1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q150: Should I bother with the Neutrik connection

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jon Weaver, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I just got my Q150 and one first impressions I am VERY impressed.

I have connected it using BOTH sub outputs from my Sony STRDB930 amp and it works fine.

But I am also contemplating using the Neutrik connection from the speaker output, but I wonder if there is any point.

What have other REL users done?

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    Personally I just use the low level connection, set all speakers to small and let the AV amp do all the bass management.

3. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had it for a test run a couple of weaks ago and used only the phono at first. It never reached the hights that I expected. I was going to return it to the store when they insisted that i should try it with the high level connection.
    I did and I kept the sub!!

The surround speakers and the LFE is connected with the phono letting the reciever handel the bass management for these.

This is why you could use both High and low inputs simultanously!!

Set the gain for both High and low and the right chrossover for the High and then just lay back and enjoy both music and movies..
    /Anders

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I had a receiver, I also used both, set the sub in position 2, use internal crossover for high input and bypass for low, like Noman does, if your front speakers are large set them to large, else set to small, all others to smal.

This way you can use direct mode for CDs, bypassing the receiver´s digital processing, with much better sound...

Now I have a TAG and cannot bypass the digital processing, so I don´t bother using high anymore...

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I use both.

My Denon in Pure Direct mode sends full range signals to the front left & right (even when the speakers are set to small). So i use mode 1 (on my Rel) when listening in Pure Direct and mode 2 for everything else.

In my case you get the best of both worlds as you can switch of the sub at the amp (and all irrelevant circuits) but still get the signal sent to the sub via the Neutrik.

cheers

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also thinking of getting a REL Q150 and was interested to read your comments about connections and set-up.
    I have an Onkyo TXDS696 receiver and KEF Q55.2 fronts, KEF Q95c centre and Mission M7DS surrounds.
    The way I thought I would connect the REL was via phono cable from sub pre-out on amp. That way if I want to listen to CDs without the sub I would select Direct on the amp (only sends pure signal to front L & R). If I want the sub as well I would listen in Stereo (sends signal to sub as well). For films DTS/DD would play through the sub as normal.
    I have some questions though:
    - Will the crossover dial on the sub have any effect if I connect and use like this or does it only work if you connect via high level?
    - My front speakers are all bi-wired into banana plugs so will I have a problem connecting high level?
    - Is there any benefit to connecting at high level as well as low?
    - Does the sub automatically go into standby mode if you don't use it i.e. can I leave it plugged in and switched on all the time or do I need to unplug it when not in use?

Thanks a lot.

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi Smarty

On the Rel you have 4 modes (Rel Q200, i assume its the same on the 150) so can you either use the sub crossover or bypass it and let your processor/amp set the crossover.

Mode 1 uses the sub crossover, mode 2 ignores it
    modes 3 & 4 are the same but reversed phase.

My fronts are connected via banana plugs but i just undid the binding post a bit on the amp and stuffed the cable in!

Connecting via high level in my case means i can effectively turn the sub output off at the amp, use mode 1 on the sub and still get the full range signals (in pure direct mode). that way its the purest signal of all.

I leave my Q200 on all the time and have had no problems at all.

Hope this helps

cheers

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase,

One small correction, position 2, and 4, bypass the internal crossover only for low input, it leaves it on for high, so you don´t have to switch to 1 when you use direct mode...