Q Acoustics 3070s sub problem

Hi Alex30,
Firstly, thank you for choosing Q Acoustics!

Regarding 'low output' from a subwoofer: that is almost certainly down to the configuration of your home cinema amplifier. Simply increasing the subwoofer output level from the amp should solve this.

When we set up a demonstration, we always prefer to configure amplifiers manually, rather than use the automatic settings.

Best regards

Q Acoustics

Hi Q Acoustics,
Thanks for your input here.
I am not using a home cinema amp but a standard stereo amp which has a pre amp/active subwoofer out.(Cambridge Azur 640A Mark 2 which is a 75W per channel amp) I have connected this to the sub from it's right and left pre amp/subwoofer outlets to the subs right and left in using a double screened 2 RCA to 2 RCA Fisual Pro Install Series Phono/RCA Cable.
Unfortunately with the sub set at half volume the volume is extremely low and regardless of volume never sounds "clean" but muffled and muddy. I imagined that at half volume the sub would give out reasonable sound with bassy music.
I bought the sub to complement my excellent Concept 20s and obviously don't want their clarity and detail compromised in any way.
I suppose that I am looking for further reassurance that all will be sorted out.
Regards Alex.

Hi Alex,

We confess we're a bit baffled. Before we try anything else, please can we ask you to re-check that you've connected your cable at the subwoofer into the left and right inputs (and not connected one of the phono plugs into 'output' socket by accident).

best regards

Hi,
Now you have got me baffled because the 3070 doesn't have an output socket. There are the right and left inputs which I have used. (see attached image from the user manual)
It's not that I don't get any sound but I have to crank it up past what I would have expected.
As stated earlier I am awaiting word on a replacement and so can I ask that before that is sent out to me that it is tested to ensure that it is functioning properly with regard to sound quality and quantity ?

Attachments

• 3070 connections.PNG
    3070 connections.PNG
    218.3 KB · Views: 569
Hi Q Acoustics ,
Your reply of "5" has me even more baffled than asking me to check that I haven't connected to an outlet on the sub that doesn't exist.
I do await your reply to my last post.
Best Regards, Alex.

Hello Alex,

Well that's embarrassing. Please accept my apologies. Our cinema room is rather dark and I mistakenly shone my phone at the connection panel of a Q2070Si (rather than the Q3070).

My original question was because the 'low volume' you describe is almost always associated with AV amplifier configuration. You might have get the result you're experiencing, if the subwoofer was incorrectly wired. This is clearly not the case in your system - but easily done in a darkened room (see above :))

If a replacement unit has been arranged for you, may I ask which dealer it is coming from?

Best regards

Q Acoustics

Hi,
The unit was supplied by Exceptional AV (online).
Alex Munro passed the details on to your Service Admin and Tech Support Department and I am waiting for them to tell me when a unit has arrived in the country. Alex also said they would be talking me through the installation. Presumably to ensure I don't get the Ins and Outs mixed up. (lol)
If I were you I should just go to the pub after work and you'll soon forget your slight error !
All the best, Alex.

I thought it was worth me jumping on to this thread to reassure everyone that's thinking about purchasing the 3070s subwoofer.

I bought one as part of the 5.1 pack. I received it on 22nd October, but had to wait for my amp to arrive before I was able to setup. This happened on 28th October, and discovered pretty quickly that my subwoofer had the auto on issue where it would make a loud and scary popping noise during movies. I contacted Q Acoustics directly about it (via Alex Munro) on 30th October, and they got back to me immediately to say that they would replace my unit with one of the new ones with the issue resolved.
They did a collect/drop for the replacement unit on Wednesday 4th November, and I'm now in possession of a new unit which has completely resolved the issue and sounds fantastic.
It seems that some people have had to wait quite a while for a fixed version of the sub to become available, but it looks like Q Acoustics are doing all they can to resolve this issue now that they have units in stock with the issues fixed.

So, it's a great-sounding sub, and if you're worried about buying one because it might be faulty, then it looks like Q Acoustics will sort you out if you run into any issues.

Hi Merlinthemog

We're very pleased to learn that you are now happy with your 3000 5.1 package and that it "Sounds Fantastic".

Thanks for letting the forum know that everything's now fixed. It's greatly appreciated.

best regards

Hi all

I've just bought the 3010 5.1 speaker package and am having similar issues with my 3070s. It does not auto switch on, meaning I have to keep it permanently switched on, and even when it's turned on the sound coming out of the sub is incredibly quiet (with the the volume selector on the back turned to full) and the sound itself is muffled.

I figured something wasn't right so I hit the forums and 10 seconds of Googling found me this thread.

I sent an email to Alex Munro at 12:04 today and he responded within a couple of hours confirming that he's passed my details to his Service team, so I guess I'll wait to hear from them. Can't fault the response times so far, but will keep this thread updated with progress.

Cheers

That's positive news although proof that there are still quite a few of the previous stock out and about. It's going to be an expensive end to the year for QA.

Hello Curlo and SMJohns,

Firstly, our sincere apologies to you and everyone else who has been disappointed/inconvenienced by this problem. Please be assured we will sort it out asap and you will then have a subwoofer/speaker package that delivers a sound quality that will delight you for many years to come.

Which is of course what you should have got the first time around - apologies again.

Best regards

Hello Curlo

It does occur to us that 'not auto switching on' may be a too low subwoofer signal from the amp. Whilst waiting for our customer support team to respond, you might try turning the sub's volume control (not the crossover setting, which should be full up) down to around '10 o'clock' and whacking up the sub level from the amp, via the set-up menu.

Best regards

Hello Curlo

It does occur to us that 'not auto switching on' may be a too low subwoofer signal from the amp. Whilst waiting for our customer support team to respond, you might try turning the sub's volume control (not the crossover setting, which should be full up) down to around '10 o'clock' and whacking up the sub level from the amp, via the set-up menu.

Best regards
Hi there and thanks for the post.

I had previously tried numerous settings/permutations to try and see if that had any effect, but I couldn't get it to auto-on. That said, I've just tried again using your recommended settings but I'm afraid that the issue still persists - it just won't switch out of sleep mode. So that you know, I also get the same problem with the auto-off function...I came downstairs this morning and saw the tell-tale green light on the back of the sub, which tells me that it's not switching itself off properly either.

I've now heard from the store where I bought the package (they had been contacted by your colleagues following my email to Alex) and the store has arranged for the faulty sub to be collected and a new one dropped off on Wednesday of next week. Fingers crossed that the new one is ok when it arrives - I'll come back to let you know how I get on.

Best wishes

Update: the new sub was dropped off today and the old one taken away. The replacement is so much better than the first one. The sub comes out of standby when it's supposed to and the volume levels are where I'd expect them to be. However...there is clearly an issue with the top-most driver as there is a prominent 'rattle' coming from the driver whenever it fires, so this sub is going to have to go back too... Have emailed the Q Acoustics Support Manager this evening, so will await a response tomorrow.

Patience and confidence levels being tested...

Update: so following my above post on Wednesday night I spoke with the Service team on Thursday morning who confirmed that a 3070s was on their bench being tested and that it would be sent out to me that day. Later that day I also received a follow up email apologising for the inconvenience and confirming that a gift had been added to the delivery by way of saying sorry. I had the replacement sub with me by 10:30am on Friday and all seems well with this unit. None of the issues that I had experienced with the previous 2 units are present with the new unit, and I finally have the system that I was after. The bass isn't overpowering and the low notes are much better controlled and integrated into the soundstage when compared to my previous setup. I have it hooked up to a newly acquired Onkyo and, despite having run into issues with the previous 2 subs, I'm now happy with the speaker setup that I have. Moreover, I can't recommend Q Acoustics' customer support enough. @Q Acoustics thank you to you and your colleagues for rectifying the issues and for the kind gift.

@alex30 : thanks for the information in the above post. It sounds like you're very happy with your SVS unit, and from a quick look at their website I can see why their product might be a good one. I may in the future be in the market for sub to fit into a music system which I have elsewhere in the house, so I will bear your comments in mind when the appropriate time comes.

Best wishes all.

Hi Curio,
Great to hear that you are now sorted. Like you I can't fault Q Acoustics customer service and will always return to them to buy. Hassle free service is very important.
Enjoy your listening !
Regards Alex.

Hi everyone!

Thought I'd chip in with some experience I've had recently with Q Acoustics products recently, or more specifically their subwoofers.

I purchased a 7070si from them last week, after the poster on this thread recommend it over the 3070s - I have a 3000 (5.1) setup minus a sub atm, I'd been saving up to complete it for Christmas, so was very excited to finally have a full setup. But that wasn't to be... unfortunately the 7070si was faulty, it emitted a buzzing sound combined with a strange fluttering. Q Acoustics were polite and helpful, I spoke to their technical department but couldn't find a fix. I was offered to have the unit repaired or a refund. Needless to say I wasn't going to pay full price for a repaired unit, so I got a refund.

To cut a long story short, I was unable to get a replacement 7070si and decided to go for a 3070s after all, I assumed any of the issues you guys had experienced would have been ironed out by now... How wrong I was!

I purchased the sub through RicherSounds online and received it today, guess what? It pops when it comes on in autostandby mode and when it goes off too. It also crackles as well! Yes I've tried adjusting the crossover and lowering the volume even, but it's still there!

This is the 2nd sub I have purchased by Q Acoustics within one week and both have been faulty. Reading this thread it just angers me that these issues are still present. Is there a plan to recall the effected stock, or are people supposed to just gamble their hard earned cash on a sub lottery? For a company with such glowing reviews I find it alarming that this kind of product control is going on.

The 3010 speakers I have are awesome! The 3090 is also great! But the situation with the 3070s is just not good enough, I say again NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I will be getting a replacement for this sub, yes another 3070 (call me mad). But mark my words, I will not be as polite next time if this unit turns out to have the same faults.

Merry Christmas everyone, fingers crossed I manage to get a nice working sub in time for Christmas.

Hello Geee

This is dreadful news and we apologise unreservedly.

Please email our colleague Alex Munro [email protected] informing him of your name, address and finish of your faulty 3070S and we'll do all we can to ensure this situation is rectified before Christmas. Time is very tight so, if you get this message, please email him tonight or first thing in the morning.

Best regards

Hey guys,

Well I'm kinda glad I found this thread - I purchased the Q Acoustics 5.1 kit earlier this year and had the pop from the 3070s sub turning off as you all did, so I eventually stuck it in always on mode. But I've always had a weird hum - now this I assumed was from a ground loop and being a home theatre noob I have only just today tried to rectify this - I even took the sub to a different part of the house and plugged it in to a main socket and I still get the hum, without it being connected to anything else. From reading this thread I now realise that the sound is muddy and the sub is quite ineffectual. Sounds like I've had the same problems you have all had.

Now I purchased this from Richer Sounds - should I get in touch with them, or should I contact Q Acoustics as you all have on this thread direct? Not sure which would get me the best results with a view to a replacement...

My advice would be to get in touch with Q Acoustics as per the thread.
What you want to avoid is getting a second faulty sub and as it seems there are still some out there with dealers then that could happen.
If you go direct to Q they will ensure that you receive one of the new batch.
Good Luck.

Thanks Alex, that's a good point. I'll get in touch with the email link posted on this thread.

I'll keep all updated!

Hi ncavin,
That would be your safest bet.
I will be interested to hear how you get on with the new one.
Hope all goes well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom