subwoofer bass seems more common in "regular non-4k SDR" streams. Watched the old movie The Island last night via Chromecast with the Viaplay phone app (like a Nordic Amazon Prime) and the woofer bass blew me away. My guess this is some regular Dolby Digital codec or alike.

Both Tenet and Matrix were 4k Blurays.

Have you calibrated your soundbar?

Nope. Is that something that a professional
does?
No you should be able to do that yourself.

Do you have a white noise generator/ test tone built into your soundbar?

If you do and soundbar has db level adjustments and ability to set speaker distances for all speakers, then all you need is a soundmeter app on your phone.

If you can calibrate it you will get a more balanced sound.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom