Q acoustics - build up 5.1 setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Andeh, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Andeh

Andeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I proudly own a pair of Q Acoustic 1050i and id like to start thinking of upgrading my system to a full 5.1 setup.

How should i proceed in building it up, as in what order of speakers should i buy? Should i start off with a centre speaker then bookshelf speakers then sub? Or can you advise me of a better way of proceeding?

I will be buying the the 'i' (improved) kit, so the 1020i bookshelf, 1000c centre speaker and the 1000si subwoofer.

These will all be connected to a Sony STR-DG820.

Thanks in advance guys :)

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
  3. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Have you seen the dedicated rears?

If you have around £200 for the sub, have a look at the very popular BK Gemini II, it will wipe the floor with the Q acoustic and it's available in different finishes.

4. russyj

russyj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi,

How are the 1050i's? Thinking of getting some myself (they look pwurdy).

I'd recommend doing the sub, rears, then centre. You'd be amazed what a difference a good sub makes even with bass-y speakers, and they're brilliant for movies.

Regards, Russell

5. Andeh

Andeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I love them to bits, driven hard they sound like nothing on earth! It was the look that sold me aswell, in cherry its hard to find better looking speakers for the price imo! it was a massive purchase (im only a student hooking them up to a PC - bought them for future proof) but they are real crowd pleasers at parties! :D

Those rear wall hanging speakers look nice, its a shame they dont do them in a colour combo to match the cherry speakers iv got.

Would the 1050i & a sub be too much bass though? As for a sub from a different brand, im guessing there wouldnt be any problems with mixing & matching the brands? (iv heard people say its better to stick to one brand to make sure they all work together)

thanks again guys :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    As said, even decent bassy speakers will benefit from a sub.
    Small drivers are not made for real sub stuff and there are benefits to be had for your amp, because it won't be struggling to reproduce stuff the speakers can't manage.

You can feel free to mix and match with subs, as there is no tonal matching to be had :smashin:

Whatever, it wants to be 10" minimum ;)

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    No doubt you will eventually want a sub, but I'm inclined to say go with a center followed by rears, then end with a sub.

Now I confess, my first instinct was to say, get a sub. But once I found you had 1050i's and an AV amp, that changed.

Still, I don't think there is a hard and fast rule for this. It hinges more on your priorities. For example, nothing wrong with getting surrounds first, then you do have a true surround effect. Next add a sub, because you can frequently get a 'phantom' center setting, that works fine. Then finally, if you decide you need one, get the center.

So, you've had just about every combination of upgrade mentioned, and they are all correct. It is just a matter of your priorities, as I said.

If music is more important, I might say, get a sub first.

If general listening is more important, then maybe a center.

If video listening or gaming is more important, then maybe get the rear surround speakers first.

Also, keep in mind that a pair of rear surrounds is going to be dirt cheap. The sub is going to be the most expensive. So financial priorities as well as listening priorities come into play too.

Really, I don't think there is a wrong way.

Steve/bluewizard

8. Andeh

Andeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Many thanks guys, your advice is hugely appreciated! :)

I like the idea of getting the rears first, then work out sub vs centre a bit later on.

9. russyj

russyj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Went for a bit of a look-see yesterday, ended up listening to a few speakers (and my wallet a lot emptier). Heard the 1050i's, they do sound brilliant, and look nice, but very bass heavy. Ended up with a pair of IQ5's, because I didnt quite realise the size of the 1050i's! Having listened to them though, unless you're into your hip-hop/d&b/dubstep, I could see why you'd think you can live without a sub, but to be honest the difference will still be serious, especially for movies and gaming...

Regards, Russ