1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q150e overheating my amp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by djc101, Aug 10, 2002.

1. djc101

djc101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i connect my REL q150e to my amp using the supplied high level input cable it overheats my amp and i think it might have fried my new avca11sr (see thread in amp section). Trying it on an old amp it runs fine connected through the low level input but connect the high level one and it heats up in a matter of minutes!

Anyone had similar problems or got any ideas?
    What kind of load does the sub give the amp when its connected like this?

Dan

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    That doesn't sound good :(
    For all intents and purposes the REL should be nearly transparent to the amp using the High Level cable (someone tell me if I'm wrong?). On my REL Storm III there are 3 connections that the High Level cable can be plugged into; is yours in the correct socket, or is there only the one?
    Older Q150's had earthing problems that resulted in a loudish humming (newer Q150's had a switch on the back to solve this problem). Perhaps this is a more serious manifestation of this, though I can't see how.
    Other than that I would take the sub back to the dealer, along with your old Denon amp, and see if a different sub makes the amp hot. If it doesn't then your original sub is at fault somehow.

Russell

3. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The high level in on the q150e should be about 100K Ohms and invisible to the amplifier, double check the lead is wired in correct. You could also check that there are no short circuits or low impedance between black and red, and black and yellow whilst the speakon is still plugged into the unit and the q150e switched off.

If the lead reads ok then you may have to open up the speakon plug to check that the red and the yellow go to +1 and +2 and that the black goes to either -1 or -2. If the plug is wired ok then maybe REL have encountered the problem before, it's worth asking them i'm sure they would be pleased to help.

Anyway good luck

4. djc101

djc101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts guys.

5. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just thought i should mention that i have a REL Q400 connected to my Denon AVC A11SR with both low level and high level with no problems.
    It is probably the cable or sub that cases a short cirkut.
    Good luck.