• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Q acoustics

sands

Novice Member
Hi all, I just bought AVR Yamaha rx-v573 plus Q Acoustics 2020i as fronts for my small room. In a few months I want to buy 2010i rears and 2010ci center. As for the sub I would appreciate some help- 2070si is quite expensive and I think for movies I could get some cheaper sub.
Another option is to keep my older 5.1 set Yamaha NS-P40 for movies and use 2020i for stereo in zone 2.
In this case would it help if I change the Yamaha subwoofer? NS-P40 have weak low-mid output.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd try to stick with your initially suggestion and use QA speakers throughout. I'd suggest you look at the BK Gemini II as an alternative to the Q Acoustics 2070 sub:

Gemini

As far a movies are concerned, the sub is as important if not more so than it would be in relation to stereo music reproduction. Movies included audio that has a channel intented solely for a subwoofer. It is only because many sat speakers ordinarily bundled with home theatre setups lack the ability to handle bass that the sub has become associated with bass in generally as opposed to being used just for LFE duties. Most dedicated stereo setups work well without a sub because they use more capable speakers than those speakers now commonly associated by many with home theatre.

Last edited:

sands

Novice Member
well I dont think the sub is used only with small sat speakers. Even floorstanders use dedicated sub for movies cause they just wont go that deep. Anyway do you think in case I would keep that yamaha set the upgrade of subwoofer would help a lot with movie sound?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The issue in relation to the sub's use with stereo audio would depend upon the speakers own ability to handle low frequencies. There's no real need to utilise a subwoofer within a dedicated stereo setup that utilises full size cabinet speakers because you will in all likelihood not be using the small and diminutive sat speakers that have become more synonymous with home theatre packages. It is only these speakers that need a sub to cover for their deficiencies. A movie will include anLFE channel that carries frequencies below what you'd expect to find in association with stereo audio and this is why the sub is more important in relation to an AV multichannel setup than it is to a dedicated stereo setup. If you had floorstanders then you'd not need the sub in relation to 2 channel stereo content, but its use is still required in relation to multichannel audio that includes an LFE channel. Many dedicated stereo setups run perfectly well without a subwoofer being present. It is suggested that a crossover of 80Hz be used on AV receiver in relation to the sub pre out, redirecting all frequencies at and below this point from the speakers to the sub, but many diminutive sat speakers can't even achieve frequencies below 120Hz let alone 80Hz. It is the use of such speakers that has given rise to the belief that every setup needs a sub even in relation to stereo 2 channel content.

I'd suggest you try to use Q Acoustics speakers throughout with the option of a BK Gemini sub as an alternative to the Q Acoustics 2070 sub. The Yamaha speakers are nothing special and the only real reason to buy them is if you cannot afford something better? Using a different sub in conjunction with them will not improve their abilities in respects to their mid and hi frequency handling abilities. The Q Acoustics speakers will award you better mid and high frequency performance than the Yamaha speakers and this is the reason why I suggest the Q Acoustic speakers over the Yamaha speakers.

Regardless of whether you've a stereo or a multichannel setup, the speakers will be heard and used far more than the sub. Their quality should be addressed before addressing the subs abilities because the speakers will play a larger part in how the setup sounds than the sub will. The QA speakers are better than those included with the Yamaha package.

Another viable alternative to the QA 2070 or Gemini sub would be this:
Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer (Black) - Superfi

Last edited:

sands

Novice Member
You got that right. I will buy the Q acoustics center.Now the Rear speakers can be used from my yamahas as the main focus is on the fronts would it make any difference? And subwoofer from wharfedale is a lot better for movies?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Using the Yamaha speakers on a temporary basis at the rear will be okay and the most important speakers are the three front speakers. I would ultimately suggest you also replace the rear Yamaha speakers with something better at a later date. Either the SW150 or the Gemini would be fine and are both very good value for money options.

sands

Novice Member
ok thanks. theres one more thing.. this set is quite good for movies :thumbsup:, but not good enough for stereo. Do you think I should build another system for music later? coz changing the fronts for some other brand is not a good idea.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom