Q Acoustics M20 Powered Speaker System Review & Comments

Cameron583

These honestly look like a perfect budget alternative to the KEF LSX, which is exactly what I’d want for some desktop speakers :)

gava

Looks like a fabulous system. My daughter is going off to Uni next year - this seems like an absolutely perfect thing to take with her.

I had something not too different when I went off to Uni.

Last edited:

Captain Ron

Really fancy a pair of these. Might pair them with a Teufel Connector 2 (if I can still buy one from the UK) for network audio playback.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Great write up - wasn't sure where the fried chicken came from but now I'm hungry for it!

For £399, they really are "best in class" - I'm sure Q Acoustics will be happy with that award! Aesthetically prettier than the 3000i series and plenty of balanced performance for smaller living rooms and offices etc :)

They've been a hit here that's for sure!

T1berious

Goes to check how big it is......

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Subtle looking enough not to upset too many people, well priced, and sound excellent?

I suspect QA have an excellent seller on their hands here. Hope so.

gava

I'm very taken with them to be honest. For my main setup I am now able to spend a bit more, but for a bedroom or desktop setup they look fantastic and I would have loved them when I was a student.

If I ever decide to rationalize my current collection of random bits I could easily see getting the M20 for my bedroom and/or desktop, and of course for the teenage daughters in their bedrooms.

hashkey

Novice Member
Considering these M20s seem basically to be powered 3020is, I wonder if we'll see an M30 at some stage..

gindy

I’ve used their daddy’s the BT3 for several years without issue, sounds like I have a upgrade path & move the BT3’s into the office!

I wonder how good they would sound added by a small decent sealed sub.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
I’ve used their daddy’s the BT3 for several years without issue, sounds like I have a upgrade path & move the BT3’s into the office!

We had a HT/1003 and a T/Zero MK III hooked up for a customer the other day.

Unsurprisingly brilliant. They were better balanced in the customers living room with the T/Zero it has to be said - it’s seemingly provided them with more overhead to push a little more if required as the bass which was running out at higher volumes had the extra energy it needed.

Haven’t tried it with the Q Acoustics subs - but think the T/Zero is fabulously aligned.

Cheshire Cat

Will these provide a noticeable step up in sound quality compared with two paired Sonos speakers, which come in at roughly the same price? Especially as streaming to these and Sonos is lossy.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Will these provide a noticeable step up in sound quality compared with two paired Sonos speakers, which come in at roughly the same price? Especially as streaming to these and Sonos is lossy.

I’d say so.

I’ve always found the Sonos to be thick sounding with very little in the way of separation, and certainly little if any left/right imaging.

I’d expect the QAs to be an appreciable improvement.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

Adding say, a BK Gemini would certainly increase the mass of the sound, or a small Rel as Yorkshire AV says.

The BK is very good and a healthy few quid less.

Also, I have to say, these look much more modern and simply better looking that the rather staid BT3.

I wish I had a reason to buy a pair.

gava

stevevosper

Standard Member
Great review! Received mine a couple of days ago (from Yorkshire AV actually, hi guys!) and I love them, sound so good with music and watching TV/movies, I'm so happy. Only thing that I cannot work out is how to send the optical signal from my Panny GZ950 to them. I'm very confused haha feel I've tried all options (I think!). I send from Bluetooth from the tv to the speakers as a work around, works well, but would prefer optical.

stevevosper

Standard Member
I’d say so.

I’ve always found the Sonos to be thick sounding with very little in the way of separation, and certainly little if any left/right imaging.

I’d expect the QAs to be an appreciable improvement.
I have both, it's night and day difference to me at least. Especially when you consider the price of 2 sonos paired is similar to the price of the M20.

Ruffuz

Great review! Received mine a couple of days ago (from Yorkshire AV actually, hi guys!) and I love them, sound so good with music and watching TV/movies, I'm so happy. Only thing that I cannot work out is how to send the optical signal from my Panny GZ950 to them. I'm very confused haha feel I've tried all options (I think!). I send from Bluetooth from the tv to the speakers as a work around, works well, but would prefer optical.

Check the sound output format on your TV once you change it to optical.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I have both, it's night and day difference to me at least. Especially when you consider the price of 2 sonos paired is similar to the price of the M20.

Makes sense to me. My brother has a house full of various size Sonos things, including the long thing that sits beneath a tv.

They are fine for background music, but serious listening is a chore to my ears at least.

Make sure your tv is outputting PCM from the optical that should do it. Unless the optical is switch off-able on the tv?

I’ve not seen that before but I’m sure some TVs do it.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
If HDMI ARC is enabled, the optical output is disabled I think on the Panasonic.
As others have said - ensure the output is set to Optical, PCM (stereo) if selectable :)

Just set them up here on the Samsung Q90A and the above worked.

nonsoloinglese

Although slightly longer in the tooth, I see these competing with the Ruark MR1 mk2 and therefore interested in knowing if anyone has compared them?

@Ed Selley how do you think they would stack up?

Ruffuz

Although slightly longer in the tooth, I see these competing with the Ruark MR1 mk2 and therefore interested in knowing if anyone has compared them?

These are much bigger, with 5" vs 3" woofer on Ruark.
Add to it a USB input and QA win easily, as long as you have enough space for them.

gava

Not even close. The only possible reason to choose the Ruark is if you are very space limited - or listening nearfield on a desktop perhaps. For sound quality and the ability to fill a larger space - no contest: M20 wins by a mile.

roobarb63

Novice Member
I've had a pair of these a couple of weeks now and have to say they are pretty good for the money. I had some Ruark MR's but these are so much better in every way. I was going for the KEF LSX but these are over half the price and left money over to buy a sub and some stands. The remote is nice too much better than anything KEF provide. They should take a look at this and make note. I especially like the separate buttons for each input and the ergonomic shape.
I do wish however, that people would stop calling these desktop speakers as they really aren't unless you have a humongous desk. Would be nice to see some different finishes like walnut or gloss black and a better choice of stands with the ability to hide the many wires. The addition of an HDMI port would be the icing on the cake but can manage ok with the other inputs for now, as they sound great with a TV
Overall I'm very pleased with them and I do think they benefit from a sub like the QA 3060s

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play racks up 10 million users
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PROMOTED: Which OLED is King? 2021 Shootout at Abbey Road Studios
  • By Promoted Content Poster
  • Published
Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS