Q Acoustics 7000i Subwoofer advice - newbie help!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by WillSwan, Jun 10, 2015.

1. WillSwan

WillSwan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Firstly, I am new to the forum, and this is my first post - so hello! Hopefully you can help with your experiences/advice - and to clarify although really enjoy quality cinema surround sound, I am not an expert in sub placement, crossover set ups and so on, I am a novice basically!

My question is about subwoofer advice.... i'll start with my set up:

* Denon AVR X2000 Amp

* Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 system

* Good quality Cambridge Audio wiring - so I was advised. And good quality 3D 4k compatible HDMI cables etc.

* Media - Sky HD and Xbox One (gaming and BluRay)

System was purchased from Richer Sounds (not the HDMIs) a while back, summer last year.

I am not sure on your thoughts on the Q Acoustics 7000i system (?) but I am really impressed with it, imo brilliant quality, crystal clear, no issues with it at all.

However - while I think the subwoofer is good, part of me feels it lacks a certain punch (i know i wont recreate a cinema bass experience, but a bit more 'cinema like' would be nice) and it sounds like it struggles a bit with some bass frequencies, and I am wondering if this is because it is just an 8" sub?? Would anyone have any thoughts on this?

If i were to sell the sub and buy a larger sub - 10" or 12" (ideally for £600 budget) would this make a difference - in your opinions? And would there be any compatibility issues with pairing the sub with the Q7000i speakers? Would anyone have any recommendations?

The sub is sitting on a solid hard wood flooring in the ground floor lounge, direct to joists, it is on spikes but sitting in individual feet - basically so it doesnt ruin the floor. I have tried all different types of crossovers and volumes and bass levels using the sub itself and the amp settings, and what I have now is the best I can get it to.

Wondered your thoughts really!? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks.

Will

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
  3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    I'd agree that sub is possibly on the small side, you say you've tried all the settings, you don't mention the one thing that IMO can have the biggest effect which is position in the room. One trick I've heard of to help with this is to put the sub where you'd normally sit and then crawl around the room listening for where it sounds best, put your sub here and try again.

Getting the positioning and settings right could help get the most from your existing sub but I wouldn't argue with an upgrade and would also suggest a BK Electronics sub.

4. WillSwan

WillSwan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both, much appreciated and thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely look in to them.

Joe - my room is rectangular, approx 7m x 3.5 so long and thin, with the tv and surround sound along the thinner side (due to doors in and out).

Would anyone have any experience with wireless subs? Would this be compatible with a Q7000i system? I see Velodyne do one, but not sure where I can get UK Velodyne subs?

Thanks for any help.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    Keep in mind 'wireless' is only the interconnect between the Amp and the Sub - you still require a power cord!

Buzz me re Velodyne - we can supply or put you in touch with a local dealer.

Joe

6. porscheman

porscheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Have you got your speakers set to small or large. Set all main, centre and surround speakers to small if you have a sub. :thumbsup: