Q80T / Q90T Owner? What is your experience with Dirty Screen Effect (DSE) ?

Adarby5053

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased a Q80T last week, a great TV but I had to return it due to DSE which was noticeable during football. I replaced this with a Q90T, however it has the same noticeable DSE. After some research, this clearly seems to be widespread.

I'm running this thread on the Official Samsung TV Forums, AVforums and on Reddit in the hope that we can gather some experience on the issue. Whenever I try to search for people's experience on this, it is fairly difficult to gain a decent number of experiences.

My main questions are:

1) Have you experienced this with a Q80T or Q90T, if so, how much? Is it noticeable during sports to the point of being a distraction?

2) How is it for games? Noticeable on skyboxes / games like FIFA or Sea of Thieves where the colour is uniform?

3) Did you replace the TV and receive an improved panel?

4) Did you have an engineer replace the panel? Was this an improvement?

5) Do you have any pictures of your panel which could indicate the severity of the issue? This may help add to a solid 'bank' of experiences.

I am basically with a Q90T where the returns period runs out in two weeks. I am trying to determine whether it is worth sending back.

Here are a few pictures of my panel. The rather stark looking one was taken in night mode and was a full black screen. It seems to indicate a large black blob in the middle though which corresponds with the marks in the grey tests.

Attachments

• PXL_20201003_235035349.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201003_235035349.MP.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,285
  • PXL_20201003_235127718.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201003_235127718.NIGHT.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,990
  • PXL_20201003_235444349.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201003_235444349.MP.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,754
I have a Q95T, i don't suffer from DSE , i made some tests yersterday using skyboxes in games.

from your pictures , what you are watching is not DSE , but uniformity problems linked with local dimming. Uniformity can be checked with a flat colour surface. DSE is kind of grey dust on a static place, that is only visible on moving /panning scenes with a sky with near uniform colour.

try to set the local dimming to low , it may be less visible. for Q80T owners , it has lower number of local dimming zones and will show more uniformity problems. but i see uniformity problems too on my Q95T. it is not a tv sample problem , it is linked to this technology, the only thing you can do , is too lower the luminosity settings and set local dimming to low... or buy an oled.

Last edited:
I have a Q95T, i don't suffer from DSE , i made some tests yersterday using skyboxes in games.

from your pictures , what you are watching is not DSE , but uniformity problems linked with local dimming. Uniformity can be checked with a flat colour surface. DSE is kind of grey dust on a static place, that is only visible on moving /panning scenes with a sky with near uniform colour.

try to set the local dimming to low , it may be less visible. for Q80T owners , it has lower number of local dimming zones and will show more uniformity problems. but i see uniformity problems too on my Q95T. it is not a tv sample problem , it is linked to this technology, the only thing you can do , is too lower the luminosity settings and set local dimming to low... or buy an oled.

It seems to be prominent in showing horizonal and vertical lines down the screen when watching sports and looking at skyboxes though?

Encouraging that you don't notice it on skyboxes. I must admit those pictures were taken hastily before I went to bed. I'm having real issue with games like FIFA, the lines are like a set of vertical blinds that sweep across the screen. Not much change even when clicking to low dimming mode or adjusting the backlight.

I notice a gridlike pattern on mine. It can be really annoying if you know that it's there. It's almost never visible in movies though.
I guess this TV is not suited for ice hockey fans.

I notice a gridlike pattern on mine. It can be really annoying if you know that it's there. It's almost never visible in movies though.
I guess this TV is not suited for ice hockey fans.

Did you get it exchanged or have you kept it?

I kept it. I'm watching mainly movies on it an the gridlines are almost never visible in movies. OLED is not an option for me.
I'm in two minds, mine is only noticeable playing certain games, but when I do see, it really annoys me. I'm tempted to exchange mine.

Like you, OLED isn't an option for me either.

all dse like or grid like descriptions are uniformity problems due to the local dimming, dse cannot be seen on a static image , it comes only when you watch a panning scene , example camera following a player on sport. at this time you may detect like a dusty part somewhere. this is DSE. our main problem on Q90T is the uniformity due to local dimming lights. that are in less number than Q90R and the panel algorithm is not able to fully compensate.

Can you please take a look at my new 65q90t? Do we know what causes the purple border? In my case the problem become worse at the right side. Is it something with the anticlare coating?

Attachments

• IMG_2722.JPG
    IMG_2722.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,345
  • IMG_2723.JPG
    IMG_2723.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_2724.JPG
    IMG_2724.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_2725.JPG
    IMG_2725.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 964
Can you please take a look at my new 65q90t? Do we know what causes the purple border? In my case the problem become worse at the right side. Is it something with the anticlare coating?

not with these pictures

Take a Picture Send It
Sample Photo,Bad If You See This
20201123_220640.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think that it suffers too much from DSE. What bothers me the most is the thicker purple border at the right side. What do you think??

Attachments

• 60FE2BE5-CC86-40E2-8863-03FE69DA09C0.jpeg
    60FE2BE5-CC86-40E2-8863-03FE69DA09C0.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,076
  • BB987F03-9067-4ED8-AA41-7C258D02C141.jpeg
    BB987F03-9067-4ED8-AA41-7C258D02C141.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,124
"purple border"
I have not seen it in anyone( Q95/90T Users)
Panel Problem right Side,(va glow) Probably
Dse the better of the bad
Interesting Problem,Request an Exchange or Refund .
60FE2BE5-CC86-40E2-8863-03FE69DA09C0.jpeg

Is it possible that an electromagnetic field cold cause this? Like from my AV speakers? I’ve seen a post somewhere that has something to do with the anti-reflective coating

Just bought the Q80T and investigating this issue for myself. Paying almost 3k for this TV there should be zero vertical bands.

Sadly when watching anything, all i see if the massive line down the center of the screen, killing the entertainment for me as this is all I can see.

Attachments

• TV 1.jpg
    TV 1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,256
  • TV 2.jpg
    TV 2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,564

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom