Q: DMR-E30 Owners please read

fredl

Standard Member
I'm considering buying my DMR-E30 from the UK since the difference in price is huge. Can you select which PAL system to use with the built in tuner?`

Obviously RGB will still work, but I need that tuner to work here in Sweden.

Thanks!

Timh

Distinguished Member
I don't think its available here yet, it was supposed to be available in August.

fredl

Standard Member
It has arrived in some London shops, and with the abundance of early adopters in this forum I thought someone would have snagged one by now. :)

I will bide my time for a while longer.

gringottsdirect

Panasonic U.K. have sent them out to shops in last couple of weeks, noticed U.K. model does not have component video outputs, hence no PS, bit strange seeing as some of their tvs have PS input now.
DM-HS2 sans PS too probably ?

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
it also does not have DV IN.

Good launch price.......but corners have been cut.

Timh

Distinguished Member
noticed U.K. model does not have component video outputs,

According to av-land it has componant out, if it doesn't I for one will not be buying one, it needs componant out for connecting to my projector :(

gringottsdirect

Originally posted by Timh
According to av-land it has componant out, if it doesn't I for one will not be buying one, it needs componant out for connecting to my projector :(

Tim,
Perhaps AV-Land are not U.K. sourced ?
I picked up the DMR-E30 and checked it all out........nice fan on the back, it's Made In Japan and looks slightly different from photographs, not as mirror shiny style.
Definitely no component outs though.....:(

michaelab

Does anyone know the answer to the original question? Does the E-30 have switchable PAL tuner modes (ie I/BG/DK sound carriers)?

I need to know this too as I want to buy one in the UK for use in Portugal which uses PAL BG like most of Europe (whereas the UK uses PAL I). Here in Portugal I'll be lucky if the E-30 is on sale before Christmas and then it's likely to cost at least €1000 if the prices of E-20s here are anything to go by (€1800)!

Thanks,
Michael.

E

Evilbro

I'm still waiting to find out if the UK model records NTSC signals. All the places I have contacted for info have given me different answers. Does anyone know for sure?

nunew33

Standard Member
Might sound obvious but has anyone asked the panasonic helpline.

They have always answered my questions about stuff that is released

G

Gasue

AVland.co.uk are UK sourced (so they said when I ordered) and they do have them as mine has just turned up at home - although I am at work and can't play until tonight!:(

Gasue,
Do you know if you got the 2 DVD-RAM and and 5 DVD-R as promised in the AVLAND advert?

NigelB

G

Gasue

Got 2 DVD-RAM's, but no DVD-R's - am taking them to task today!

Delivery note makes mention of DVD-R's, but they are not there!

They have been very helpful so far though so I don't see any real problem getting them.

Have you had the same thing then? It would be useful to make alliances to battle the big guy's!

G

Gasue

Fredl,

There were no obvious options about PAL tuner selection or country so I would say it is not switchable. I looked at literally every menu on the DMR-E30 last night in my 6-hour play session:)

Otherwise I would do nothing, but suggest this as a great buy (if you are staying in the UK with it;) ).

C

Chimp

Originally posted by Timh

Nope, you have read wrong. it says 0 for component inputs and outputs

But it does have RGB

C

Chimp

Originally posted by Gasue
Got 2 DVD-RAM's, but no DVD-R's - am taking them to task today!

Delivery note makes mention of DVD-R's, but they are not there!

They have been very helpful so far though so I don't see any real problem getting them.

Have you had the same thing then? It would be useful to make alliances to battle the big guy's!

They should be on your receipt as "to follow" or "Customer order" as we had sold out of them.
They will be posted out as soon as they come back in to stock

I don't normally post on here, but you can normally find me on the uk.media.home-cinema newsgroup and uk.media.dvd
I have also set up a newsgroup on usenet for the talking about DVD-R alt.video.dvdr

Gasue,
No I have not ordered mine yet but will do some time this month so was only checking if the offer was cosher?
By the way, what are your first impressions of the E30 now that you have had a play? Any issues or concerns or is it still doing all that you wish?
I have not yet seen a review of this recorder anywhere so would appreciate any comments?

NigelB

Kirk

Standard Member
Just a quick slightly off topic question here....

Are you guys using the E30 in lieu of a DVD Player or in addition to?

I am just curious, I think I will be getting myself the dogs doobries of a DVD player & a seperate DVD Recorder, although i will probably be making sure both are Multi Region!

Even if the (curious) rumours are true about the DVD Forum discussing dropping regional coding......

michaelab

Bad news on the PAL front I'm afraid: I called then Panasonic customer help line (08705 375 375) and they told me an E30 bought in the UK will only work with the UKs PAL I and is not switchable to PAL BG.

This is pretty disappointing IMO. Most TVs and VCRs these days, except completely bargain basement models have switchable PAL so it seems odd that a high end piece of kit like the E30 wouldn't support it.

I wonder if web sites like Nomatica (based in France) take the ordering country into account (they have English, French, German, Portuguese etc. versions of the site) and ship the 'correct' model...

Looks like I'll have to source my E-30 in Germany :(

Michael.

michaelab

Originally posted by michaelab
Looks like I'll have to source my E-30 in Germany
Well, it's not that bad after all, www.computeruniverse.net in Germany have the E-30 for €800 which is only slightly more than the UK prices.

Also, their page about the E-30 confirms that the 'European' model (full name DMR E-30 EG-S) only supports PAL B/G/H and not PAL I. The full UK (PAL I) model name is DMR E-30 EB-S.

FYI October's What Video & TV has a review of both the DMR E-30 and the Philips DVDR 890 and rates them both very highly.

Michael.

G

Gasue

Avland.co.uk are as good as I hoped - disks that were missing turned up yesterday! Only two days after the machineand as soon as they got new stock as advised.

Nothing but praise for both the DMR-E30 and avland.co.uk!

Even wife has made compilation of kids programs on DVD-R without instruction from me!

fredl

Standard Member
That PAL/I and PAL/BG nonsense really ticks me off. The difference for me between sourcing the player from Germany/UK is almost double what the price difference of the Phil 880 and the Panny is. I can't believe that it's economical to do different versions for different EU countrys.

michaelab

I agree with you fredl (allthough I can't quite make out what you're saying in your last post!). I checked with Philips and the same thing applies to their 880 and 890 players: UK models won't work in the rest of Europe.

It seems to me that both Philips and Panasonic do a UK model and a 'rest of Europe' model. Why they can't just make a single model I don't understand. I took a look at the user manual for a Philips 890 on the web and it even has a 'Select Country' option in the menu - surely that would be the ideal place to switch TV standards etc. It's not as if there's a huge difference between PAL I and PAL B/G, what's more, the 'European' model usually supports SECAM (for France) aswell and that is a totally different standard.

However, if you look at online retailers in Germany the prices are close to what you can get in the UK and (in my case) FAR lower than the local price so it's OK for me. Surely the German retailers will work for you too?

Michael.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco Audio introduces new N100-H50 digital music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 16th June 2021