Q: DVD32R - does it have problems with DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW discs? How about SDI?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by skc3361, Jul 7, 2005.

1. skc3361

skc3361
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm quite new to this excellent forum. I own the AV32Rbp192 7,1 (soon to be upgraded to DP status) and the 100x5R:10 7 channel amp along with a Denon DVD-A11 DVD player and I'm very satisfied. But I've stumbled across the Tag Mc DVD32R which looks very promissing. The seller claims that it have been upgraded with new laser assembly and mechanism fitted in nov 2003. I've heard from my local dealer where I purchased my Tag gear that the DVD32R is very good at everything besides playing DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW discs - is that true? Is it the "old" laser assembly that can't play these discs or can the newer assembly play recordable discs? My Denon plays them well but I'd like to replace it with the Tag entirely if possible.

Another quick question - do anyone of you know if the DVD32R can be modified with SDI output? I use the DVDO Iscan HD scaler with SDI input connected to my Denon DVD-A11 and it works very well at that...

Hope to hear from someone...

Kind Regards

Søren Kruse Christensen
    Denmark

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi.
    If the unit has the new laser mechanism (S58 firmware, check via the setup menu) then in my experience it plays just about everything (DVD-R/RW etc.), and anything it doesn't play is normally authoring issues not the player.....
    I have to say that CD replay is still just about perfect and certianly would give a DENON a seriously bad time. Video replay, well, the gap is a lot smaller but I'd still give an edge to the TAG on interlaced component.....
    SDI mods, not that I know of.....

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Forgot to add, make absolutely sure it is in perfect working order and get a warrenty if possible, as DVD32R's are not the most reliable of players and repair costs might be a bit steep..... A good one is stunning, a bad one fustrating....

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Søren
    There is no logic in doing SDI modification on TAG DVD players since Panthera chip has no digital output. It would therefore introduce additional signal conversion which is exactly opposite to purpose of SDI.