Q6600 vs E5200

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by yoghurt, Jun 15, 2009.

1. yoghurt

yoghurt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I understand the E5200 is a good overclocker and gets you the most 'bang for your buck' at present

Is there a significant difference between this and the Q6600 to justify the difference in price?

Unfortunately I want it for HTPC purposes and maybe games-however these seem mutually exclusive because of sound issues I think?

In a moment of madness I purchased a 2nd hand ZalmanHD160XT case and now need to fill it! (and get it past the wife!)

Any thoughts much appreciated
    Cheers

2. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have the E5200 2.50Ghz stock overclocked to 3.45Ghz with fans set to minimum so its very quiet, fast and cool :) Running it on an Asus P5N7A-VM board if it helps with Scrythe Ninja fans replacing the stock fans

3. k4p84

k4p84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well the biggest difference would be one is dual core the other is quad.

the q6600 with the latest go stepping can reach 3.6-3.8 on air, more under water.

if you are running an HTPC then you do not want to have a noisy CPU cooler trying to keep that overclocking heat at bay. Neither would you need a huge clock for HTPC purposes.

either with a nice aftermarket cooler would be a good choice

4. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I cannot even hear my fans when my system is running and when I check it is cold air its blowing out :eek: A couple of times I have had to check putting my hand up to them to make sure they are spinning they are that quiet. Hope this helps

5. yoghurt

yoghurt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
  6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,493
    It depends on what you're doing, for gaming and film watching you'll see very little difference but if you plan to run any multithreaded applications like video encoding then the Q6600 could easily be twice as fast.

Size issues maybe, but not sound issues. You can get a near silent PC with a powerful processor and a decent mid-range card like the 4850 if you're not trying to cram it into a tiny case. I've got a rather quiet Q6600 + passive 4850 system myself.