Q321 + Oppo

Earlstreetblue

Established Member
Reaction score
:hiya: Trying to solve a problem, and would like to hear from anyone who has a Hyumdai Imagequest Q321 and has an Oppo working/upscaling correctly. If so what cables and important setup options etc are you using.

TIA

I've got a Q321 and Oppo 971 (or at least i did until i sent the Q321 back as a result of a few dead pixels today).

Haven't had much time to play with the combination but for the time between Saturday afternoon and last night, I had it hooked up with DVI and the sound outputted through my Sony HTK250 surround sound unit.

I upgraded the firmware and (as recommended in other posts) switched everyhing to off on the oppo except Truelife. Seemed to be able t select the upscaling resolutions but to be honest, I'm not sure how much of a difference I noticed over my LG3350 dvd player which admittedly is several years older but was a decent player in it's time.

I think I might have been expecting a little too much from upscaling, or perhaps now that I'm looking super closely at the pictures, I can't see the forest for the trees! When I get my replacement Q321, I'll have more time on my hands to have a play and I'll let you know how i get on if you want.

We're trying to find out if it upscales ok with the Q321, can you set the Oppo to 720p or 1080i and when you press the info button on the Q321 remote does it display DVI 720p or DVI 1080i depending on what you've set the Oppo to?
The reason we want to know is cos we both have the Sony dvp-ns76h and the Q321 displays 576p regardless of what resolution we set the Sony to.

Cheers,
Andy.

Ah - I'm not certain I tried that.

When changing the resolution on the Oppo, i 'think' i was only concerned about what the Oppo thought it was displaying at. I'll test it out when I get my TV back.

Let me know if there's anything else you need me to try out.

Hi again Andy, and brianone1,
The more info the better.

Perhaps these DVD manufactureres should do what the motherboard makers do and publish a list of known working parts/models. Would save a lot of head scratching.

Info relating to what you actually use like cables for instance would be welcome, settings etc, you get the drift?

So far it looks like the Sammy 950, maybe the Sony 76H, any others we can add to the list?

zAndy1 said:
We're trying to find out if it upscales ok with the Q321, can you set the Oppo to 720p or 1080i and when you press the info button on the Q321 remote does it display DVI 720p or DVI 1080i depending on what you've set the Oppo to?
The reason we want to know is cos we both have the Sony dvp-ns76h and the Q321 displays 576p regardless of what resolution we set the Sony to.

Cheers,
Andy.

Just got the Q321 back from Novatech yesterday and had a chance to play around with it today. On selecting the different resolutions on the Oppo, the Q321 does indeed appear to pick them up correctly. (i.e. pressing info displays the resolution you'd expect) I've got the Q321 and Oppo connected with the DVI cable that was included with the Oppo.

Let me know if you want me to try anything else.

Can you tell much difference when you set the Oppo to 720p or 1080i as opposed to say 576p?
Thanks for the info btw..

Cheers
Andy

zAndy1 said:
Can you tell much difference when you set the Oppo to 720p or 1080i as opposed to say 576p?
Thanks for the info btw..

Cheers
Andy

no problem andy, happy to help :smashin:

i can't notice any difference but i've only really watched 5 mins of a few dvds to make sure it worked. i'm hoping to sit down and watch a full dvd tonight. however, i couldn't notice any difference in 720 and 1080 from what i did watch. haven't even set it to 576 yet but i certainly can't notice any difference/improvement over my last dvd player. (But that's probably just me!)

What you are telling me thus far isn't good news. Others who have used the oppo also report only slightly better PQ, which is probably to be expected I suppose.

Having read many reviews and taken in what lots have said, I am now of the opinion that going the HD DVD route is the way to go.

Consider this, the Oppo costs approx £160 - £170, you can now get the TOSHIBA HD-A1 HD DVD Player deliverd for £340.

From my presonal experience so far, I have found that the PQ of the Sony dvp-ns76h is no better than the Liteon dvd recorder I also have. I was thinking about the Samsung 950 as well as the Oppo, but I doubt PQ will be any better.

If after viewing more video, especially ones that are known to show better PQ, and give you a definate increase in PQ, then please give us your feedback.

Don't bother with the Samsung, at first i thought it looked great on my new A321 LCD but then i thought i would see how my own Panasonic dvd recored looked via Component and it blew it away!

Sent my Samsung back and i think i might stick with the Panasonic.

P.S Where can i get a HD-DVD Tosh for that much ???

Alright, quick update for those interested.

Last night I watched Underworld which I believe is supposed to be quite a good transfer and should have been an excellent movie to test on. Unfortunately, after watching it, I'm less than impressed with the results. In some areas, PQ was fine (not significantly better than my previous DVD player but a good picture nonetheless). In other areas (mostly the darker screens), it looked as if I was watching TV through freeview with lots of ghosting. (At least I think I'm using that terminology correctly.) There seemed to be quite a lot of pixellisation in the blacks where the screen didn't seems to be 'refreshed' until the movie used that area of the screen again.

I've never noticed this through scart before and may just be to do with the LCD rather than the Oppo but I didn't think it was supposed to happen through a DVI input.

I think i might pick up some component cables to try and rule out a DVI issue here and as another test, if I get more time later in the week, I'll try hooking up my old dvd player again to see if it did actually happen on the old player and I just never noticed.

Anyone else think that sometimes we're finding these problems cause we're looking so hard to find them?

Edit: just had a thought, might also try watching the movie in a non-upscaled resolution to see ifit's a problem with the upscaling, the TV of the DVD player. I'll report back when I have more.

Don't bother with the Samsung, at first i thought it looked great on my new A321 LCD but then i thought i would see how my own Panasonic dvd recored looked via Component and it blew it away!

Sent my Samsung back and i think i might stick with the Panasonic.

Same here only with the Sony, thought it may have been the player and/or the Q321 but have since realised like many others that it really isn't all its cracked up to be. Maybe its just me, but I'm rearly not impressed by the PQ of these upscaling dvd's. I have also looked at others locally and again, not impressed. They include the Samsung950/850/850 and the Pioneer 696. For what you are expected to pay, I might just as well push the boat out a bit and go for the Real Deal, the Tosh HD XA1.

P.S Where can i get a HD-DVD Tosh for that much ???

I forgot to mention with the Tosh, you'll also need a step down transformer (100watt), but you can get one on ebay for a tenner. To get the Tosh for such a good price you need to import it from the states, via ebay here. as well as the TOSHIBA HD-XA1, which is probably the one I'll go for.

At first I though, wow noway, but apparently the chap who sells them, sends alot to the UK, with no problems reported. So if your after one this cheap...

They take around 5 days to arrive from ordering them.

You could though wait till the Autumn and buy one in the UK, but they recon on it being around the £500 mark.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom