Q Acoustics 3070s sub problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by PHB1969, May 1, 2015.

1. PHB1969

PHB1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    i have a Yamaha RVX777 which is about 3 months old. I bought the Q Acoustics 3000 cinema pack and due to them being new to market, the speakers were shipped then the sub. I set the system up with my old MS308 and everything was great.

The new 3070s arrived and I set it up and was really disappointed. The bass seemed quiet and really quite pathetic. I had set the volume to half and set the crossover to AV as per setup instructions. I then noticed a crackling noise (see video)
    Q3070s crackle pt2

The sub went back and I have waited c 5 weeks for a replacement which arrived today. The sub performs exactly the same, I have adjusted the amp settings so it isn't as wimpy as before but the crackle is still there albeit it is almost a little squelchy now rather than crackly.

The supplier (conceptAV) has been great with the first swap and supportive today, they will get Q Acoustics tech support on it, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions on what else I could try or have come across this with either the 1000, 2000 or 3000 series subs. Is this perhaps an issue with having 2 bass cones rather than a single one?

My MS308 works 100% into them same amp it's the same lead.....thanks Paul

NB there is also a second video where the system volume is higher.

2. Mr B 85

Mr B 85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can't comment on the crackling, but when I went to audition the 3000 series kit, everything except the Sub I was impressed with. The Sub was like you say... A bit pathetic! We swapped it over to the 7070si (the one that comes with the 7000i), which looks better for a start and immediately it was like someone had turned the bass button on.

Me and the guy in richersounds thought it was either not configured right or needed a good running in, but might be worth testing in shop and give the 7070si a go.

3. PHB1969

PHB1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi, thanks for that. I have asked the supplier if they will swap it out (through Q Acoustics) for the 7070si. I originally ordered the full setup on 3rd March so I've had 2 lemons. This is the replacement one:

Q Acoustics 3070s squelchy noise

The filming is very poor on this - sorry

Cheers

4. Mr B 85

Mr B 85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow, that doesn't sound healthy at all! I never got to hear the older 2070si subwoofer from the 2000i series, however when I was originally looking to upgrade, I went into the shop to take a look and they had it on the shelves and it was the shape of it that was my initial issue with it haha.

The 3000 then came out and I went in to have a listen this time and compared it to the 7000i as it was more 'wife friendly' looking and like I say it was like the subwoofer was off! The speakers sounded nicer than the 7000i unfortunately for the wife, but in our test when we played a scene from battleship with the 7000i, the rumble hit and it was suddenly apparent to us both that the sub before hand seemed non existent. so I asked him to keep that sub in, plug the 3010's back in and play it again and it was that combo that we liked the best. It's a much easier sub to place in a room as well with it's size and shape, only slight downside was it is black and the speakers are graphite, but it's small thing!

Just FYI, the amp they chose to use in the demo room was a Denon.

Also, if you look at the specs, the 3070 sub goes to 50Hz, where as the other goes to a lower 35 - still would expect to hear more than I did so would be interesting to hear what someone with the older 2070si can comment.

Hope you get it all sorted though bud, and if they do swap for the 7070si, I hope it's much better for you after I've praised it so much haha :)

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. Mr B 85

Mr B 85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How did you get on?

6. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Interesting thread and I have just taken receipt of the same 5.1 speaker pack and have had the same issues with the 3070 sub. Again I followed the instructions and turned the crossover to AV and experiences the same crackling during and after the Denon amp set up. I checked what crossover the amp suggested and it had set this to 60. I then turned the Sub crossover down to 60 to match the AMP and the crackling has completely gone.

My remaining issue is with the Amp coming in and out of standby mode. It comes out of standby with a very loud click but worse still when it enters standby mode it issues a really loud pop / thud. It pretty much always makes me jump as you never know when it will do it.

I have emailed QAcoustics and wait for their advice but wondered if any other 3070 owner had this issue?

7. Mr B 85

Mr B 85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As above, I never got the 3070, but got the 7070s as the demo one sounded really good, bu the problem was that there was an issue with the batch with a high pitched humm (which QA never mentioned when I emailed them, but Richersounds told me after about 2 weeks of me trying to fix it myself), so I took it back and swapped for a REL T5 Sub and honestly sounds a lot better. Speakers are spot on though!

8. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have not heard back fro QA but my dealer has arranged for the 3070 to be swapped for a new one. I'm hoping this is not a faulty batch or worse still a design issue as it can't be a coincidence that I am experiencing almost identical issues here. I keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow and will update the thread.

9. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well the second 3070s arrived and it had no crackles as reported above and sounded much better than the original so if you ever experience similar issues then it is definitely a fault with the unit. Unfortunately the pop when entering standby was still present. My dealer has been great and ordered a third but this had the same issue too. They contacted Q Acoustics who confirmed they were investigating a batch of units with this problem. Luckily they had one that they had been testing that didn't have the issue and are sending this, which I should get early next week. Hope this unit is definitely not experiencing the issue and that it won't develop in general use.

10. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Right well the third 3070s arrived yesterday and amazingly the loud pop when the unit enters standby mode is no longer there!!

Now I should be happy about this but this new sub now issues a lesser pop when it exits standby mode (i.e. switches on). It also issues an electrical buzzing sound when the level is set around the medium and higher. Turning the level down slightly resolves that issue (not the power on pop) but it just makes me think that the electronics in this sub model are pretty flaky.

This is something I am really disappointed by as I didn't expect this from Q Acoustics that get glowing reviews all the time. I am going to give it a proper test over the weekend to see if it gets any better or I am willing to put up with this but if not then my only option is to go for another brand sub.

Any suggestions? I want the same type of performance (without the electrical issues) but not a massively large box in the corner of the room (30-35cm square).

11. sobersiddhi

sobersiddhi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Doh...sounds like you have had similar problems to me then. My current sub is only issuing a pop when powering up from standby mode and no longer issuing a pop when entering standby. This makes me think there is definitely a problem with the components they are fitting to their subs. Although I was hearing from QAcoustics directly they are no longer replying now. My AV retailer is getting similar response from them....I am starting to think that I am going to have to go for a different sub. My current front runner is the Tannoy TS2.10, which is a similar price to the QA but of a standard square design so won't really match...doh.

13. sobersiddhi

sobersiddhi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a shame. Yeah I've dealt with Q directly and they've been nice enough but while they are quick to tell me about their glowing reviews I've not gotten any straight answers out of them.

Think I will get in touch with them directly again today. Will let you know how I get on.

14. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Does the sub have a trigger to turn it on rather than relying on audio sense which is the pop. Usually audible anything from the sub chirping in to a thud depending on the product.

15. sobersiddhi

sobersiddhi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has "Always-On" or "Auto-On". When it kicks in via Auto-on, it's quite a loud "unhealthy" sound. Surely cannot be by design or the Auto-on feature is essentially useless. You can hear it power down from the next room, so you can imagine what it's like when watching a movie.

16. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Ah it's a shame it doesn't have a 12v trigger which boots the amp seemingly silently. The thud or pop is caused by the power circuitry latching on the amp. The audio input detects a voltage and triggers the amp. This usually has some sound, sometimes very unpalatable, other times barely noticeable. Depends upon the amp. I've had good success with velodyne, REL, monitor audio and my acoustics subs if you decide to move away from the q's

17. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I would accept this explanation if it only affected the sub when coming out of standby mode, which incidentally my most recent example is now suffering. But the previous 3 examples (2 that were sent to me and one tested by my AV supplier) only issued the loud pop when entering auto standby mode and made no noise when leaving standby. This inconsistency makes me think there is some technical / design issue with their electronics. Unfortunately Q Acoustics are no longer replying to my email correspondence and are not really speaking to the AV supplier any more either. Such a shame as I had the highest respect for this company up to now.....(why are AV companies rubbish at customer service? Arcam were just as bad...grrr).

Anyways, my AV supplier is not happy with them and are looking for a substitute for me. My current thoughts are the Tannoy TS2.10 or the Mission MS-300. The Tannoy gets a fairly good write up but is quite big but I cannot find any review of the MS-300.

18. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Ah my misunderstanding, I thought it was only happening upon exit of standby. Not a good situation all round really. I would take a look at REL, Velodyne, SVS, MJ Acoustics, TruAudio and possibly BK subs

19. sobersiddhi

sobersiddhi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slight aside, when I first spoke to Q Acoustics at the start of June, I mentioned to them that the dimensions for the 3070s are incorrect on the website. Depth is listed as 425mm but the unit is at the very least 500mm deep.

Their Brand Director informed me they would fix the oversight in the morning. It's now September and it still hasn't been fixed. This company does not inspire confidence in me at all.

20. Steve Reichert

Steve Reichert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

Hello SMJohns,

I've just picked up this thread and I'm very sorry to learn of the problems you're experiencing with a 3070 subwoofer. Please accept my sincere apologies for the obvious disappointment and inconvenience this must have caused.

We want everyone who purchases Q Acoustics products to be absolutely delighted with their investment. Unfortunately, in this case, we've clearly let you down and again I apologise.

So here's an absolute promise: if you'll be kind enough to bare with us, we will sort this out and make sure you've got a speaker system we can both be proud of.

Please email my colleague Alex Munro [email protected] informing him of the relevant details.

Best regards

Steve Reichert

21. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Steve. Thanks for jumping on this thread. I will email Alex now.

22. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Nice to see that it looks like you will have a good outcome. :)

23. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I will keep this thread posted.

24. sobersiddhi

sobersiddhi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks smjohns. Incidentally I reached out to Q in the first week of June and was put in touch with Alex Munro, however I am still in the same boat with a problematic sub after repair, replacement etc.

After a couple months of emails, phone calls, promises of new shipments etc. I was told I had to organise repair/replacement through my dealer (returning it at my own time/expense). The issue has still not been resolved and my dealer is still being mucked around in a similar fashion to yours.

There have clearly been some manufacturing issues and understandably they want to keep this under the radar, but appreciate you keeping everyone in the loop here. Not being able to get a straight answer from Q on these 2 issues for months now has been incredibly frustrating.

Having purchased the sub on launch there was very little information available online, so while it seems some have already given up and moved on to other brands, hopefully this thread is helpful to others experiencing the same issues.

25. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    As promised, I have heard back from QA today and they have confirmed that they know what the problems are and are hopeful that the changes they are making will solve all my issues. A new batch of units with various design modifications incorporated should be arriving with them in a couple of weeks. I assume these will need to be tested before they are released but after this I am hopeful that I will have a fault (and pop) free unit.

26. sobersiddhi

sobersiddhi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Interesting - are you able to elaborate on the design modifications at all? Apparently a new 3070s is being shipped to my dealer as we speak so if this new batch is still a few weeks away, I'd hate to be getting yet another dud from the first batch.

I had a 'module' replaced in my first unit that fixed the 'squelchiness' issue, but not the pop. I hope they are not simply sending me one from the first batch that has been 'repaired' (i.e. fixing squelchiness but not pop).

If anyone from Q would like to weigh in with some actual solid information and straight answers about the issues here, I think it'd go a long way to winning back customer trust. As it stands, this thread and the Youtube video posted above are amongst the first results when searching for 'Q Acoustics 3070s' - even above the 5-star review.

Apologies are appreciated and manufacturing issues happen - and we are all human - but you simply cannot sweep this sort of thing under the carpet in this day and age.

27. Steve Reichert

Steve Reichert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello sobersiddhi

Firstly, thank you for purchasing Q Acoustics. Secondly, please accept my personal apology regarding the problem you've experienced.

I hope you will understand we cannot reveal any technical details, as this may hand a competitive advantage to other manufacturers. However, I'm pleased to reiterate our commitment to you, and indeed everyone who invests in Q Acoustics products; that we'll ensure you end up with a speaker system that delivers a class leading performance.

As in my previous post, I would ask that you email my colleague Alex Munro - [email protected] - with all the relevant details.

Very best regards,

Steve Reichert

28. sobersiddhi

sobersiddhi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, as I mentioned above I've already had correspondence with Alex Munro a few months ago. I have been patiently waiting on a resolution so I'll pick up that conversation again.

29. Eldritch

Eldritch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm new to the forum, having stumbled upon it during a search for this exact topic. I purchased a 3070s, to compliment my other Q Acoustic speakers, and received it yesterday afternoon. After setting everything up I settled down to watch a film last night (I tend to watch a lot of subdued World Cinema films, so no loud explosions on the whole) and I eventually had to turn the auto-on function off due to the continuous popping throughout. And it's certainly not a quiet pop.
    Also, like another of the posters here, I was quite surprised by the size of the Sub. Having got the Size specifications off Q Acoustic's site, and off the retailers, I had set up my room and wiring accordingly. A few cms here and there wouldn't have been an issue but this thing is nearly 12cm deeper than advertised. I'm wondering if this is enough of an issue to warrant a return or whether I'm stuck with it.

30. sobersiddhi

sobersiddhi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This most certainly sounds like one of the two known issues described in this thread.

Yes I informed them of this 3 months ago and they acknowledged the dimensions listed on their website are incorrect. It beggars belief that this is still not updated. I too had measured up everything to fit.

My understanding is Q Acoustics have acknowledged the issues and will provide you with a replacement. Just make sure you aren't given one from the current batch.

If you want to stick it out, I recommend you contact Alex Munro ([email protected]) and ask for a replacement unit from the new shipment (with 'design modifications') expected in the coming weeks. They have not yet confirmed an exact date.

I'm sure you could ask for a refund too if that's what you want.

See smjohns' post below.