Q acoustics 7000i 5.1 slim upgrade to Atmos Qs

ScottC25

FFF8514D-66E3-41E2-B80D-6443E76C12E2.jpeg

Hi all,

Photo above is front speaker positioning as it stands.

Rears are in the back corners of the room, up high, angled to fire downwards towards the listening position.

Compromised slightly as this is our main living room and SWMBO is not a fan of all the hi tech stuff and would gladly still watch a 14” portable.

When I bought the speaker package, it came as 7.1 as the 2 extra speakers were thrown in for free.

Ceidling mounting is a complete no go, unless I want the expense of a divorce!!

Could the 2 extra speakers be positioned on the cabinets in front of the TV and angled to the ceiling to create the Atmos effect, or does it really need specific Atmos speakers.

New venture towards the future for me, as I’ve been quite happy with 5.1 up to now So don’t really know too much about it. I’m thinking they could be placed below the front right and left, but pointed up at the ceiling to create the Atmos effect?

Would this work, or are there issues with this approach that I’m not getting?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

markb1980

View attachment 1518098
Hi all,

Photo above is front speaker positioning as it stands.

Rears are in the back corners of the room, up high, angled to fire downwards towards the listening position.

Compromised slightly as this is our main living room and SWMBO is not a fan of all the hi tech stuff and would gladly still watch a 14” portable.

When I bought the speaker package, it came as 7.1 as the 2 extra speakers were thrown in for free.

Ceidling mounting is a complete no go, unless I want the expense of a divorce!!

Could the 2 extra speakers be positioned on the cabinets in front of the TV and angled to the ceiling to create the Atmos effect, or does it really need specific Atmos speakers.

New venture towards the future for me, as I’ve been quite happy with 5.1 up to now So don’t really know too much about it. I’m thinking they could be placed below the front right and left, but pointed up at the ceiling to create the Atmos effect?

Would this work, or are there issues with this approach that I’m not getting?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

I am no expert but I would say no they wouldn’t work as up-firing as they are not Atmos enabled speakers. The only option that could work is if you mounted them high up near the ceiling on the wall in line with your front left and right and angled them slightly down towards your MLP and select the amp assign as front heights. Although you have said your surrounds are mounted up high behind you so this would probably drown out the Atmos effects and these ideally would need to be lower and closer to ear level when seated.

ScottC25

I am no expert but I would say no they wouldn’t work as up-firing as they are not Atmos enabled speakers. The only option that could work is if you mounted them high up near the ceiling on the wall in line with your front left and right and angled them slightly down towards your MLP and select the amp assign as front heights. Although you have said your surrounds are mounted up high behind you so this would probably drown out the Atmos effects and these ideally would need to be lower and closer to ear level when seated.
Thanks for that, this was more or less exactly what I was wondering, although you have explained it better than I did.

I could potentially buy some upward firing Atmos speakers but not sure that would fly with the boss lady.

Rears used to be on stands at ear level, but for "cleaner" floor space, she wanted rid of them and had to compromise by putting them up higher on the wall angled down the way towards the listening position.

markb1980

Thanks for that, this was more or less exactly what I was wondering, although you have explained it better than I did.

I could potentially buy some upward firing Atmos speakers but not sure that would fly with the boss lady.

Rears used to be on stands at ear level, but for "cleaner" floor space, she wanted rid of them and had to compromise by putting them up higher on the wall angled down the way towards the listening position.

Need to keep them happy 😆 would she let you mount them the same as you have the rears but at the front of the room? Even if it drowns some of the effects out it will still enhance your front stage slightly?

Jester1066

If your really want to use the extra pair, you could mount them (as @markb1980 suggests), but horizontally (as close to the ceiling as possible). This will give greater separation between the front L&R speakers.

Another option (if it passes SWMBO), would be to mount the bracket on the ceiling itself and angle the speaker so it fired down towards your MLP.

Edit: I'd also consider dropping the height of your rears, so they match the level your front L&R are. Surely, if SWMBO accepts the front L&R at their current height, the rears (in my mind) being at the same height, shouldn't be objected to. It'll also make for a much better listening experience, not to mention look (imo) more aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited:

ScottC25

Thanks guys, Problem is now, that cables have been ran from the rear position to the other end of the room for the rears, flat cable, glued to door facings and skirting boards etc.

Theres a door in one corner of the room, so the rear is just above that, bringing it down to ear level means there's no real way of hiding cable short of cutting the walls open again, which would mean redecorating, which I'd rather not have to do.

I think I will just settle for 5.1 until such time as the room gets decorated again.

Jester1066

Thanks guys, Problem is now, that cables have been ran from the rear position to the other end of the room for the rears, flat cable, glued to door facings and skirting boards etc.

Theres a door in one corner of the room, so the rear is just above that, bringing it down to ear level means there's no real way of hiding cable short of cutting the walls open again, which would mean redecorating, which I'd rather not have to do.

I think I will just settle for 5.1 until such time as the room gets decorated again.
I live in rented accommodation and use this D-line mini trunking to run my speaker wires in. It can be keyed with sandpaper then painted to match the wall etc:

Great stuff 🙂

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom