1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q Bass dead. And now?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Arthur.S, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it sez, my ol' original Rel Q bass seems to have bit the dust. Power to it OK, but no other sign of life. Tried changing the fuse in it just in case. No luck. So I've 3 questions:
    1. Is it economically repairable?
    2. Is is user repairable? (Never even looked inside a sub)
    3. If no & no, what's recommended to replace it with? My other sub is a Rel Q 200E, so I guess another one of those would be ideal. But I quite like having 2 different types as they both have different strong points. Budget would be about £400-450.

Cheers.

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange. e-mail telling me 'mylo' replied to this, but there's nowt here!

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Sorry mate, I meant to edit my post but deleted it instead. Then forgot.:blush:

It is possible there is a fuse inside the unit itself. This would be accessible by removing the amp panel. My old sub had a fuse in the plug and a separate fuse on the neutral wire (mounted on the amp). Not sure if this would apply to REL but it's worth a shot.

Regards, Mylo

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Probably the best subwoofer available under £400 is the XLS200 available directly from BK Electronics here at £279.

The company may not be a well known name but they manufacture subwoofers on behalf of a number of speaker "manufacturers" and know what they are doing.

The price is kept down as there is no hefty advertising and no huge dealer margins, much as with SVS from the States but unlike most other subs at this sort of price they only use quality components meaning that they punch much higher than their price would indicate.

Quite a few people here have bought them and I don't think that you will find any comments other than hugely positive ones.

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mylo, yes there's a fuse in the unit. Tried changing it. (even had my fingers crossed :( ) Ian, looks good, but not heard of it, will dig around. Looks similar spec to my Q200E. The Velodyne CHT-10 seems to be well rated. Any thoughts on that?