1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q: The old chestnut. And Sky delivery...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Calvados, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Calvados

Calvados
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I posted the below on an older thread but didn't get any responses :( . Any advice appreciated...
    __ ______ ______ ______

...I know next to nothing about TV technology :clap: so I've been reading comments and threads for the last few days in an attmept to answer the most basic of questions.

CRT or plasma? (for less than 2K)

There are a lot of knowledgeable posters here and I've learned a lot. But just when I thought I'd gotten over the plasma screen-burn horror stories and decided that plasma PQ could be good I started reading all these threads and debates about Sky and HD! Yikes!

Now, I am not a purist and I'm not looking to have leading edge technology but here are my questions for those with the knowledge:

1. Will 'normal' (SD?) signals become obsolete with the introduction of HD? I guess the answer to this one is a simple 'no'. If not, I'd be happy to have a non-HD compliant plasma today with the intention of keeping it for at least 3 years.

2. I've just moved into a new house, does it make any difference to my options that I receive Sky via a communal dish which supplies 8 houses? To be honest it is a pain in the :censored: because it means I can't get SKy+ (their agents tell me there aren't enough cables (outlets?) to have Sky+ (perhaps one of you guys knows a way around this...)

3. Don't shoot me but what do people think about renting? Is it not a good idea to rent a decent plasma for a year and wait for things to settle on the HD front (and by then prices may have come down further).

4. Are there any decent 36" CRTs (under £1500) which are HD compliant?

:lease: help!

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well here's my views...

1. SD transmissions will be around for a long time yet IMHO
    2. As long as your getting a decent signal it should be okay...you can have Sky+ with a single feed from the dish but you'd only be able to watch or record one channel at a time or watch a pre-recorded programme whilst recording another - not ideal. You can get something called a stacker which allows two feeds from the dish to go down one coax cable...not sure if thats any help...see here http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/stacker.htm
    3. I guess that depends on how much they are going to charge. A better bet might be a panny PW6 which should be good for a couple of years and then either sell or move it to another room - must work out cheaper than renting as you'd have something to show for your money at the end of the day.
    4. Not that I know about and I've not seen a CRT with a DVI input...you can get CRTs with component inputs but they are only SD or ED not HD. You can get DLP RPTV with digital inputs so if you have the room maybe another oprion for ya.
    Cheers, Lee

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    nothing to add to lee's comments except the people who installed SKY are utter monkeys with no clue....... it is very very easy to give you 4 feeds to each house if you know what you are doing......... Stackers are quite expensive if 2-3 homes want sky+ then the cost of stackers = cost of doing it properly forst time round........
    Plasma rental is very expensive.... cheaper to buy and bin after 3 years than rent, if you are not rushing into HD (your communal set-up may not allow for this) then an SD plasma now kept for 3-5 years and moved to bedroom (imagine that) would make more sense to me than £800+ on a CRT set that no one will want in 3-5 years

4. Calvados

Calvados
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys. Sound advice.

Looks like a non-HD plasma is back in the running. I just have to decide which one but there is plenty of advice on this within the forum.

I would like to delve deeper into the Sky situation however.
    I can't remember exactly how the Sky agents fobbed me off when I first enquired about Sky+ and multi-room but it was definitely down to 'not enough lines availble'. Now I hear you with the stackers, but that isn't going to happen if its down to them. Loonatic you seem to think I could at least get Sky+ on one line - is that so? I'm happy for the compromise (I think) but I'm pretty sure they told me I'd need two lines into the house whatever. Can you give me more details?

Remember, AV is not my thing so be gentle in your explanations. :laugh:

Cheers, Calva

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am pretty sure it works fine with a single feed from the dish but with the limitations I mentioned above...try asking in the Sky section for confirmation though.

Cheers, Lee

6. Calvados

Calvados
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Loonatic - I'll ask the Sky gurus.

Any ideas if plasma PQ will be affected by this kind of communal Sky delivery?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    as long as it has been installed well it should be fine mate PS adding a stacker requires dish end feeds IIRC and a destacker at the other end.....PRicey mind (and sky CS just read from a screen try your local CAI sat man (although he may not know about or have ever used a stacker)