Question Q70R dull HDR help

Ali Raza

Hey guys,

Just got my Q70R 75"... coming from 55JS8500 which is a 4 yr old model I can easily say my JS8500 has alot more punch in picture. HDR specifically looks rather dull on Q70R. HDR on netflix look dull and the movie "fracture" looks greatly underexposed, setting the contrast enhancer to LOW makes it a bit better but then brings in noise on skin tones and its very distracting. Also the reflective screen is not helping.

Am I missing something? are there any default settings that work in HDR?

Thanks guys

cypher007

check local dimming is set to high and when you play an HDR source check on the Home strip that it says in the info HDR or HDR10+ etc. I think if you press info it will say at the top of the screen, though not sure on streamed content.

on external devices you might need to go into the input manager and enable HDR.

Ali Raza

yes playing hdr content on Netflix it says HDR in the bar but the screen is not bright enough the dark scenes turn almost black and day time scenes in some movies like Fracture look very underexposed. HDR on YouTube seems a bit better.
My js8500 shows deep colour and the picture is bright and dark scenes look great but I am very disappointed by how q70r handles hdr. Is it because of the overall brightness of the tv? Would q85r be better in that regard or is it useless to upgrade?

cypher007

Don’t know about the Q85. Try putting the brightness upto 1 or 2, I found this helped, but to be honest if I try and watch during the day I think it would be too dark. This set is for dimly lit houses with small windows I think. I got the Q70 for £900 on staff discount, the Q85 is too much even with my 25% discount. The quality in my opinion is sh*te on these new sets. Like everything these days it’s all about making more and more profit and fudge the customer cause he will put up with it.

quality drop a cross the board with cars to home appliances seems to have started when the banksters ran off with a pile of our money in 2008.

my Q70R goes back tomorrow. Back to using an 11 year old set.

Ali Raza

Do u have the 75 incher too? It’s really strange because I thought it should at least be equal if not better than my old one. I’ll do some more tweaks and see if things improve if not then I’ll return and get the q90r maybe.

Selfscience

Novice Member
Hallo community , i wanted to ask one question , i have samsung KS7000 , 55inch, i'm planing to sell my ks7000, and upgrade to samsung Q70R , 55 inch , since prices are down , and in my country it costs about 950 euros , for 55 inch unit. Maybe some one , had such upgrade ? is it worth it? cause , my ks on paper still has some advantages against Q70R, like brightness , has wider color gammut, maybe someone from experienced members can tell , cause my tv is from 2016, first quantum dot display :)

Selfscience

Novice Member
Try set Dynamic contrast to high and local dimming to high , this helped on my ks7000 set , but in general samsung does suppress the whole scene brightness to maintain details in highlights. Personally SDR looks brighter in movies on my set.

Ali Raza

I dont think you'll notice much difference, I may be wrong but from what I've seen from JS8500 to Q70R, not much other than q70r is dull with HDR and crushes blacks. So basically for me it seems a downgrade if that makes sense...lol

Ali Raza

I don’t mind you arranging courier but please bear in mind you acknowledge if any damage occurs during transportation It is not my fault.
Also I recommend you view tv in person so no complaints later, ie make sure it is working..

If you are unable to view due to distance maybe you have a friend or relative nearby who can view on ur behalf ?
Hallo community , i wanted to ask one question , i have samsung KS7000 , 55inch, i'm planing to sell my ks7000, and upgrade to samsung Q70R , 55 inch , since prices are down , and in my country it costs about 950 euros , for 55 inch unit. Maybe some one , had such upgrade ? is it worth it? cause , my ks on paper still has some advantages against Q70R, like brightness , has wider color gammut, maybe someone from experienced members can tell , cause my tv is from 2016, first quantum dot display :)
Try set Dynamic contrast to high and local dimming to high , this helped on my ks7000 set , but in general samsung does suppress the whole scene brightness to maintain details in highlights. Personally SDR looks brighter in movies on my set.
Dynamic contrast is set to low, if i set it high then it loses highlight details, the sky becomes white almost.

Selfscience

Novice Member
hmmm, so one thing that i like about my ks , is that it doest crush black , and i can see a lot off details in the shadows, so i think i will have to stick with my ks7000 , maybe sony 950G would be an option , cause Q85R looks heavily overpriced... in my country 55 inch set costs 1500 euros , when Q70R costs just 940 euros now... so it seems my ks is still a champ... i dont like a black crush...

Ali Raza

hmmm, so one thing that i like about my ks , is that it doest crush black , and i can see a lot off details in the shadows, so i think i will have to stick with my ks7000 , maybe sony 950G would be an option , cause Q85R looks heavily overpriced... in my country 55 inch set costs 1500 euros , when Q70R costs just 940 euros now... so it seems my ks is still a champ... i dont like a black crush...
Yeah black crush kills the overall picture quality so I might return it, just playing around with settings hoping it gets better some way.

Selfscience

Novice Member
Yeah black crush kills the overall picture quality so I might return it, just playing around with settings hoping it gets better some way.
Hmmm , i hate that that they are trying to replicate those oled blacks , by crushing details in the shadows , i created account here , just to know is it worth the upgrade , cause in shops they only play those demos , in witch you cant judge anything... So if you will get any positive results , let me know. One thing does local dimming works way better than on edge led tv ? is there a lot of light bleed ?

Ali Raza

[/QUOTE]
Hmmm , i hate that that they are trying to replicate those oled blacks , by crushing details in the shadows , i created account here , just to know is it worth the upgrade , cause in shops they only play those demos , in witch you cant judge anything... So if you will get any positive results , let me know. One thing does local dimming works way better than on edge led tv ? is there a lot of light bleed ?
yes black uniformity looks great too and Top and bottom black bars in movies r inky black...no blooming or at least not noticeable unless you are really looking for it.

bad points is no hdr pop unless u push the contrast close to max and add dynamic contrast too but then you start losing highlights details and black crush gets even stronger and screen is reflective and at 75” is very distracting.

Selfscience

Novice Member

yes black uniformity looks great too and Top and bottom black bars in movies r inky black...no blooming or at least not noticeable unless you are really looking for it.

bad points is no hdr pop unless u push the contrast close to max and add dynamic contrast too but then you start losing highlights details and black crush gets even stronger and screen is reflective and at 75” is very distracting.
[/QUOTE]
When i red reviews about Q70R, one thing i was worried the most , was brightness , cause only 800 nits max out, that is too low for lcd tv, even my ks gets over 1000 nits , so that translates to pour HDR performance, and they reduced color volume , one connect box is one of the best thing , and it is removed too.

Selfscience

Novice Member

[/QUOTE]
Does increasing gamma help to reduce black crush ? i'm reading reviews on my old set vs Q70R , and the new model is rated slightly better than my set, but not by much.

Last edited:

Ali Raza

Does increasing gamma help to reduce black crush ? i'm reading reviews on my old set vs Q70R , and the new model is rated slightly better than my set, but not by much.
[/QUOTE]
It improves slightly in some scenes I m keeping it to max but still it just doesn’t look right.

Selfscience

Novice Member
It improves slightly in some scenes I m keeping it to max but still it just doesn’t look right.
[/QUOTE]
damn , im out of options :D when i read about sony X95G every review says that this set has problems with deep blacks , samsung on the other hand crushes blacks, i cant go oled cause i use my tv as a pc monitor, and i play games on it. Sony 900F still has some black crush too, what da hell is with that tv market... Using gamma on max it is not normal... i use -2 gamma on my ks7000 ant it looks ok , no black crush , what i dont like is the edge led , in HDR it has rather a lot of light bleed , i want something with better backlight control , but it seems in my wallet category it is nothing to consider seriously...

Ali Raza

damn , im out of options :D when i read about sony X95G every review says that this set has problems with deep blacks , samsung on the other hand crushes blacks, i cant go oled cause i use my tv as a pc monitor, and i play games on it. Sony 900F still has some black crush too, what da hell is with that tv market... Using gamma on max it is not normal... i use -2 gamma on my ks7000 ant it looks ok , no black crush , what i dont like is the edge led , in HDR it has rather a lot of light bleed , i want something with better backlight control , but it seems in my wallet category it is nothing to consider seriously...
[/QUOTE]

everything else is pretty good on this tv apart from black crush and dull hdr I might get used to it in a couple of weeks I guess but it’s a large 75 incher and selling it on would not be easy to I’ll be stuck with it for the next few yrs so I better return it and get q90r maybe at least it has better hdr pop.

Selfscience

Novice Member
everything else is pretty good on this tv apart from black crush and dull hdr I might get used to it in a couple of weeks I guess but it’s a large 75 incher and selling it on would not be easy to I’ll be stuck with it for the next few yrs so I better return it and get q90r maybe at least it has better hdr pop.
[/QUOTE]
My goal is movies , and gaming , this panel has 120hz , but even in avforums review i can see that samsung is crushing too much details , interesting does it do the same in games.

Ali Raza

My goal is movies , and gaming , this panel has 120hz , but even in avforums review i can see that samsung is crushing too much details , interesting does it do the same in games.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t play games so can’t really comment on that. Maybe buy it from Samsung directly and see if u like it. They do offer 29 days free returns.

for me the upgrades I got from JS8500:

faster menus more useable really
Very quick WiFi connection on start up
Ambient light sensor
Nicer interface

downgrades:

no 4K pop
Black crush
No pointer in the remote
Not much difference in terms of picture quality upgrade it’s kinda downgrade lol

Selfscience

Novice Member
I don’t play games so can’t really comment on that. Maybe buy it from Samsung directly and see if u like it. They do offer 29 days free returns.

Ambient light sensor
Nicer interface

downgrades:

no 4K pop
Black crush
No pointer in the remote
Not much difference in terms of picture quality upgrade it’s kinda downgrade lol
[/QUOTE]
Yes the new hardware is always faster , that is one of the stronger points why i want to upgrade, ks7000 sometimes feels slower, but in terms of picture quality it is fantastic how a 2016 model keeps up with 2019 models. I will try to go to the shop maybe they will give me to check out some videos from youtube, cause in some shops , samsung doesnt allow to do such things , only play those demos, in those you cant see any real life performance...

Selfscience

Novice Member

Ambient light sensor
Nicer interface

downgrades:

no 4K pop
Black crush
No pointer in the remote
[/QUOTE]
So today i was in the shop to check Q70R , it was 65inch , guy gave me a remote , ant i dived in to youtube:
What can i say , i was so disappointed , in movie mode tv really looks dull , terribly dull, if you move to natural picture mode , than you get more color saturation and pop , movie mode is dead... and everything looks kind of blurry , i have checked Batman clip , than avengers movie fighting scene , than justice league , where all 4 fight with superman ... and i quit , it is really not any uzpgrade from my ks7000, its downgrade. Yes menu works much snapper , but the image... i dont have words, the lack or brightness is very noticeable , i didnt see very aggressive black crush , but there is some, now i will check same 4k trailers on my samsung. So samsung q70r is out of my upgrade list.