Question Q or R series Kef

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by nobby, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    hi

as there are now deals on the Q series I was wondering what the best way forward would be ... would purchasing q700 or 900 floorstanders be better than possibly getting a set of r500's?
    i would be looking at getting the relevant centre speaker as well and in the 1st instance purchase the front sound stage

i am going to replace my a/v setup as potentially moving into a new house during 2017 and upgrading my current system which is based on my signature equipment below

i plan to use the room for both home cinema and stereo ... hoping to build a 7.1.4 setup

the current deals on some of these q series speakers is good and would it be better to take advantage of these prices as there is nothing happening re r series unless there is decent discount from suppliers directly?

i know speaker purchase is very personal to your own hearing but was wondering what people's thoughts where on moving from the b&w's below to the q's or r's?

also out of curiosity what would be the selling price on these b&w's now?

2. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I moved from older generation KEF Q speakers (Q65SE) to R500 and R200C a couple of years ago, and there was a very distinct difference between the speakers. There is a definite difference in clarity, soundstage and detail that could be heard in music that made the Q sound woolly by comparison.

I have not heard the current generation Q speakers, but I would still expect there to be a significant difference given you are looking a two different speaker ranges from the same manufacture. Given you want to listen to music as well, you may find that swings you more towards to the R500 (or bigger!).

I use another two R500 as surround speakers, and KEF T101 to make a 7.1.2 system.

3. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i need to see what's available in terms of r's and pricing or if there is anything available to purchase in the classifieds. see what pans out ... at the moment i am in no hurry to purchase/replace so very much looking at options

4. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
  5. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    thank you for that link ... thats a really good price!!!
    i love the black piano finish as i have seen it and looks great and IMHO would age better ... BUT this is great pricing

6. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Try Fanthorpes in Hull Kef R500 Speakers - B Grade - Call for best price - these are gloss black.

Beware - everyone I have spoken to says the gloss black shows up every speck of dust and fingerprint. You might find yourself spending more time polishing them than listening to them.

7. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    LOL but i love black

i am well aware of owning black things ... both my car and motorbike are black and they are a b1tch to keep!!!

but look great when clean ... but appreciate advice like this as i have a 3 year old daughter who is just the biggest messer about ... but likely be 4 when all this happens ... perhaps sense will have set in.

8. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,525
    I have gloss black R700s and R100s as rears. My 3 year old daughter likes to use the R700s as a mirror. Never had an issue with them being a fingerprint magnet etc.
    Performance wide, the best speakers I have ever owned!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    How big is your room? Like all floorstanders the KEF R, or Q series need careful positioning to get the best out of them. I would dearly loved to have had a pair of R700s but simply do not have the room, the same went for the R500s. However a pair of R300s simply fill the room and they will easily out perform even the Q700. There is a difference in finish, the R series in piano black look stunning.

I find the stereo performance of my R300s to be very good. My music choice doesn't demand very deep bass so the 300s in direct mode go deep enough for me. They are very agile and detailed speakers with terrific mids, something I felt was lacking in the Q700s at least. How good the R700 or 900 are I can only droll over.

Both the R300 and R500 will sit happily alongside the R200C but the R700 and R900 need a 600C. R100s as surrounds are easy to wall mount. Living in a child free house I do not suffer from little finger prints and dust ins'nt really that bad.

10. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    It's around 4.2x2.5m as potential... but pending on house purchase could be bigger!

11. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I was thinking at a minimum q500 upfront with the 600c with suitable kef ceiling speakers for atmos and then upgrade my remaining speakers with further kef range down the line

12. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    R, or second hand Reference.

13. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    At my budget the R series ... reference is another level

14. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    ... even at used prices [emoji26]

15. MikeSSV

MikeSSV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    hi nobby,

I have the Kef R500, R200C and 2x R100 as side surrounds. I'll be adding 2 Ci200RR-THX for Atmos soon.

I've had them for 2 years and are very impressed with them, even with my POS Denon 1912 receiver which will be gone soon!

I would also check out the MA Golds too. They are another great speaker!

My only suggestion to you would be to hold off until you buy a new home.
    My wife and I are intending to build a new home, and as I'll have a dedicated theatre, I'll likely re-purpose these in other rooms. Having said that, Kef is likely to end up in the dedicated theatre too!

16. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i cannot see me pulling the trigger UNLESS there is a great deal to be had on purchasing around this time ... i can live in hope. whatever i decide to do in terms of build or buy is that there will be a definite a/v room and it has to be of a decent size to facilitate a 'batcave' as i will be hoping to install projector etc and these can require a decent sized room for throw distances etc.

i will try and get a better demo from a local retailer but i was impressed with what i heard and it made a style of music i would not otherwise listen to ... err listenable!!!!

i think the golds would be pushing my budget and these would be even more difficult to demo over here in NI ... local RS store only has silvers.

17. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    Do you have an AudioT outlet within distance? You will get a minimum of 12.5% off the list price of KEF speakers.

That works out as £1437.50 off a pair of Reference 5 floorstanders! Go on son. Fill yer boots.:thumbsup:

18. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,525
    Bought all of mine at heavy discount either through being 2nd hand or B-Stock. Nintronics have an eBay page.

19. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    The nintronics ebay store is more expensive than buying from Nintronics direct! They've loaded the prices to include ebay fees.

20. MikeSSV

MikeSSV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    If you intend to build a bat cave, would you be hiding the speakers behind an AT screen?
    If so, B stock would be great!
    Their in wall and in ceiling looks great for surrounds too. I would likely go with that option for my new build in the future.

I'm not too familiar with MA Gold UK prices. When I bought my Kef Rs, they were about half way in price between the MA Silver and Golds. Now they are priced a bit more than the MA Golds!

21. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    at this moment i am unsure about hiding speakers behind screen as unsure if i will be building or purchasing a house. if building then yes would look at this option but at this time its looking more like a purchase so hence the interest in kef

i will hopefully be able to purchase in ceiling speakers for Atmos compatability and would hope to do that in purchase/build option. if not i would look at putting in a false ceiling to do this. at the moment i dont see much in terms of offers on MA Golds and as i say i have a harder time of demoing these over here!

22. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,525
    OK, its not actually the Nintronics eBay page per say. Its an independant page thats run by staff.

23. Nat64

Nat64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have both a set of Q700's and R500's. Music only.
    They are both good but there is a difference but only if you put them side by side. The Q700's are a great speaker for the money. I paid £480 for the Q700's new . The R500's were £1500 new.
    I cannot recommend kef speakers enough. I love my R500's and think they are the best speaker I have heard .
    Now I am going to ruin your evening ( or make it ). If you are quick, Superfi have the limited edition R700's in black for £1400 brand new all singing and dancing.

KEF R700 Floorstanding Speakers - Limited Edition Black - Superfi

I wouldn't hesitate.