Q Acoustics Q3030i Standmount Speaker Review & Comments

t-force

@Ed Selley - thanks for the review Ed. I may have completely mis-understood what the crossover point frequency is referring to, but 2.4 GHz seems a little on the high side, as far as sonic frequencies go...

bogart99

Cannot be bad if one of the two minus points are the looks. Personally I think they look quite nice, especially in the white and walnut.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Yes- wi-fi on the brain, so whenever 2.4 is typed, I go giga. Now corrected.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
It’s a pity QA don’t employ a designer with a bit of flair, or even restraint on the brightwork.

Other wise it sounds like a rock solid buy. If you can get past the gauche.

password1

Agree the looks are subjective.

Personally I think the chrome trim looks a bit cheap, like a coated plastic ring rather than real shiny metal. ive never seen a 3030i in the flesh so don't know if its plastic or metal.

To me, the 3030i is just a bookshelf version of the budget 3050i floorstanders.

Why do they have to make them so deep, together with being rear ported, they take up a lot space, similar footprint to the 3050i.

Bastille

Design is subjective of course, but I think they look great, particularly in the white or wood finishes.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The white and carbon black look good, (if only they’d made the bright work a satin or Matt black)... the timber and grey ones though...? Couldn’t keep them in a cupboard. A dark one.

But, for £289, it’s hard to be censorious.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The white one looks really nice! Shame QA aren´t considering adding larger center channel, i asked and they confirmed it.

This site has measurements for the 3030i and it did measure and sound better than 3020i plus of course the extra bass. Just important to get the tweeters at ear height (vertical response).

TheHighFlyingBirds

Good review. I quite like the look and would love to hear them, as currently have 3020s and 3050s, so interested to hear the difference and see if they would be a better fit in my setup.

As per @Gasp3621 thoughts, would love qacoustics to increase their range, providing centre speaker options, atmos or bipolar speakers; all would be welcome options. Also a line between entry and concept could be interesting, e.g. like MAs with bronze, silver and gold. If I was upgrading my speakers, a higher line but one that is more affordable than the concepts would be a perfect starting point for me to look at. I suppose just concentrating on a small range allows them to concentrate and refine their products, which could explain their well received performance for their price.

andrewpw

Standard Member
I’m newly back to semi decent hifi (low budget) and through a reasonable amount of research and some sheer luck I needed up with a pair of unused 3030i’s with QA official stands off eBay for £220 the lot, and then splashed out on an Rega IO and Topping E30 DAC. I have to say I’m absolutely delighted with the set-up, the music just shines through and I forget I’m listening to a “system”. I’ve supplemented with an old Tannoy FX sub, which adds a new dimension to the bottom end but it’s my next upgrade, as I realise it‘s very much the weak point. And I love the design and finish of the 3030i’s - mine are English Walnut. I wholeheartedly recommend anyone with low budget looking for a first system to give this combo a test listen.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’m newly back to semi decent hifi (low budget) and through a reasonable amount of research and some sheer luck I needed up with a pair of unused 3030i’s with QA official stands off eBay for £220 the lot, and then splashed out on an Rega IO and Topping E30 DAC. I have to say I’m absolutely delighted with the set-up, the music just shines through and I forget I’m listening to a “system”. I’ve supplemented with an old Tannoy FX sub, which adds a new dimension to the bottom end but it’s my next upgrade, as I realise it‘s very much the weak point. And I love the design and finish of the 3030i’s - mine are English Walnut. I wholeheartedly recommend anyone with low budget looking for a first system to give this combo a test listen.

The Tannoy sub was quite impressive in my friends FX5.1 a good while back, but only in the context of a cheap all in one system.

If you get the cash together I’d suggest a BK XLS200

You’ll certainly appreciate the difference.

These are about the best compromise between price and top class subwoofery I’m aware of.

They really are excellent and for music with the QAs, all you’d ever need.

New seconds, factory direct, can be had on eBay for about £320 delivered.

danmarr14

Standard Member
I swapped my 3020is for 3030is for my rear channel, once I redid the EQ on my Denon amp and turned it from "Large" to "Small" speakers (it found them to be large, setting them to small gave me all my detail back!) they are amazing - simply brilliantly synced with 3050is front. Just do it!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I’ll be getting a pair shortly for my Lyngdorf.

I had one a few years ago. I couldn’t fault it.

Keep also eyes on BK P12-300SB if you have space. :) They go 346£ grade-b so not much more than XLS200, but from 18litre cabinet to 50litre and 10" to 12" driver be it music or movies the difference won´t go unnoticed! If too large cab consider also SVS SB1000 at 33x33x33cm (-10% discount from American Audio UK). Not a long ago one member returned REL T5i and kept SB1000 as it sounded fuller for 2ch listening. I don´t know your requirements, but just wanted to say heads up as some people fear larger boxes for some odd reasons. When i had BK Gemini II and heard XXLS400 briefly later it was so clear difference even at normal listening levels.

Onlythesound

Great review Ed and intriguing thoughts about Q Acoustics’ philosophy and approach to design. As a Concept 20 owner, I wonder where they see the 3030i sitting in relation to the C20. (Both widely discounted at the present time).

Bodgit

I replaced the QA sub in my 2000 5.1 system with a BK P12-300SB-DF, and the difference was night and day, highly recommended.

LX200GPS

You can always use a single 3030i or a 3050i on its side if you have space. some people have used a single kef ls50 and sold the other.
I think the general advice is not to use "stereo" speaker on its side for centre speaker duties. Even conventional "centre speakers" perform better when placed verically according to Big Daddy at blu ray. com and those nice people over at Audioholics. By all means use it in a vertical position for that purpose. Three of these up front would be pretty impressive.

password1

I have seen setups where people have used a single speaker from a stereo pair for the centre and be satisfied, even when a dedicated centre is available.

Some 5.1 systems have all 5 speakers identical so Im not sure the rationale that a dedicated centre necessarily performs better than a single stereo speaker. Ideally all front speakers should be the same for the best seamless panning effects.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Keep also eyes on BK P12-300SB if you have space. :) They go 346£ grade-b so not much more than XLS200, but from 18litre cabinet to 50litre and 10" to 12" driver be it music or movies the difference won´t go unnoticed! If too large cab consider also SVS SB1000 at 33x33x33cm (-10% discount from American Audio UK). Not a long ago one member returned REL T5i and kept SB1000 as it sounded fuller for 2ch listening. I don´t know your requirements, but just wanted to say heads up as some people fear larger boxes for some odd reasons. When i had BK Gemini II and heard XXLS400 briefly later it was so clear difference even at normal listening levels.

I was toying with the idea of a pair of P12s. They were my first choice.

But in any case, for now, funds have dried up so new subs are on hold alas.

LX200GPS

I have seen setups where people have used a single speaker from a stereo pair for the centre and be satisfied, even when a dedicated centre is available.

Some 5.1 systems have all 5 speakers identical so Im not sure the rationale that a dedicated centre necessarily performs better than a single stereo speaker. Ideally all front speakers should be the same for the best seamless panning effects.
Marketing? I think I have had three 5.1 speaker set ups over the years and, in all cases, the centre speaker definitely did not sound like the the other two up front. The a/v receiver test signal sounded pretty consistent until it got to the centre - so much for seamless integration. My next set up will have three stereo speakers up front. Obviously, this will be a little more problematic with floorstanders but three decent bookshelf speakers with a sub ought to be sufficient.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD