1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q: Pioneer 43/50 MXE1 Availability +Prices +connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bill4, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Bill4

Bill4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,

I would like to purchase the Pioneer PDP-43MXE1 or 50MXE1.
    I have noticed some of you have taken delivery, but so far I could not find any place that stocks it for a good price.

The best price I could find so far is from www.av-sales.com
    43" = £2820, 50" = £4566
    Anyone seen a better price? I've called them, they said this models will be available in September, which does not make sense to me, as some of you allready have it.

What is the best price on this units, and who has them on stock? Links please..

What is the best way to connect my prog scan DVD player (Sony 930)?
    Seems to me, RGB to VGA, or component to VGA.

If it's RGB to VGA, which of the following is most suitable (assuming all are suitable)?
    From www.keene.co.uk Cat#
    SBB92 or SBB94 £29.99 or £34.99
    SBBOX £74.99 (£82.04 from AV Sales).
    SBBVGA SBB92H £94.99

Or Componenet to VGA is better? Where from?

The Pionner can take RGsB, but may not be the best option. Is RGBHV (negative) better? I think it can take this too.
    I know there are two boards avaiable from Pioneer (PDA-5003 "BNC" or PDA-5004 "RCA"). I don't realy want to buy one of them if I don't have to, as I plan to buy the Lumagen VisionHDP. Until then, I just want to watch DVD (and trough it Freeview).

Are there any boards available or comming out (availability?) that have a Freeview tuner and/or HDMI+HDCP? Can the existing DVI input anabled for HDCP? Does Pioneer planning more boards for this pannels? Prices for any of the boards mentioned?

I realy need to buy one of this pannels soon. Looking for best prices and availability, and the best way to connect my DVD player.

Thanks. Anyone?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Bill,

Try www.ivojo.co.uk for the new Pioneers, although I'm not sure if the 43" model is available yet. AV-Sales seem to have the best prices, though.

The best way to connect your Sony would be by component to make use of the progressive scan capability of the player. You should get an input board of your choice included with the screen - I'd recommend the PDA-5003 for the superior BNC connectors and RGBHV capability. I'm not aware of any new boards including a Freeview tuner from Pioneer or anyone else, but Aurora have a couple of boards with DVI-HDCP available, and another one on the way with HDMI. The long-rumoured board from Key Digital is now 18 months overdue. :suicide: Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Bill4

Bill4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Dutch.

Which cable/connection method I should use if I get the BNC board?
    Could you please send me some links to the other boards.

Thanks

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Bill,

Use the component output from the Sony, to the 3 BNC connectors marked RGB - just ignore the H and V sync connectors. See www.auroramultimedia.com for details on their A303-HDCP and A304-HDCP boards, and www.keydigital.com for their "vapourware" board. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    Bill4

50MXE1 - a few units are now in circulation in the UK with limited stock available for immediate delivery.

43MXE1 - initial stock is being delivered this week to UK dealers; though most dealers will not get enough to fulfil pre ordered units.

You can order the displays with the RCA card, the BNC card or no card.

I've not had time to test a unit without a video card fitted to see if it will accept RGBHV or YUV via the HD15 socket at 15.6kHz or will it insist on 30kHz and above with no video card fitted - if you drop me a note in the morning I can try and confirm if this will work or not.

Lumagen VisionHDP - I've had our dem HDP attached to a 50MXE1 via DVI and it worked better than expected considering we were using the very early firmware in the HDP; hopefully later this week we will have time to test the latest firmware with a 43 and a 50MXE1.

The availability in the UK of the Key Digital cards looks like it will never happen and the Aurora cards (with HDCP) are proving a tad elusive at present - though tantalisingly close as I believe Pioneer UK may have some installed and tested; though I believe there may be issues with the Tuner cards that have still to be ironed out before they would get the Pioneer 'Expansion Solutions' seal of approval.

Third party cards that don't get the 'Expansion Solutions' accreditation will potentially invalidate your warranty - even though they may work they have to undergo a fairly rigorous test procedure at Pioneer and meet various operational parameters before they get the required accreditation.

I've not had a chance to test how fussy the RGB+C input on the MXE1 displays is - Pioneer have historically been pretty fussy so you may still have to revert to an RGB2VGA converter to ensure you get a stable picture; if you do the JS Technology converters are the best option (I find).

Pricing - not allowed to quote in the open forum :)

Best regards

Joe

6. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bill4

I got my 50MXE-1 from Joe and would definitely recommend him. After sales service is top notch. Unfortunately my Lumagen VisionPro HDP still hasn't arrived so I haven't experienced the Pioneer in all its glory.

7. Bill4

Bill4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Dutch, Joe and Gazza.

Very helpfull in deed.
    I'm still in two mind about which Pioneer to get. Love to have the 50" but...£££. It's available for ~£4600 with the 5003 board. The 43" model will be vailable from July for ~£2840. Both comes with the board (5003 or 5004). Don't know how much it is without the board, or as Joe said may not even work without it. Does my Sony 930 outputing prog.scan over component 30Khz? Can anyone verify it does work without the board, and can the 43" or 50" model be purchased without the board. How much is the board separately?

Thanks for all the help. Good board :smashin: . I will be purchasing my Pioneer within 2 weeks, hopefully by that time I can make up my mind which one to get (and both will be available).
    About a month later (or maybe the same time), I will get the Lumagen.

I only have one concern. The Lumagen will handle HDCP correctly, but without a third party board, the Pioneer will not. Why did Pioneer did it this way :suicide: ? Will there be a fix for the DVI input? At the moment I don't need HDCP, but who knows, maybe in the future. Would be nice if the Lumagen removed HDCP from the output :nono:

As side issue, it would be nice to hear from people who have purchased the new WMV9 compatible DVD Players (Bravo, Kiss), and tried it with and without the Lumagen with some HD movies. DRM issues, quality, problems???

Thanks again.

Bill

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Bill,

The Lumagen will only output an HDCP-encrypted signal over DVI if it is receiving one. It will not add HDCP to an ordinary DVI signal offered from such players as the Momitsu V880. Yes, it's a shame Pioneer didn't see fit to include HDCP on the new MXE1 models, but at least you don't have to pay the scandalous 14% EU tax on such displays.

I think your Sony will output at 30 fps for NTSC material using 2:3 pulldown. Hope this helps.

Steve

9. Bill4

Bill4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Steve

I was refereing to the 30Khz signal Joe has mentioned, not the 30fps NTSC output. I know the Lumagen does not encrypt DVI with HDCP unless it has received an HDCP signal. If in the future I get (Bravo, Kiss or whatever player) and play WMV9 HD disks, it will likely be HDCP encrypted (if this players sopport it). The Lumagen will spot this, and outputs HDCP over DVI. Since the Pioneer does not support HDCP, I will get a nice blank screen.
    But, if the Lumagen does not encrypt it's DVI output with HDCP, all will be well. However, this will not happen.
    I agree with you on the 14% charge. The EU will neet to sort this out, and should try not to sabotage new technology in order to gain some money. Same goes for MS with their DRM, and Hollywood.

Thanks

Bill

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    Bill4

The 43MXE1 and 50MXE1 without a video card fitted wont accept a YUV or RGBHV Video signal - unless you present it as a PC signal.

Even using a scaler set to output RGBHV or YUV to the HD15 Input without a video card in the display may result in a dark looking image as the Display has different settings it will invoke when it sees a PC signal rather than a video signal.

The reason the DVI Input on the Plasma is not HDCP is wrapped up in a new TAX regime set by the EU on 01.05.04 - since that date all displays with HDCP compatibility have a 14% Tax surcharge applied - and as the majority of potential owners don't require HDCP the Plasma manufacturers are generally switching HDCP off for now.

Pioneer have been working with third party 'solution' providers and I believe we will soon enough see fairly low cost cards for the MXE1 range with HDCP compatibility.

Lumagen wont be removing the HDCP code from any Digital video stream - the guys at Lumagen like their Business, Liberty and Bank Accounts too much!!!

Very few KISS players around at present and from what I've seen they have been targeted at a different market at present - and also keep in mind were still in Beta testing with the Lumagen Next Gen products so not much room for testing with 'unknown' sources at this time.

I wouldn't assume anyone has 'available' stock of 43MXE1 in Two weeks time (Silver or Charcoal) - there is already a big back log of orders to be fulfilled and I believe the next stock shipment is early next month; an awful lot of which will be swallowed up on back orders. I'd get an order in now :)

50MXE1 is pretty much available from stock if you want one now - though not so sure on the Silver option.

Best regards

Joe

11. Bill4

Bill4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Joe,

Very informative. I more or less made up mind about the size. I will go for the 50" choral.
    The spec sheet on the MXE models does not mention anything about needing the optional card (that's why they call it "options"). The only thing it mentions, is that the VGA input is RGsB compatible. Maybe, it does not take RGBHV (although the manual mentions it in several places), but it still not explain why Pioneer done it this way.

If, as you mention, people can buy 3rd party cards, what happens to the RGsB or RGBHV input on VGA?

So the current situation looks like this:
    Customers who want to use the VGA (HD15) for RGsB/RGBHV input, must have the optional card fitted. Even if they dont want it because they may want a 3rd party (cheap) board with HDCP compatibility and/or a Freeview tuner.
    When they get the 3rd party board, they must remove the optional Pioneer board in order to fit it. In essence, the HD15 input is only suitable for PC type input, therefore customers are forced to use a de-interlacer/scaler like the Lumagen, and use the DVI input instead (unless they have equipment with DVI outut or HDMI).

Did I understand this correctly, or did I miss something?
    By the way, what are the likely price on the optional speakers?
    What is the situation with the FRC 50Hz?

Thanks Joe

Bill

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    Hello Bill

Its fairly standard for Displays not to process video via the HD15 Input if no video card is present - I think Panasonic were the first to adopt a different circuit topology with the 6 Series Displays.

Most if not all of the third party cards being developed will include the required video processing to ensure RGBHV at Video level will still be possible via the HD15 socket.

I'm hoping to have some documentation later today that finally 'describes' what's going on in FRC Modes 1, 2 and 3.

Ourselves (and others I'm sure) will offer some form of 'trade in' if existing MXE1 customers are wanting to swap a Pioneer video card for a third party HDCP enabled card - and no problem supplying an MXE1 with no card to start with; the card costs around £200.00.

A pair of side mount speakers for a 50MXE1 will set you back around £200.00.

Best regards

Joe

13. Bill4

Bill4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Joe.

I've made up my mind. It's the 50" MXE1 choral. Can you match the price of £4,567.23 from www.ivojo.co.uk + £200 for the speaker? You can PM me. When can you deliver?

Best regards

Bill

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    Hello Bill

You have a PM.

Best regards