Q: recording onto DVD-RW using Panasonic DMR EH60D

stupidboyjj

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having trouble posting this for some reason..says it's a duplicate thread I've already posted? Anyway..

Can anyone answer this please? I only got this machine last week so am still just checking the functions, last night I recorded about a minute of News24 then dubbed that onto a DVD-RW.

However, when putting the DVD-RW in my PC's Plextor drive, it didn't read any files and also mysteriously claimed the disc had a capacity of about 5.5GB. Reading the Panasonic manual is confusing too - has this DVD-RW been recorded in VR mode, ie do I need a drive that reads VR? I haven't finalized it yet because it was only a test - I presume this formats the DVD-RW with a 'VIDEO_TS' etc folder filing system?

Googling this problem, there is an article on Microsoft's website about Windows XP not reading 16 bit packets on DVD-RW (VR) discs as it wants to see 32 bit chunks, it claimed installing SP2 would help. It didn't.

Is there any way I'll be able to read this DVD-RW in my PC without finalizing it? There is also the option of just buying another cheap DVD ROM drive which supports DVD-RAM eg an LG one..

Thanks in advance!

I would have thought you would have to finalise it to read in a PC or other player.

Is it just a test? If so finalise it and after youve tryed it reformat the RW in the E60 youve lost nothing. Even if you finalise it and want to keep the footage just dub the footage back onto your E60 HDD from the RW before reformating.

Because you have RAM on this machine, I don't think you can to VR recorings on -RW. Only V.

It was just a test (ultimately I'd like to record things on the HDD from VHS eg my wedding videos, transfer them to DVD and edit them properly on the PC) - I was hoping the DVD-RW would have the file as some kind of uncompressed avi or something. I can reformat it yes, but as it was new I didn't want to do that straight away for the sake of a quick test.

Might just be quicker to get a new DVD rewriter that can do DVD-RAM.

i found that recording onto a dvd+r or dvd+rw with my player/recorder.

my dvd rom and dvdrw on my pc wont read either discs.....

its like it records it in a format or type of format the pc drives cant read.
though i just play the disc back on the player/recorder and use video/audio lead to feed it to my pc. and record it with software.
then edit the footage etc then burn it to a dvd-r. and that will work in player / recorder and pc drives.
bit of a pain thou :(

i did.
but it doesnt reconise the disc at all.
from what i heard is the standalone player/recorder doesnt write to the disc the same as pc drives do.
right or wrong. who knows. but it still doesnt read the discs.

but im thinking about upgrading to a player/recorder with hdd.....

OK, so I finalised the dvd-rw and sure enough it becomes a 'VIDEO_TS' formatted dvd, which I can read/rip in my normal dvd rewriter. Not sure if it records any widescreen flag info though, although it was stretched vertically as you'd expect, PowerDVD didn't expand it. Anyway this seems like a lot of faffing about just to transfer something..

So next question! If I get a DVD-RAM drive for the PC, can I just record something on a DVD-RAM disc in the Panasonic and transfer it straight to the PC? What format are the recorded files in, are they avi or mpg etc? I was thinking of getting an LG drive but there is another thread on here about some kind of incompatibility issues, is this relevant to the EH60 too?

stupidboyjj said:
I was thinking of getting an LG drive but there is another thread on here about some kind of incompatibility issues, is this relevant to the EH60 too?

I have a Panny DMRE100H & a LG GSA4163B multiformat drive in the PC & dont have any problems with DVD-RAM.

Use TMPG Encoder to transfer the recordings to your PC as per Rasczak guide. See here : GUIDE: DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR-Mode) To DVD-R

Thanks for that, useful link. Authoring DVDs isn't a problem (I've done quite a few myself, I have a variety of bits and pieces for doing it), it's just getting the a/v files onto the PC in the first place for editing/authoring!

Reading more of the posts in that link - it appears my original problem is that I needed an extra program to be able to read DVD-RW (VR). I might just get a DVD-RAM drive anyway...seems like it'll be a lot quicker in the long run.

stupidboyjj said:
Thanks for that, useful link. Authoring DVDs isn't a problem (I've done quite a few myself, I have a variety of bits and pieces for doing it), it's just getting the a/v files onto the PC in the first place for editing/authoring!

Reading more of the posts in that link - it appears my original problem is that I needed an extra program to be able to read DVD-RW (VR). I might just get a DVD-RAM drive anyway...seems like it'll be a lot quicker in the long run.

That baffles me, because the EH60D definitely can't record in VR mode on DVD-RW - it can play them, but the functionality to record them is purposely omitted, since it (nearly) duplicates the abilities of DVD-RAM. It couldn't be anything else, could it, such as omitting to finalise the disc first, or even that your Plextor drive has trouble with that particular speed of DVD-RW (for instance)?

The only reason I thought it was VR mode is because that is what the screen says on the EH60D in 'Disk management' with the DVD-RW in, in the top left corner. As I said above, finalising the disc makes it readable and ripable in the PC drive but with a normal DVD video folder system (VIDEO_TS and VOB files etc), whereas I was after more 'raw' files that I wouldn't have to rip first before I could re-edit/re-author them.

Basically, the answer is to buy a DVD-RAM disc and a DVD-RAM compatible re-writer for the PC! Which will either be an LG or a Sony one, don't know which yet.

I do with the Panasonic manual was a lot more technical than it is.

Thanks for the replies anyway!

I have a similar problem with my EH50.

Dubbing to a DVD-RW and then finalising, I end up with a disk that will play fine on my Panasonic or my old Pioneer.

But if I put it in my PC (a Dell with a PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631) then nothing sees it. XP tells me it is a blank disc.

One utility does see that there is something there, but if I try to copy it says - "UDF File System Parsing Failed!"

So what’s going on?

stupidboyjj said:
Basically, the answer is to buy a DVD-RAM disc and a DVD-RAM compatible re-writer for the PC! Which will either be an LG or a Sony one, don't know which yet.

I wouldn't purchase a Sony Writer. Sony do not support DVD-RAM.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom