Q80T for £879 should I buy

sgarbett364

Standard Member
Reaction score
Through work discount scheme I can get 20% off with Samsung direct and so can get a Q80T for £879.

I've been wanting a "big purchase" TV for a while and have a 1k budget and so wondering what to do

Advantages:
  • Its as good as last years popular Q70R, but with 1x HDMI 2.1 port, thus all HDMI 2.1 features.
  • For this time of year when TVs are overpriced, you get a discount.

Disadvantages:
  • The Samsung Q70R was selling for as little as £700 when it sold out. This is more expensive.
  • Samsung only give a 1 year warranty, whereas if you wait for Black Friday you'll find similar deals with extended warranties.
  • It only has 1x HDMI 2.1 port.
With a 1k budget myself I'd be hoping to splash out on the LG BX OLED once its price comes down, or if I wanted an LCD TV, the Q90T will reach 1k eventually. If I needed to buy now and didn't need HDMI 2.1 I'd buy the Philips OLED754 which is a 2019 model, and sub 1k in price. This is much better value than opting for a new 2020 model for almost the same price now. If buying now there are also better LCD TVs for the money, for example last years Sony XG9505 or XF9005, both available as refurbs also:
You can actually pay extra to get an extended warranty too.

I can maybe wait a while or even until early next year but now I've started looking I want one now.

So what would you recommend between

The OLED754 or xg9505.

I can't help but worry about burn in but don't particularly watch anything that should cause issues. That said my young daughter does have cbeebies on during the day and that does have revolving logo sometimes

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
There's a bit about burn in here: OLED Burn In Risk you should evaluate whether you feel you are at risk or not. If the logo is going to be used on a regular basis consistently then it may be a risk. If its something that comes and goes, and won't account for most of the viewing, its not a risk. LG TVs also have a logo dimming feature you can use to help reduce the risk of it happening. Last thing to note is if you buy from John Lewis and also buy accidental cover for the TV, it covers burn in.

If you are comparing OLEDs, the GZ950 is really a better all round TV than the Philips, but its also refurbished.

The Sony XG9505 is about the only good value LCD TV at the moment if you decide to go with an LCD TV instead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom