Quantcast

Q acoustics

wilko888

Novice Member
Evening all. I think I’ve done the in speakable and damaged my 3050 q Acoustics. They sound all muffled. I had it cranked right up a little while ago and noticed it then but forgot all about it until tonight.
Any advice please??
Cheers

Gray3

Evening all. I think I’ve done the in speakable and damaged my 3050 q Acoustics. They sound all muffled. I had it cranked right up a little while ago and noticed it then but forgot all about it until tonight.
Any advice please??
Cheers
'Cranked right up' = clipping = burnt out tweeter(s)....probably (from your 'muffled' description).
I used to work in Service / returns departments where voice coils of open circuit drivers were always examined.
The only advice I can give you is not to be too disappointed if your warranty doesn't cover the damage.

wilko888

Novice Member
Have you ever replaced them?? Just phoned Richer Sounds and yes ..... they won’t be covered by the 6 year warranty on the speakers 🤷

Gray3

Check first to see whether one or both tweeters have suffered.
If your amp's got a balance control, pan it fully left then right to identify the muffled speaker.
Ensure that mid/bass sounds OK on both (so you know mid/bass drivers are OK)
Next remove the links and connect speaker wires only to the upper (HF) terminals.
Do the same again with the balance control.
Confirm that the muffled side is dead - and, importantly, that the working tweeter sounds clean (it may not be burnt out, but the overheated coil could still be distorted).

Next move is to contact Q Acoustics, get the price for them to replace one or both tweeters.
Then get their price for a tweeter.
(You never know, they may show sympathy to you with their prices).
Cheapest option may be to replace the tweeter(s) yourself - which may not even involve soldering - if there's push-on termination - just remember that polarity is critical when connecting the new driver(s).
Access is likely to be by removing mid/bass driver(s) - They should be happy to advise you.

Good luck and perhaps report back with the outcome.

wilko888

Novice Member
Thank you so much for the reply. Yeah unfortunately they have both gone 😩. There doesn’t seem to be any fixings/ screws/ access on the fronts. The only screws on these are at the terminal points. Have you ever seen anyone post the way to get access to them? Thank you so much for the help.

wilko888

Novice Member
Okay. Got them out. The covers on the fronts pull off exposing 5 screws. Now off to Richer Sounds in Bournemouth to ask the question, ‘Which part of the speaker has 6 Year Warranty??? 🤔😉

Attachments

Gray3

Didn't take long to whip them out Wilco!
For what it's worth a multimeter resistance test would confirm they're both open-circuit.
But you've probably been to RS by now - though I'm not really sure how they will help.
Hope the tweeters aren't too expensive - no doubt you can buy cheaper replacements but you want the matched pair from Q Acoustics
Remember to put appropriate coloured wires back on new drivers + and - (looks like yellow positive)
Then what I don't need to remind you........keep the cranking below half way!
Glad to have helped you.
Let me know how you get on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom