1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q50 -progressive scan picture any good?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by evans, Mar 25, 2003.

1. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Recently bought a q50 which does progressive scan and wondering what the picture is like when I hook it up to a hd tv.
    Will I get much difference in resolution from the dvd disk. of what it says in the philips manual it will increase the resolution.

anybody tried it on hd tv?

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The progressive scan feature doesn't increase picture resolution, but it does improve image stability and largely eliminates artefacts inherent to interlaced video such as combing.

Philips' Q50 is a very good progressive scan player, using the extremely well-regarded Sage/Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing package (FLI2200). On a decent progressive setup, the picture from this player is excellent (great colour, very sharp), but less so on interlaced TVs where its chroma upsampling problems can be easily seen.

I suggest you look at www.hometheaterhifi.com for their review of the Q50 and take a look at http://www.dcdi-video.com/technology/articles/sage-dcdi-overview.html for more information about DCDi (this technology could have set you back over $US10,000 just five years ago).

It's also a very nice looking machine just sitting on the shelf. :)

Adam

3. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Adam

thanks for your input, actually the exact words of the philips manual is "it can double the vertical resolution of the picture to 525 lines everytime the picture is refreshed"

Anyway Im really happy with it at the moment just wondering if I connect my coxial out of the dvd player to the tv with a coxial in will the dts be already decoded? as it says it has a decoder for dts in the manual.

I dont know what you mean about chroma unsampling problems but apparently the new firmware has fixed the chroma bug what ever that is. But on some dvds when there is a dark back ground I can see sort of a blockyness from the picture (like a different shad of black that is due to a faulty picture) dont know if this is the chroma bug.

thanks
    evan

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi evan,

The chroma upsampling error (CUE) found on some DVD players is commonly known as the "chroma bug". To make use of progressive scan, your display device (TV, plasma or projector) has to be capable of handling a progressive scan signal (i.e showing both picture fields together)- some can only handle an NTSC ps signal.

As your TV has a coaxial digital input, the TV will do the DTS decoding assuming it is fed a DTS bitstream from the player. The player will only output a decoded DTS signal from the 5.1 analogue outputs. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well technically, it is running as a line doubler.

576i normally = 576 interlaced frames, 288 at a time, 50 times a second.

This gets doubled to 576p, 576 at a time, 50 times a second.

In reality, I agree it isn't twice the vertical detail, I'd say the progressive scan picture looks about 30% sharper vertically because our eyes are quite good at interpolating interlaced video anyway!

regards,
    Rob.

6. dave_b9000

dave_b9000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been trying to track down a Q50 at a reasonable price, so could you tell me where you got yours and for how much?

7. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    thanks for everyone with the input. Im really behind in technology since this is my first dvd player and soon hope to buy the jvc hd 25d tv , 32 inch to match it up for pro scan viewing.

dutch - on the back of my player it has a coxial out (digital audio out) and underneath has (pcm/mpeg -2/ac-3/dts) so i assume it is outputing dts from the coxial or the optical out. this is what is confusing. I know the jvc has coxial in but will the dts signal be already decoded when it reaches the tv this is what is so confusing or will I need a receiver.

dave, - I got mine from Hivizone.com in hong kong and they also sell very cheap and reasonable proscan players (skyworth etc). they also sell the 890 philips recorder with pro scan pal and ntsc!
    the 963sa is also there but for the money I thought it was not worth it since i dont need sacd or dvd-a. The 963sa has the newer chip and dac is 13 bit 108 hz while mine is 12 bit 54 hz, which gives a better picture and has the new dcci chip. But the Q50 is a very very good player, great picture, the color is great no bleeding even when you put maximium color. The remote is good and menu is good but the only thing is they have double the fast forward button to be the next chapter button as well (frustrating). Interlaced picture is good, does not freeze with vcds or dvds as they have put new firmware. NO audio sync problems at all as the 963sa is reported to be having. Cd playback is good. it plays mp3 and also jpeg if you burn it as a vcd file. so on the whole a good one. Also it is the best looking one I have seen so far. The other thing I didnt like is on cd playback the display doesnt show anything. Hivizone are reliable but the q50 costs 225 pounds or about 415 usd. but you need another 30 to 50 pounds for speed post (takes 4days)also I told them to put a lower invoice and they did but they were so stupid and put the real invoice inside the package and customs found it so I paid 90 pounds for that.

good luck

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi evan,

I'm afraid I couldn't find any reference to the "hd25d" set on JVC's site. I think you might mean the "HV-32D25W" which doesn't appear to have a DTS decoder fitted - only Dolby Digital (AC-3). I can't see any mention of progressive scan either, only something called DIST which claims to display a 1250i picture. Maybe this is their way of saying 625p - higher number, so must be better, theory! Have you seen one in action?

There doesn't seem to be any mention of a 5.1 analogue input on the JVC, so I don't think you'll be able to get a decoded DTS signal from your player. Hope this helps.

Steve

9. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Philips are correct with this statement, but it doesn't equate to an increase in visible resolution. Both interlaced and progressive produce a 576x720 or 480x720 picture (ie. the resolution is the same; the progressive picture is just smoother and more stable).

Adam

10. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ive heard positive things about the jvc tv and it is priced around the same if not less than the pixel plus sets but of what i have heard from the people who have seen them at the shop which sells both pixel plus and are soon bringing the model of jvc with D.I.S.T technology that the jvc wins hands down. That is a real statement since I was impressed from the pic quality of the philips 9617.

Dutch the jvc has a coxial in terminal or digital audio in, has 3 scart sockets (i think 2 are rgb and 1 composite video) . 1 component terminal. 1 audio out terminal, 1 woofer terminal and 1 suround rear terminal, in all quite impressive.

I dont know if it does do progressive of what others have confirmed it does both although in the manual doesnt say it.

It is one big tv though 58 kgs and width 92 cm