Q6600 G0 + ABIT IP35 PRO - Good combination ?

eNxy

Novice Member
Hey,

I've recently bagged a cheap ABIT IP35 PRO in hope that I can overclock my Q6600. I've had a quick google beforehand, searching for the "best motherboards" for my Q6600 and majority of the threads mention the P35 chipset to be the best.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had or is still running their rig with these components, and their personal opinions on it ?

I currently have an ASUS P5N-E SLI and google tells me it's one of the worst combinations to have if you want to OC your chip, and from a few attempts, I think they're right. I can't even get the PC to boot up with a simple 10% overclock using the AI tool.

Also, one last question. What are the chances I can get away with simple swapping the motherboard over and not formatting. I know it's advised to incase of driver conflicts, but if I can get away with it, I might as well save the hassle of reinstalling all those small programs ;)

Many thanks in advance.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Also, one last question. What are the chances I can get away with simple swapping the motherboard over and not formatting. I know it's advised to incase of driver conflicts, but if I can get away with it, I might as well save the hassle of reinstalling all those small programs ;)
I wouldn't, if you've overclocking you don't want any doubts about where you instability comes from.

As for the motherboard the P35 is pretty good, but a P45 would probably have been better as the chip was designed for a higher FSB. Depending on your Q6600 you can probably hit 3Ghz with the P35 and maybe beyond.

eNxy

Novice Member
Ok, it's not a huge problem, just might take me a day of putting all my programs back on ! :thumbsdow

P45 boards are out of my price range. I only bought this board for £50 ! and if I sell my P5N-E SLI, it'll be cheaper :)

My PC is still top notch, and I plan on waiting for the i5's to come out, and/or wait for the i7's to drop more then I'll make my big move in upgrading :D

jetinder

Novice Member
I've had a Q6600 + P35 (Asus P5kC) for the last 2 weeks and so far so good love it to bits and no software i have, nothing i have ever can ever make all 4 cores run at 100% which is great stuff.

The Q6600 runs at 1066 FSB, in standard form the Asus P5kC can see 1333 FSB,

With a BIOS update the Asus P5kC can also take any of the latest Intel 775 cpus, so not sure what difference a P45 would make over P35.

Many thanks in advance.
You will Blue Screen, as the HAL will fail. You will need to run a Windows repair, and then jump through some registry hoops to get it back up and running.

You are better off with a fresh format.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom