Q: Online Play - eg: Gran Turismo, can you compare laptimes with your mates?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by shedtastic, Feb 13, 2009.

1. shedtastic

shedtastic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK - I'm looking to switch from xBox 360 to PS3, mainly because I don't want to pay Microsoft £5 a month just so I can occasionally play online.. (Also I now have an HD TV so a Blu-ray player would be useful, and I'm fed up with RROD)

BUT..

I want to know a little more about online play with the PS3. I dabbled with online play with Forza2 on the 360, and loved the way you could see your laptime ranking not only worldwide, but also within just your online 'buddies'. For me this was better than just logging in and racing a bunch of strangers (who usually whooped me since I'm not that frequent a player) and even better than playing a race with my online mates, (since that was too difficult to organize..). I loved that I could just come back from the pub and see that (for example) my mate Pete had spent all afternoon trying to beat my laptime on a specific track - And then I'd spend all night trying to get the number #1 spot back..

Is there something similar on the PS3 racing games, or is the online play all about actual live racing with remotely located people?

I know it sounds pedantic, but I'll be very hacked off if I eBay all the 360 gear and blow the proceeds on a PS3 only to find this key feature doesn't exist..

Any other comments about the online features welcome!

Thanks in advance, and hoping to join you in PS3 land soon..

Neil.

2. shedtastic

shedtastic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm.. Bought the PS3 and it appears that no, it doesn't have this feature (i.e. a mini-league table of laptimes for you and your PSN mates only)

I hope it's a feature that appears in the full GT5 game (and some others..) when that comes out - because that's a really neat feature on the 360..

Neil.

3. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    have a look at my race driver grid and there dont do it either..

it's some thing i'v never thought of.. but it's not a bad idea

andrew

4. shedtastic

shedtastic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Damn - I'd hoped that it might be missing from GT5 Prologue simply due to the fact that it's a bit 'stripped out'. I was hoping the other driving games like GRID would do it..

Thanks for looking though!