Question Q85R shipping damage, should I accept it?

TomasoRock

Novice Member
Dear Forum,

Upon reading the forum trying to figure out what type of TV should I buy I got to a decision that the 2019 Samsung Q85R would be the best choice for me. I was lucky enough to get the last one QE65Q85RA from a TV outlet for a nice price around 1100 EUR. It was said that the set is new, and it was opened once for testing and has been repackaged. After it got shipped to me the set indeed looks and smells :) new.

However, upon looking closer on the screen surface to remove some tiny thumbprints around the edges with a moisty microfiber cloth unfortunately I found some ‘skid marks’ :( around the bottom right corner of the screen. You can see them on the attached photos.

These are not scratches I cannot feel any physical damage with my finger. Luckily, these are not affecting the picture quality since with the TV turned on and viewing from a normal distance these ‘skid marks’ are virtually nonexistent. They can only be noticed in a light room on a dark background or with the TV off but only from looking the affected area way closer than optimal and from an angle.

Still these marks do bother me a bit and I would like to know how and why they got there and if there is any method to remove them.

I reached out to the TV outlet and they said that upon shipping the Styrofoam wrapping ‘blanket’ must have bruised the screen a bit and that this happens all the time especially with QLED TV’s since they have a thin graphite foil layer on the screen surface which is very sensitive. And that this type of issue cannot be avoided.

What do you think is this information correct or just some mumbo jumbo?

I do not think that every shipped QLED TV has this issue. With the original never opened factory packaging surely not. When opened once and repackaged I think it is just the matter of clumsy vs proper handling.

Anyway, is there any way to remove these marks or I just have to live with them?
And this set for 1100 EUR even with these bruising marks was still a good bang for the buck?
Should I try to ship it back and ask for a refund? What do you think? Thank you!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
There not normal as I’m sure you really know , even if you can’t see them with the TV on they would drive me insane .....

freddefred

There not normal as I’m sure you really know , even if you can’t see them with the TV on they would drive me insane .....
Dear Forum,

Upon reading the forum trying to figure out what type of TV should I buy I got to a decision that the 2019 Samsung Q85R would be the best choice for me. I was lucky enough to get the last one QE65Q85RA from a TV outlet for a nice price around 1100 EUR. It was said that the set is new, and it was opened once for testing and has been repackaged. After it got shipped to me the set indeed looks and smells :) new.

However, upon looking closer on the screen surface to remove some tiny thumbprints around the edges with a moisty microfiber cloth unfortunately I found some ‘skid marks’ :( around the bottom right corner of the screen. You can see them on the attached photos.

These are not scratches I cannot feel any physical damage with my finger. Luckily, these are not affecting the picture quality since with the TV turned on and viewing from a normal distance these ‘skid marks’ are virtually nonexistent. They can only be noticed in a light room on a dark background or with the TV off but only from looking the affected area way closer than optimal and from an angle.

Still these marks do bother me a bit and I would like to know how and why they got there and if there is any method to remove them.

I reached out to the TV outlet and they said that upon shipping the Styrofoam wrapping ‘blanket’ must have bruised the screen a bit and that this happens all the time especially with QLED TV’s since they have a thin graphite foil layer on the screen surface which is very sensitive. And that this type of issue cannot be avoided.

I do not think that every shipped QLED TV has this issue. With the original never opened factory packaging surely not. When opened once and repackaged I think it is just the matter of clumsy vs proper handling.

Anyway, is there any way to remove these marks or I just have to live with them?
And this set for 1100 EUR even with these bruising marks was still a good bang for the buck?
Should I try to ship it back and ask for a refund? What do you think? Thank you!
i would return it as soon as poss, i recieved tv with mark on screen still i know it,s there and bug,s me constantly, SEND IT BACK,

freddefred

Dear Forum,

i would return it as soon as poss, i recieved tv with mark on screen still i know it,s there and bug,s me constantly, SEND IT BACK,

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom