Q Acoustics 3050i vs Monitor Audio Bronze 5

Wilkeh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm new to the audio scene and after lengthy reserch I've narrowed it down to these two floorstanders. Which one would you recommend?

I have a pretty basic amp at the moment however I'm looking to invest in a better one shortly and also looking to get a small sub at some point. The 3050i were recently reduced from £650 to pretty much the same price as the Brozne 5's

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Kind regards

To decide you really must audition them yourself. One man's meat as they say and my preference may be totally different to yours.

3050i is larger and similar to Bronze 6. There is dual 6,5" mid-bass drivers over B5s 2x5,25", but you have to listen both to see which you like more as Gibbsy said. Notice the 3050i is good bit deeper. You need to consider how much the speakers come forward in to the room as you will need to leave minium of 20cm space behind them and wall. Preferably more, around 30cm+ to hear them best and ideally more for side walls / objects. Just a heads up as some members have run in to problems with wife/gf.

But i also need to mention if you like Monitor Audio sound signature, then consider the Silver 6s which were 1k£ speakers new. They will cost same 500£/pair (i assume black too if you have a chat!) and will be step up from both models you are looking. Tricky part might be demoing, but if you can make the trip.. With a good amplification S6s are very enjoyable speakers, clear step up from Bronze series which by the way sees "upgrade" next year!

Thanks for the help mate. I'll nip into RS tomorrow and see if I can demo both :) I think I prefer the size of the MA Bronze 5. I don't have the biggest living room in the world and they sure do look neat. The 3050i are extremely deep!

Thanks for the help mate. I'll nip into RS tomorrow and see if I can demo both :) I think I prefer the size of the MA Bronze 5. I don't have the biggest living room in the world and they sure do look neat. The 3050i are extremely deep!

Well in that case listen Bronze 5 and Dali Oberon 5. They are sized same and i think you should get some discount from it! Bring your own music with you that you are familiar and pay attention which amp is being used. If you book demo time by calling you can ask certain amp to be used. RS does that.

So I've ended up getting the best of both worlds. I ended up getting the 3050i for my living room and managed to source some MA Bronze 6's for my bedroom for £350 (4 years warranty left!)

Happy chap with both indeed :)

Now it's time for some new amps!

Can you please tell me your thoughts over the difference in sound between both speakers?

Can you please tell me your thoughts over the difference in sound between both speakers?

Hey bud. I hope @Wilkeh can give you more information how they differ, but just a heads up if you didn´t notice yet.. There will be new Bronze serie introduced on hifi show this week at the Bristol Hi-fi Show Friday 21st to Sunday 23rd February 2020. In shops most likely around May-June if i had to guess. I`m quite sure we get more information about these at the show.

The Q Acoustics concept 40, which may be better than the 3050i are worth a look as well.. they are reduced by £300 from £999 to £699 so are similar price to the Bronze range. They are a little bass heavy for my liking though without the bungs or too close to a wall.

I'll be honest mate I was really underwhelmed by the performance of the 3050i, I prefer my Bronze's by far. Both were on decent amps but I ended up taking the 3050i back and replacing them with another set of Bronze 6's (second hand). I am however looking at getting the Dali Oberon 5's and selling a set of the Bronze's soon just to mix it up a bit.

Really happy with the Bronze, they sound amazing. Bedroom setup is hooked up with a XLS200 sub and a CXA60 amp. Sounds wicked!

I'll be honest mate I was really underwhelmed by the performance of the 3050i, I prefer my Bronze's by far. Both were on decent amps but I ended up taking the 3050i back and replacing them with another set of Bronze 6's (second hand). I am however looking at getting the Dali Oberon 5's and selling a set of the Bronze's soon just to mix it up a bit.

Really happy with the Bronze, they sound amazing. Bedroom setup is hooked up with a XLS200 sub and a CXA60 amp. Sounds wicked!
That is really interesting and thank you for the reply. I have the Bronze 5 AV pack but with two BK P12-300SB-DF subs instead of the W10 which is now back in it's box and coming from an old 90's Mission setup I was also blown away by the detail and timing that I was hearing with the Bronze 5s but I keep reading about the 3050i AV pack and was wondering if I am missing out on something. It's quite a trek from where I live to a dealer that would allow me to audition the speakers so as you have real life experience between the two ranges I thought I would ask what your findings were. Now the Dali's is also something I have been pondering over so that also mixes it up a bit for me lol

@Wilkeh @MarkBow Did end up comparing your Mission Audio speakers to the Dalis?

Hey mate, yes I did indeed! I ended up selling my MA Bronze 6's for a set of Dali Oberon 5's. Sound wise, there isn't much in it at all, I probably still slightly preferred the sound of the MA6 to be honest, but the Dali's are still a lot of fun. The main reason for the purchase was because I still have another set of MA6's in the living room anyway, and I really like the aesthetics on the Dali's. The look incredible in the bedroom, very subtle, and very loud if you want them to be!

I also upgraded to a XXLS 400. That thing is a monster! :D

I find QA's just too muddy. They have this flat, muddy sound that results in a lot of lost detail. Let the sub be the sub and the speakers should speak for themselves so to speak (cough).

Not if you go for the concept range.

The 3000i range is equivalent to the bronze range. The concept 20/40 are equivalent to the silver range and are a step up in both sound quality and build quality. The concepts do benefit from quality amps and more sensitive to poor recordings as they pick out the detail more.

Concept 40s are a bargain £699 vs £999-£1200 for the silver 200 depending on finish. Its extra for gloss finish on MA, no extra on QA.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom