Q Acoustics Concept 40 Speakers Review

johnjay

Hi steve,

Is there any reason why you still use the Oppo93 instead of the 103 in your reviews, or does it just make no difference regarding streaming?

Thanks, good review.

password1

are the dimensions in the review correct? only 170mm deep?

anyone compared these to any monitor audio speakers.. i have the £399 monitor 200 in my second system and had the £900 gold gr10s.

my arcam alpha 9r amps sounded amazing with my golds. would my arcam amps which are warm and detailed be a good match for the qa concepts?

what amps are other concepr 40 owners using and are the warm or bright?

many thanks

Last edited:

WozzaB

are the dimensions in the review correct? only 170mm deep?

anyone compared these to any monitor audio speakers.. i have the £399 monitor 200 in my second system and had the £900 gold gr10s.

my arcam alpha 9r amps sounded amazing with my golds. would my arcam amps which are warm and detailed be a good match for the qa concepts?

what amps are other concepr 40 owners using and are the warm or bright?

many thanks
I was looking at these before, the width and depth are mixed up here, it's even wrong on the Q website, but the RS website has it correct and should be:

Speaker Dimensions (mm) W 170 x D 288 x H 972

password1

im taking the plunge..ive heard the concept 20s which are a little bass light. so im hoping the 40s would solve the problem.

these can be bought for £699 new in a choice of gloss black or white or £499 b grade white only though. seems a bargain as they were originally £999 and i can't find any bad user or non what hifi reviews.

hopefully these will be an upgrade or at least a sidegrade to my old monitor audio gold reference which were slightly cheaper when new.

password1

At first I was a little disappointed, i was used to the c cam tweeters and rst drivers in my old monitor audio gold standmounts but im now using a brighter sounding Cambridge audio azur amp to complement the softer sounding drivers on the q acoustics.

they are excellent, great vocals, very clear and dont hurt your ears on long listening sessions..overall they're a slight downgrade to my old speakera but thats not a fair caparison as my old speakers were a lot more expensive when new.

they are slightly bass heavy for my liking so i have to position them quite a bit further way from the wall than my old speakers which were rated down to 40hz. the figures on paper dont reflect how heavy and deep the bass sounds.

They sound good with decent budget amps .unlike monitor audio speakers where the silver and gold range sound better with better amps.

Last edited:

rednotdead

Thanks - sound very similar to my Castle's which I've had for over 20 years , I've yet to find something to better them but I noticed the tweeters are starting to degrade a little so that's an excuse for new gear! They'll be on the end of some naim kit so my only worry is the synergy between them. Just need to wait for the dealers to open up and try and get a demo.

password1

If the naim kit have plenty of attack and not too smooth or even slightly clinical i think they'll be a good match.

I cant think of another floorstanding speaker that has better build quality for less. The 9 lacquers is super smooth and shiny.

Attachments

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom