Q70r vs xg90 vs gx800

sleepylaser

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Time to ponder. Maximum size 50”, decent hdr important, accurate image more so. I’m not against edge lit hdr (have a 2017 Samsung 49Q7F at present, but just have that upgrade itch even if upgrade only slight), hence allowing the new Panasonic gx800 into the reckoning (plus it’s one inch bigger!!).

Options:
Samsung 49q70r
Sony 49xg90
Panasonic 50gx800

I’d get the XF9005 while it’s in clearance.

The rest are overpriced due to being so new. The Panasonic is no better than your current tv and is arguably worse. I have a 49Q7C and wouldn’t consider the Panasonic if I wanted to upgrade.

I’d get the XF9005 while it’s in clearance.

The rest are overpriced due to being so new. The Panasonic is no better than your current tv and is arguably worse. I have a 49Q7C and wouldn’t consider the Panasonic if I wanted to upgrade.

I have a past love of Panasonic that is hard to shake!

None are going to be fantastic upgrades but the best is the Sony as already mentioned.

Don't pay the infalted prices on 2019-20 models. Year to year there are never massive gains. In fact your current TV still holds it own compared to TVs available now.

EDIT* just seen your last post.

Panasonic do not care to make high end LCDs any more, the GX800 is just a mid range model at best and will be massively off the pace compared to your current TV with HDR. If you want a Panasonic get the FZ802 OLED from their refurb store on eBay. They appear sometimes and sell fast at £900 for 55".

None are going to be fantastic upgrades but the best is the Sony as already mentioned.

Don't pay the infalted prices on 2019-20 models. Year to year there are never massive gains. In fact your current TV still holds it own compared to TVs available now.

EDIT* just seen your last post.

Panasonic do not care to make high end LCDs any more, the GX800 is just a mid range model at best and will be massively off the pace compared to your current TV with HDR. If you want a Panasonic get the FZ802 OLED from their refurb store on eBay. They appear sometimes and sell fast at £900 for 55".

Maybe my best option is to wait another cycle?! Hmm that could mean OLEDs nearer my perfect size (under 55”), and hdr format war better resolved?

Maybe my best option is to wait another cycle?! Hmm that could mean OLEDs nearer my perfect size (under 55”), and hdr format war better resolved?

48” oleds have been announced but no release date confirmed.

If you can fit a 55", go for that rather than waiting for other OLEDs. How long is a piece of string?

There will be no high end LCDs at 49" and no model that will make a massive difference to your current TV. They don't release the high end models at that size any more.

My old JS8500 needs replaced this year... 49 inch is the most i can have. It keeps inky black cinema bars due to leds being on vertical sides. Can the 49Q7OR repeat the same with its back light and local dimming ?

My old JS8500 needs replaced this year... 49 inch is the most i can have. It keeps inky black cinema bars due to leds being on vertical sides. Can the 49Q7OR repeat the same with its back light and local dimming ?
The JS8500 was an edge lit model, TVs like the Q70R have full array local dimming which is a big improvement.

If you find on a TV that is edge lit the backlight control is good, you'll only find its better with a TV with direct lighting and good local dimming.

Where you may be more concern is Samsung's recent trend of fitting their less than 55" models with only 60hz panels instead of 120hz like your current TV. Limited to 49" the Sony XF9005 or new XG9005 are probably going to be better buys because of this...unless you are not fussed having a 60hz panel.

As good though as LCD TVs can be, I myself own a TV which is direct lit, with FALD and 512 zones and you are still limited to dim and brighten each zone independently so there will never be perfection between one line and the next on these TVs without being able to notice where one zone starts and another ends with some content..that doesn't change even with the very top end of LCD TVs though.

The JS8500 was an edge lit model, TVs like the Q70R have full array local dimming which is a big improvement.

If you find on a TV that is edge lit the backlight control is good, you'll only find its better with a TV with direct lighting and good local dimming.

Where you may be more concern is Samsung's recent trend of fitting their less than 55" models with only 60hz panels instead of 120hz like your current TV. Limited to 49" the Sony XF9005 or new XG9005 are probably going to be better buys because of this...unless you are not fussed having a 60hz panel.

As good though as LCD TVs can be, I myself own a TV which is direct lit, with FALD and 512 zones and you are still limited to dim and brighten each zone independently so there will never be perfection between one line and the next on these TVs without being able to notice where one zone starts and another ends with some content..that doesn't change even with the very top end of LCD TVs though.
Thank you very much for your reply.... Can you tell me what would be the most noticeable affect on video if I drop from having a 120hz tv to 60hz model?. I take it for granted that the 49Q7OR still supports 24p.

Thank you very much for your reply.... Can you tell me what would be the most noticeable affect on video if I drop from having a 120hz tv to 60hz model?. I take it for granted that the 49Q7OR still supports 24p.
120hz panels mean you can use motion interpolation in the TVs settings (Motion+ its called for Samsung I think). With only a 60hz panel you will only be able to use motion enhancements on content less than 30fps and to lesser effect.
With frame insertion, which is a method to reduce motion blur by flickering the screen fast can be used on both 60hz and 120hz panels but on a 120hz panel you can use it to greater effect.

Apart from that 120hz panels, without adjustment have slightly faster response time and therefore less motion blur.

I take it for granted that the 49Q7OR still supports 24p.
With the Samsung 60hz models they have the shortfall of not being able to display content like films and modern TV series shot at 24fps at the correct frame rate, they instead apply 3:2 pulldown and create judder noticeable to some people. They will accept 24p as a signal but they will perform conversion and not display it at the correct hz.

The 60hz Samsung models also lack freesync support or the ability to use motion settings in game mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom