Q Acoustics - Reliability?

MikhailCompo

Established Member
Reaction score
I previously had a Q Acoustics Sub 1000Si subwoofer that died (the internal fuse kept blowing). I sent it back and it was repaired (and damaged) and returned and it died again less than a year later (again, power related issue) after it was out of warranty so they would not repair it for free.

This has left me with a really bed impression of Q Acoustics as they were clearly using unsuitable parts.

Reviews never take into consideration reliability, they are always rushed out as soon as products go to market, so I am asking the community, have you had any issues with y our Q Acoustics sub?

I have a 2070si and it has been faultless, as are other 2070si owners. The 3070 has a reputation for faulty amps and is the one to avoid. I owned a 3070 which was faultless during the brief period I owned it. I can't comment as I have no experience of the other subs, 3060, 7000, etc.

The amp in the newer QB 12 is made by Texas Instruments and is independently designed from your 1000 series sub.

What you are experiencing is the halo effect.

I previously had a Q Acoustics Sub 1000Si subwoofer that died (the internal fuse kept blowing). I sent it back and it was repaired (and damaged) and returned and it died again less than a year later (again, power related issue) after it was out of warranty so they would not repair it for free.

This has left me with a really bed impression of Q Acoustics as they were clearly using unsuitable parts.

Reviews never take into consideration reliability, they are always rushed out as soon as products go to market, so I am asking the community, have you had any issues with y our Q Acoustics sub?

It`s same thing for many other speaker manufacturer subs. They are built cheaply with poor cheap Chinese amps to fit in certain price range for them to sell it as 5.1 package. This is good reason for you to look elsewhere as there is no need to buy matching sub to speakers! You get 5year warranty from dedicated subwoofer manufacturer. This doesn´t even factor in the better build quality, performance and support/service you get. But yeah people want to go cheap and then you get what you pay for..

What you are experiencing is the halo effect.
What is the halo effect?
The amp in the newer QB 12 is made by Texas Instruments and is independently designed from your 1000 series sub.
This is good to know. I would be more confident with Texas Instruments handling the circuitry than QA.

In plain terms, the halo effect is when you have experience of something and think other things in the same stable will have the same characteristic.

eg If you think the 1000 series sub is unreliable then you'll think there is a possibility that other QA subs will also be unreliable, even if the two products are unrelated, designed and built independently and the only thing they share is the badge.

In plain terms, the halo effect is when you have experience of something and think other things in the same stable will have the same characteristic.

eg If you think the 1000 series sub is unreliable then you'll think there is a possibility that other QA subs will also be unreliable, even if the two products are unrelated, designed and built independently and the only thing they share is the badge.
aka logic

Richer sounds offers extended warranty on all subs.

Arendal, Monoprice, SVS, Rel are the mainstream decent well known brands on this forum. Im sure are are others that are less known.

Where are they, we need to promote small companies.

BK is only 2 years but customer service is excellent.

BK Electronics uses older class ab amps where as most manufacturers uses class-d these days, but those aren`t often repaired where as with BK you often can get it repaired under 100£, even some 10year old ones have been fixed cheaply. One might see this as benefit / balacing for the fact the amp warranty is fairly short. Looking your gear you are likely looking some budget option, then the BKE products are usually first thing to look assuming you live in UK. Check link below:

Can you name a company that offers this?

Specifically SVS and Arendal Sound, but the prices are from 600/700£ upwards.

A BK makes financial sense in the long term. They are cheaply priced in the first place for what you're getting and very good value for money. You may never need to get it repaired during your ownership. If you buy a gemini 2 for example, you can probably get at least half your money or more back after 10 years use provided you keep in excellent condition with all the accessories and box.

BK sound really interesting, shame I don't live down that end of the country any longer.

I would still consider them though, especially regarding the tunability as I am definitely a believer of the impact a room has on the sound and especially bass.

BK sound really interesting, shame I don't live down that end of the country any longer.

I would still consider them though, especially regarding the tunability as I am definitely a believer of the impact a room has on the sound and especially bass.

Where do you live?

Oop north

Lancs

So still in UK so you can order it normally with low shipping costs.

If intrested what i would advise to do is look model little bit larger than the 1000Si so you get more noticeable upgrade. That would mean BK Double Gem or P12-300SB / XXLS400 or P12-PR. Or if more serious then Monolith.

They have another channel on Ebay where they sell new grade-b stuff, full warranty and no visible marks. Bookmark this site as they put new stuff almost daily there. You would save good amount if you find finish that you like:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Good advice has been given already.
I started off with the qa 2000 setup and still have a lot of respect for what they do.
A friend still has the system and the 2070 sub is fine still after at least 10 years.
I have had several higher-end sub amps fail on me in the meantime (Sunfire/mk/svs) and each time it needed a replacement. Sub amps have a tough job and I would agree that you either need a long warranty on class d or get class ab which is repairable (BK is the only one I can think of at the moment that seem to do this for a very reasonable price). Depends on your budget but it may also be cheaper just to risk it on a second-hand purchase.
A lot of new subs have a lot of eq flexibility which may be useful depending on how well your Denon eq your sub to the room but again it depends on how much you are spending.

I have had several higher-end sub amps fail on me in the meantime (Sunfire/mk/svs)
Can I ask which SVS sub model it was which failed?

13 ultra. SVS gives a 5 year warranty. After that, it was about £400 for a replacement which was pretty reasonable but I think that's gone up 100/200 now for the latest plate amp (but at least they offer a replacement for older models)

13 ultra. SVS gives a 5 year warranty. After that, it was about £400 for a replacement which was pretty reasonable but I think that's gone up 100/200 now for the latest plate amp (but at least they offer a replacement for older models)
Did you return it to the US, or did a distributor deal with the return?

The UK distributor, very smooth and I cant fault SVS support or Karma in the UK (not sure if it still them). It came with another 5 year guarantee too which I was allowed to pass on to the person who then bought that sub off me. Sent to me in a few days. I still have the old plate amp somewhere just in case I come across anyone who can fix it.

I've had my BK XLS200 Mk 2 sub for over 7 years and it's been totally trouble free, I would highly recommend BK don't think you can go wrong with them. They are cheaper as they sell directly to the customer, no middle man. They also have made subs for REL.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom