Q-Acoustics vs Wharfedale vs Mission

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Crono, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Crono

Crono
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just made a thread in the Amp/Receiver section asking for advice comparing three amps and apparently I've quite a similar dilemma with speakers. :)

The Q-Acoustics 1010i 5.1 system is going for £399, the Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP 5.1 system is going for £340 and the Mission 5.0 set is going for £370. The Mission comes with M33i floorstanders, two bookshelfs and a centre speaker (with no sub). Take into account that I'll need two pairs of stands with the former two and one pair with the latter.

What I'd really like to know, is whether a sub is actually essential in the case of purchasing a system with floorstanding speakers.. would they produce enough bass regardless? Unfortunately buying a separate, quality sub along with the Mission is out of the question at the moment as I've already stretched the budget, but I'd always be able to upgrade in the future if it's needed.

What would give me the most bang for my buck right now?

2. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +690
    Absolutely, within the limitation of the systems proposed, floorstanding or bookshelf, a sub is essential for both movies and music (opinions may differ with music). I can not recommend any from that list but would say that you seriously consider some of the XTZ range of speakers from the Powerbuy section. Also if this is your first foray into AV, take it slow and buy quality over quantity, e.g. stereo speakers (£400) plus a sub (£400) if you can stretch that far for now then later when funds become available add centre and surrounds, in the long run this will give the greatest bang for buck.