Q70T dead pixels - Need advice

Najk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought the Samsung Q70T (65" model) when the local store had a great deal as it only cost me about 950 dollars (682 GBP).

The good:
  • I am very happy with my TV: It has minimal dirty screen effect and no banding (that I can see). When doing stress tests on YouTube to spot dirty screen effect and banding I have very clean results.
  • It works stunningly good for the main purpose I use it: Gaming on my Series X with HDMI 2.1-port and sharp picture.
  • For the low price I paid I am very happy with the performance received.
The bad:
  • Upon closer inspection, I have found 3 dead pixels. They are always black and does not seem to work since they don't lit up at all, hence they are "dead". That is generally bad according to many users (myself included). Although I know that this is a part of the LCD-technology and can happen to all sorts of TV-brands.
However:
  • The pixels are spread out at "good places" (one far up in the left corner, one far up in the right corner and one far down in the right corner - all of them very close to the bezels. In other words: Not in the field of view for me.
  • They are only visible if I sit straight in front of them at really close range, less than 1 metre (3.2 ft) from the TV. Since the TV is quite large I sit around 2,7 metres (8,8 ft) from the TV - where they are not visible at all. One of them is also only visible when looking straight at it and changing the position makes it "dissapear".
  • They are only visible when there is a very bright and static background, which I do not really count as normal use - but more of a test-environment (dead pixel finders on YouTube for example). In normal viewing/gaming from my distance they are not visible. In fact, I would probably not even have discovered them from the start if it weren't for me cleaning the set with my eyes more or less in physical contact with the TV. Would they have been red or green it would probably be worse...

I do have a couple of questions that I would love to get som inpout
  1. What concerns me is if these dead pixels should "spread" and increase in numbers. I do not have enough knowledge as to this could happen.
  2. Can dead pixels "come alive"?
  3. Finally - would you guys return the set? I am well within return-period since I have 30 days with the company and I just got the TV. What "scares" me to do this is that the next set might be even worse (the infamous panel-lottery). I am really sensitive do dirty screen effect as I use the TV primarly for my Xbox, and right now I feel that I could live with those pixels being dead as long as they don't spread.

Hello,

I recently bought the Samsung Q70T (65" model) when the local store had a great deal as it only cost me about 950 dollars (682 GBP).

The good:
  • I am very happy with my TV: It has minimal dirty screen effect and no banding (that I can see). When doing stress tests on YouTube to spot dirty screen effect and banding I have very clean results.
  • It works stunningly good for the main purpose I use it: Gaming on my Series X with HDMI 2.1-port and sharp picture.
  • For the low price I paid I am very happy with the performance received.
The bad:
  • Upon closer inspection, I have found 3 dead pixels. They are always black and does not seem to work since they don't lit up at all, hence they are "dead". That is generally bad according to many users (myself included). Although I know that this is a part of the LCD-technology and can happen to all sorts of TV-brands.
However:
  • The pixels are spread out at "good places" (one far up in the left corner, one far up in the right corner and one far down in the right corner - all of them very close to the bezels. In other words: Not in the field of view for me.
  • They are only visible if I sit straight in front of them at really close range, less than 1 metre (3.2 ft) from the TV. Since the TV is quite large I sit around 2,7 metres (8,8 ft) from the TV - where they are not visible at all. One of them is also only visible when looking straight at it and changing the position makes it "dissapear".
  • They are only visible when there is a very bright and static background, which I do not really count as normal use - but more of a test-environment (dead pixel finders on YouTube for example). In normal viewing/gaming from my distance they are not visible. In fact, I would probably not even have discovered them from the start if it weren't for me cleaning the set with my eyes more or less in physical contact with the TV. Would they have been red or green it would probably be worse...

I do have a couple of questions that I would love to get som inpout
  1. What concerns me is if these dead pixels should "spread" and increase in numbers. I do not have enough knowledge as to this could happen.
  2. Can dead pixels "come alive"?
  3. Finally - would you guys return the set? I am well within return-period since I have 30 days with the company and I just got the TV. What "scares" me to do this is that the next set might be even worse (the infamous panel-lottery). I am really sensitive do dirty screen effect as I use the TV primarly for my Xbox, and right now I feel that I could live with those pixels being dead as long as they don't spread.
I'd simply return the set since your still within your 30day period.
Far as I'm aware dead or stuck pixels can not be repaired and there's always the chance it could get worse

Hello,
usually when pixels start dying the just die and die. You should get a LCD replacement. Nothing else you can do about it.

Hello,
usually when pixels start dying the just die and die. You should get a LCD replacement. Nothing else you can do about it.
My understanding is different as I too also have dead pixels on a q90t. Probably around 10 spread out in different places. Ive done a lot of reading up on it and sounds like it’s a manufacturing defect but is normal. It even says in the manual for the tv that a number of pixels may appear always dark or always bright due to complexity of manufacturing process but state it’s normal.

I can confirm that since I noticed the pixels upon receipt of the tv, I’ve now had the tv 6 or 7 months and they haven’t got worse.

It is still different case by case. Sometimes it is dying due to overheating -> overvoltage on backlight produces more heat. Sometime it just dies during normal operation and do not spread. Again it should not occur, so if yours TV is in waranty you should get your LCD panel exchanged.
I have old samsung TV (around 15 yrs or so) and there are no dead pixels. It's not a common defect.

It is still different case by case. Sometimes it is dying due to overheating -> overvoltage on backlight produces more heat. Sometime it just dies during normal operation and do not spread. Again it should not occur, so if yours TV is in waranty you should get your LCD panel exchanged.
I have old samsung TV (around 15 yrs or so) and there are no dead pixels. It's not a common defect.
All of my old TVs ive had has never had a single dead pixel but this one came with a few which had me worried but a bit of research later as well as reading manual shows it seems to be more common now. I think it’s obviously to save money so the companies maybe letting out more panels that aren’t quite 100% as apparently unless it’s a class 1 screen (which guarantees to be perfect) then there is allowed to be a tolerance of imperfections (such as either dead pixels or hot pixels).

I’ve seen quite a few posts about people finding a couple or a few dead pixels on new TVs now so seems to be a quality control issue (again to save money I guess).

Pixels on mine were dead on arrival and hasn’t got any worse and manual does state that tv can arrive with some dark (dead) or bright (hot) pixels and it’s normal. Most manufacturers have a minimum limit now on what they deem to be too many pixels that are dead etc and also where about a they are on screen.

I cannot even see them on my screen from where I sit, it’s only getting up close to screen where you can see them so doesn’t affect me really.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom