Q80T Dirty screen effect - normal?

Adarby5053

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've just bought a 55 inch Q80T. It's a fantastic TV and great for gaming, but I have some dirty screen effect when watching sports. Unfortunately, once I notice it, it's impossible to un-notice.

Has anyone had experience with this?

I've tried to organise a replacement, but the Q80T is out of stock so I won't be able to swap it without a bit of a carry on.

So:

1) Has anyone returned their unit and got an improved panel back?
2) Am I being too picky? Is some noticeable effect standard on panning images for sports?
3) I'm toying with the idea of paying an extra £300 to get the Q90T - is the upgrade substantial?

I've got a Q90R and I've started to get annoyed by my DSE. Only really appears when watching say football but as I'm watching more nowadays it's become more of an issue. I've raised my issue with Samsung as it's under warranty but I'm not sure if you can get completely DSE QLEDs so I'd be interested if other owners can comment as well.

I've got a Q90R and I've started to get annoyed by my DSE. Only really appears when watching say football but as I'm watching more nowadays it's become more of an issue. I've raised my issue with Samsung as it's under warranty but I'm not sure if you can get completely DSE QLEDs so I'd be interested if other owners can comment as well.
I have the q90t and it too suffers with some DSE but to be honest when watching the tv and sport I watch it’s unnoticeable so doesn’t affect my viewing. I’d be keen to know though if your sceens also suffer with ‘dead’ pixels? I only found out I had these dead pixels when I did the YouTube DSE test and on white and standing a few cm from the screen there are about 7-8 (one looks like it’s potentially 2 next to each other).

I checked the manual though and Samsung cover this by stating that due to the complex nature of manufacturing etc that you may notice a ‘few’ dark dots on screen (dead pixels) it’s basically normal. Here is the line from manual:

• This TFT LED panel is made up of sub pixels which require sophisticated technology to produce. There may be, however, a few bright or dark pixels on the screen. These pixels will have no impact on the performance of the product.

so Just wanted to know really if other people’s screens has this issue? From normal viewing distances you can’t tell so doesn’t affect my viewing but just a bit annoying now I know they are there.

Not noticed any dead pixels on mine.
Ok thank you, did you check with a white screen and up close? From normal viewing distance I can’t see anything and unless it’s a white screen I wouldn’t notice either.

So I've just bought a 55 inch Q80T. It's a fantastic TV and great for gaming, but I have some dirty screen effect when watching sports. Unfortunately, once I notice it, it's impossible to un-notice.

Has anyone had experience with this?

I've tried to organise a replacement, but the Q80T is out of stock so I won't be able to swap it without a bit of a carry on.

So:

1) Has anyone returned their unit and got an improved panel back?
2) Am I being too picky? Is some noticeable effect standard on panning images for sports?
3) I'm toying with the idea of paying an extra £300 to get the Q90T - is the upgrade substantial?

A picture or perhaps better a video would be helpful in determinig whether the amount of DSE that you have is normal or not. Use a DSE test video on youtube, and maybe even see if you can capture it with some actual content as well.

You have to expect some DSE on an LCD, and based on all the reviews I have read Samsung LCDs are usually worse at this then Sony LCDs, which tend to be quite clean. (Can't comment on other brands, as I have not looked much at them.) My recently purchased 65" Q95T has absolutely horrible DSE / visible FALD grid pattern, but apparently I am getting it replaced. Hopefully the new one will be better.

A picture or perhaps better a video would be helpful in determinig whether the amount of DSE that you have is normal or not. Use a DSE test video on youtube, and maybe even see if you can capture it with some actual content as well.

You have to expect some DSE on an LCD, and based on all the reviews I have read Samsung LCDs are usually worse at this then Sony LCDs, which tend to be quite clean. (Can't comment on other brands, as I have not looked much at them.) My recently purchased 65" Q95T has absolutely horrible DSE / visible FALD grid pattern, but apparently I am getting it replaced. Hopefully the new one will be better.

Went in to Curry's earlier just to check the screen - had one of the standard fruit / drizzling oil demo videos on. The Samsung rep actually put a football video on and it was much improved. I would recommend replacing it if you can, I was on the fence about it but after seeing how discrete it was instore, I will be returning.

How did the new one look? Improved?

How'd it look in the end?

Wrote about it in the Q90T thread. Much better than the first. Still not great, but it will do. It's most noticeable in scenes with lots of gray/white sky. I'm keeping it for now, as I've spent way too much time on this already. But I will probably go for a Sony next time. Samsung is too much hit and miss with the DSE, and the apparent lack of quality control is disconcerting.

Wrote about it in the Q90T thread. Much better than the first. Still not great, but I'll manage. It's most noticeable in scenes with lots of gray/white sky. I'm keeping it for now, as I've spent way too much time on this already. But I will probably go for a Sony next time. Samsung is too much hit and miss with the DSE, and the apparent lack of quality control is disconcerting.

I hadn't realised you were the same guy, I saw that the other day. In terms of if you watched football, do you get any vertical bands similar to the first TV picture when the camera pans?

I've got one now that is better than the first, but still doesn't look great for sports. Have the option to exchange at Currys this evening but trying to determine whether it's even worth it!

I don't watch football, so I can't really say. I can test it tonight and let you know, but that may be to late for you?

I was able to take a quick break from work and check out a 4K football clip on youtube. The vertical bands are definitely visible when the camera pans across the field. So yeah, not great.

It is just a question of bad luck. My Q70R is almost perfect in that regard. Previous Q9FN was much worse.

I was able to take a quick break from work and check out a 4K football clip on youtube. The vertical bands are definitely visible when the camera pans across the field. So yeah, not great.

Hey thanks for checking. I actually returned the TV and ended up with a panel that was great on one side, shockingly bad on the other. That said, I've returned tonight and got the new one set up and it is night and day how much better it is. You've got to really really look for it, no longer in your face or a distraction. If anyone reads this and can keep returning , it's annoying but worth it. It took me three goes. What I would say too, is all of those from Samsung had really bad DSE. I got lucky with the third from Currys in the end.

Here is a pic of that awful one I had last night. Shocking!! Literally a stripe!!

PXL_20201104_003521937.MP.jpg

had an engineer out twice over this issue,and all I get is "its within the parameters of tv"
Bloody annoying, like you say once seen your eyes are drawn to it

had an engineer out twice over this issue,and all I get is "its within the parameters of tv"
Bloody annoying, like you say once seen your eyes are drawn to it
Which retailer did you buy it from, Can't you swap it out?

So I realize this thread is 4 months old or so, but I just wanted to toss my hat in the ring so to speak. So I bought a Samsung Q70T a month ago, and the dreaded DSE/Vertical Banding is definitely present on my unit. I haven't made an attempt to return yet as I purchased through QVC and I am terrified of what kind of nightmare process that might entail, but I will offer some hope to those that have posted here and that may come across this thread through as Google search like I did....
1. The DSE/Vertical Banding HAS actually seemed to get better the more I use the the TV
2. There is a video on YouTube titled something like "Dirty Screen Effect/Vertical Banding screen fix 4K 9 Hours", (and yes it actually IS 9 hours long) that is essentially a black screen with a vertical white rectangle that pans from left to right and right to left for 9 hours, I was skeptical, but even after a couple hours on this video I noticed HUGE improvements. I did notice that it seems a lot more effective when using the tv's YouTube app as opposed to the YouTube app on my Xbox Series X that I was using originally, not sure why, just something to consider. I have been throwing this video on for several hours when I leave the house or I'm not going to be using the tv for extended periods, and each time it seems to get a bit more bearable.

I hope this helps some people who are suffering from the same buyer's remorse that I was feeling out of the box.

The panel was replaced (local dimming failure) on my new q80t a few weeks ago. DSE was worse on the original panel but hardly noticeable on the replacement.

They all suffer from it to varying degrees.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom