Q Acoustics Q3030i Standmount Speaker Review & Comments

Sometimes it doesn't matter what they sound like, they dont need to he best in class if the marketing is done right.

Multiple excellent user reviews and word of mouth help massively...

Is it just me or does the recessed highs make it sound very comfortable (incl the upper midrange) but could lack in details where the 3000 non i had a more in your face mids and highs

Hi,

I'm running my 3020i's with a Denon DRA-F102 amp, Topping E30 DAC and an RPi/Volumio streamer. Speakers are inside a shelf, no other option in my room. For sure, they would sound better on stands, with some space around them, but it is what it is for now, and I really like the QA's sound.

I have another system consisting of a Yamaha WXA-50 and Canton Chrono 502.2 speakers on stands with a proper distance from the back wall. The sound is a bit treble-heavy and bass-light, so I would like to upgrade to the 3030i's, Also, QAs are more efficient than Cantons, which is important for my Yamaha.

What do you all think?
Thanks

Hi,

I'm running my 3020i's with a Denon DRA-F102 amp, Topping E30 DAC and an RPi/Volumio streamer. Speakers are inside a shelf, no other option in my room. For sure, they would sound better on stands, with some space around them, but it is what it is for now, and I really like the QA's sound.

I have another system consisting of a Yamaha WXA-50 and Canton Chrono 502.2 speakers on stands with a proper distance from the back wall. The sound is a bit treble-heavy and bass-light, so I would like to upgrade to the 3030i's, Also, QAs are more efficient than Cantons, which is important for my Yamaha.

What do you all think?
Thanks
Hi,

I don't know anything about your current speakers, but I do own the 3030i's... and they are anything but bass-light. They go down comfortably to about 38Hz in my room (and I mean comfortably), and can slam enough to satisfy...not as much as a subwoofer, but you can still feel the bass, not just hear it. They are indeed easy to power and are happy running on a tiny NAD D3020v2 amp at 30w per channel into 8ohm, although independent testing said it is more like 50w per channel, as NAD appear to have undervalued their power rating on this amp. To me, the sound is slightly on the warm side, with great bass and just a little sparkle on top. Not the most detailed sound, but smooth and easy to listen to, super easy to position, and forgiving enough to pair with a range of amps and sources.

I'd happily recommend them to anyone who wants to just sit back and enjoy the music. If you want holographic imaging or an intense "rock till you drop" sound, these are not for you. If you want smooth with plenty of slam, these are brilliant for the money.

Hi,

I don't know anything about your current speakers, but I do own the 3030i's... and they are anything but bass-light. They go down comfortably to about 38Hz in my room (and I mean comfortably), and can slam enough to satisfy...not as much as a subwoofer, but you can still feel the bass, not just hear it. They are indeed easy to power and are happy running on a tiny NAD D3020v2 amp at 30w per channel into 8ohm, although independent testing said it is more like 50w per channel, as NAD appear to have undervalued their power rating on this amp. To me, the sound is slightly on the warm side, with great bass and just a little sparkle on top. Not the most detailed sound, but smooth and easy to listen to, super easy to position, and forgiving enough to pair with a range of amps and sources.

I'd happily recommend them to anyone who wants to just sit back and enjoy the music. If you want holographic imaging or an intense "rock till you drop" sound, these are not for you. If you want smooth with plenty of slam, these are brilliant for the money.
Thanks,
I would happily move my 3020i's to that other system, but I feel I would not gain too much in the bass region because they're the same size as my Cantons, so that's why I'm thinking about going to 3030i's.
I like the QA sound, it's easy to listen to, has enough sparkle for me (especially paired with a Yamaha amp which is a bit aggressive in the highs), so I wanted to know if the 3030i's are worth the money. From what you say, they obviously are.
Thanks

...so I wanted to know if the 3030i's are worth the money. From what you say, they obviously are.
I would say so. Someone on another forum did some measurements of the 3030i to compare with measurements of the 3020i, and the 3030i is by far the better speaker, not only in terms of low end weight and extension, but it has a flatter overal frequency response and surprisingly little cabinet resonance. While my QA Concept 20s are clearly more refined, with a better soundstage and imaging, the sense of presence created by the bass of the 3030i makes me prefer it overall. In the UK, the 3030i is going for around £240, which is similar to the Concept 20. While I am smitten with the Concepts, the tend to listen to the 3030i's more often and would recommend this one if you had to choose between them.

They truly are a well engineered budget speaker that produces a sound that, for me, far exceeds what I expect for the price. I am confident you will be happy with the upgrade. The 3020i is pale in comparison.

As is the case with all HiFi gear, 3030i are more expensive here in Serbia than in the UK (approx. 345 Pounds at the official importer, while Concept 20s are around 300 GBP).
Hope I'll find some good deal on them soon, so I don't overpay so much.
Didn't hear the Concept 20s, I'll try to audition them as well, but as you said, if they are shy on bass, I would skip them, regardless of the refinement. Judging from the 3020i experience, if 3030i have a similar sound presentation, with the added bass presence, I'm going to be happy with them.
My goal is to clear the subwoofer from the equation - presently I'm using an old Yamaha sub, but I'm not satisfied with the quality of the bass - there is a lot of it, but it's mushy. I will settle for a bit less bass, in order for it to be more tight and precise. And it's less hassle as well.

Hi,

What do you all think?
Thanks
Hi -

It's difficult to offer advice without knowing how your room sounds. But if I were you I'd look at the option of adding a decent subwoofer at line level, like a REL, rather than swapping out speakers, if all you're looking to do is balance out the bass-light/treble-heavy side if the Cantons. I use a REL TZero Mk III with my Q Acoustics Concept 20s and the sound quality is sublime.

As is the case with all HiFi gear, 3030i are more expensive here in Serbia than in the UK (approx. 345 Pounds at the official importer, while Concept 20s are around 300 GBP).
Hope I'll find some good deal on them soon, so I don't overpay so much.
Didn't hear the Concept 20s, I'll try to audition them as well, but as you said, if they are shy on bass, I would skip them, regardless of the refinement. Judging from the 3020i experience, if 3030i have a similar sound presentation, with the added bass presence, I'm going to be happy with them.
My goal is to clear the subwoofer from the equation - presently I'm using an old Yamaha sub, but I'm not satisfied with the quality of the bass - there is a lot of it, but it's mushy. I will settle for a bit less bass, in order for it to be more tight and precise. And it's less hassle as well.
Don't get me wrong, the Concept 20 is a fabulous speaker, even at £300. They don't have much bass extension though. They go down comfortably to 65Hz in my room when positioned about 20cm from the back wall, but there is nothing below 60Hz. The bass you do get is tight and punchy. Just don't expect to hear those low notes at all. You really need to pair these with a subwoofer for best results, as you would with the 3020i. I don't feel I need a subwoofer for music listening on the 3030i.

As for room issues, this is where the Concept 20 really shines. Those cabinets are so inert they feel almost like they are lined with lead. I am using them on a desktop PC setup, stuck in a corner with very poor acoustics. I tried the 3030i there, and despite being very good for near-field listening, the bass was very, very boomy and the imaging and soundstage no worth even mentioning. The Concepts though...well, there is no boom. I know they are missing nearly 30Hz of bass extension, but even similar sized small bookshelves boomed in this position. The Concepts also image well despite the location, providing a nice soundstage where other speakers struggled. The 3030i needs a little more room away from side-walls and the back-wall, but are still very easy to set up. I found they work better in this regard than other speakers of a similar size and price, such as the Wharfedale 12.2, Dali Oberon 1, Dali Spektor 2, Monitor Bronze 2, 50 and 100. The only speaker that we easier to position was the Polk S15e. But it doesn't have the same bass output as the 3030i. I am using them in a small room (4m x 3m) with bare walls and little furniture, in a sort-of-nearfield setup (speakers 1.5m apart), and they are great. Sure, some room correction would probably improve the sound, but I have great bass, no boominess, a wide detailed soundstage, nice imaging. So, I saved the money and bought more music ;)

As for the difference in sound between the 3020i and 3030i...it is more than just adding more bass. The frequency response has measured as a bit smoother and flatter. The midrange and treble are slightly improved, so I am hopeful that you will be more than satisfied with the upgrade.

Sorry to hear about the high cost though. It's the same in Greece. We are rather spoiled here in the UK. Good luck finding a good bargain :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom