Q Acoustics Q Active 200 Speaker System Review & Comments

Devonshire

I’m pretty sure the Wharfedales will be pretty good, they (Wharfedale) have a fine reputation.

They use a small mid-bass though an are not active speakers if that’s what you’re after.

You might care to look at these

How are they not active speakers? Maybe I don't know what active speakers are then.

Each Wharfedale speaker plugs into the mains and has its own amp.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
I find it hard to believe that anyone would choose a hifi based on whether or not it turns on with the telly.

But then I thought again... I think I know a couple of people who might well...

Don't worry, we'll be visiting the other side of the 'practicality matrix' with one of next month's review products...

IMG_20210321_101529_120.jpg

Paul7777x

How are they not active speakers? Maybe I don't know what active speakers are then.

Each Wharfedale speaker plugs into the mains and has its own amp.

They are what’s known as powered speakers. That is, each speaker is powered by an amp that drives both of the drivers.

(I can’t find anywhere that specifies two amps per box, it seems to have simply the equivalent of one stereo amp split into two boxes.

True active speakers have four built in power amps (for a stereo pair) one each for each driver. Each power amp is chosen and (usually) DSPd to work directly and precisely on its own driver.

Devonshire

They are what’s known as powered speakers. That is, each speaker is powered by an amp that drives both of the drivers.

(I can’t find anywhere that specifies two amps per box, it seems to have simply the equivalent of one stereo amp split into two boxes.

True active speakers have four built in power amps (for a stereo pair) one each for each driver. Each power amp is chosen and (usually) DSPd to work directly and precisely on its own driver.
Thanks for the explanation! Yes, there is one 50w amp in each Wharfedale speaker that drives both drivers. In reality though, is there much difference between powered and active speakers?

password1

I would consider buying them if they are £400-£600 but at £1500 its a rather expensive gamble especially buying with no demo, there's plenty of choice and solutions well below £1500. What can this speaker system do that another solution, such as those suggested above, can't do?

I dont like the idea of having 3 separate mains cables and hence the need for 3 separate mains sockets which aren't long enough for everyone. Another expense to buy longer mains cables.

Im assuming one of the main selling points is the amount of connectivity, not useful as I only play CDs for music and have a separate surround system for movies.

Ossiepop

I would consider buying them if they are £400-£600 but at £1500 its a rather expensive gamble especially buying with no demo, there's plenty of choice and solutions well below £1500. What can this speaker system do that another solution, such as those suggested above, can't do?

I dont like the idea of having 3 separate mains cables and hence the need for 3 separate mains sockets which aren't long enough for everyone. Another expense to buy longer mains cables.

Im assuming one of the main selling points is the amount of connectivity, not useful as I only play CDs for music and have a separate surround system for movies.

Oh wow, I love doing this too!!! I've spent at least two hours every day this week pondering the existence of things that not only I wouldn't personally be interested in, well not unless they were all of a sudden a lot cheaper anyhow (why don't I get to set the prices of things, it would be so much more convienent for me!?), and as it turns out I don't really actually have a use for either! It's almost as if I am looking at completely irrelevant stuff to me but it's so much fun!!!!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom