Q acoustics 3020i 5.1 setup recommendations?

Yeah think thats what i'll go for, with the centre recessed and L&R either side of the chimney wall, now to decide t101's or t301's either side of the tv and 101c or 301c? As the 301's are more expensive might start off with a 3.1 system and move to a 5.1 later when funds allow.
Also the sofa will be right against the back wall, what would be the best option for rears if i do go for a 5.1 system

MA Radius 225 would work too like in the picture, so using three of those like those M&K MP7. If you lean toward T-serie then 301 as mains and 301c as center! Don´t go with the smaller model for the LCR, this is important!

Mount the T101 surrounds little bit higher to get them further away from ears. It´s tricky but not much you can do..

Worth noting that if you google it there are a few UK shops that do T series in a package with an AVR and you save quite a lot off the total cost.

That includes some with the (already mentioned above) x1600.

Another consideration, as they may be small enough, it the Focal Sib Evo package. If you get an AVR that does front Atmos it has built in little Atmos upfirers in the front speakers. That, also, is included in many of these packages with an AVR.

Monoprice UK also do some decently priced speakers with built in upfirer but probably too big for you.

MA Radius 225 would work too like in the picture, so using three of those like those M&K MP7. If you lean toward T-serie then 301 as mains and 301c as center! Don´t go with the smaller model for the LCR, this is important!

Mount the T101 surrounds little bit higher to get them further away from ears. It´s tricky but not much you can do..
As the T301's are pricier compared the the speakers i was guna get i was thinking of starting off with a 3.1 going for the T301C for centre and T101's for L & R, then when funds allow invest in some T103's for fronts and move the T101's to the rear in a 5.1 setup.

As the T301's are pricier compared the the speakers i was guna get i was thinking of starting off with a 3.1 going for the T301C for centre and T101's for L & R, then when funds allow invest in some T103's for fronts and move the T101's to the rear in a 5.1 setup.

Can you fit normal sized center channel there? You mentioned the 3020i were too big, but what about the center channel? I would consider Dali Oberon On-Wall and Oberon Vokal if the latter isn´t issue size wise. This should outperform the Kef T range for similar cost. As Dobby mentioned you should ask bundle deal with the receiver and the speakers, you get discount so don´t look the list prices! Send email to Peter Tyson and few other dealers for best price.

Definitely agree with Gasp on this one, look here an example of someone who had issues with the crossovers on the T series:

It looks like you may have to consider that the KEFs will depend on placement and, even all wall mounted, you may need to think about using a subwoofer that can attain higher frequencies than 120Hz.

Can you fit normal sized center channel there? You mentioned the 3020i were too big, but what about the center channel? I would consider Dali Oberon On-Wall and Oberon Vokal if the latter isn´t issue size wise. This should outperform the Kef T range for similar cost. As Dobby mentioned you should ask bundle deal with the receiver and the speakers, you get discount so don´t look the list prices! Send email to Peter Tyson and few other dealers for best price.

I could fit a normal size centre as this was going to be recessed into a false chimney wall below the tv it was more the L & R that were too big and the misses didn't want big bulky speakers mounted on the wall to the left and right of chimney wall.
Shouldn't the L R and C all be of the same type/brand?

Definitely agree with Gasp on this one, look here an example of someone who had issues with the crossovers on the T series:

It looks like you may have to consider that the KEFs will depend on placement and, even all wall mounted, you may need to think about using a subwoofer that can attain higher frequencies than 120Hz.
This is all new to me, what is meant by crossovers? I was going to pair the speakers with a bk sub, which one would you reccomend paired with the Kef t series?

Are the T101's really that inferior compared to the T301's?

This is all new to me, what is meant by crossovers? I was going to pair the speakers with a bk sub, which one would you reccomend paired with the Kef t series?

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the BK subs. But if you look at that link, the T series can end up with quite high crossover settings (this is the point where the bass signal is sent to the subwoofer instead of to the individual speakers).
I would assume (but we all know the saying for that word!) that if you get the KEF T package with sub that the sub would cover an adequate range for the speakers.
All I'm saying is, if you choose a different sub, it it preferential that it also covers up to a high enough frequency to support the T series speakers.
Someone will hopefully respond who knows more about the BK subs.

Shouldn't the L R and C all be of the same type/brand?
Yes preferably the same model range and most certainly from the same manufacturer.
I was going to pair the speakers with a bk sub, which one would you reccomend paired with the Kef t series?
You can use any sub with any make or model of speaker. You don't have to worry about which sub goes with which speaker, sub bass doesn't work like that and all you need to do is have the sub pick up those frequencies below any set crossover.

Subs are usually picked on the size of the room as they need to pressurise that room. That, to me, is not a rule written in stone as I have a fairly large room but use the diminutive REL T5 which is now in it's ninth year of use. Simply couldn't get a bigger one past the wife. BK are usually a safe pair of hands and cheaper than the very reliable REL equivalents.

You can use any sub with any make or model of speaker. You don't have to worry about which sub goes with which speaker, sub bass doesn't work like that and all you need to do is have the sub pick up those frequencies below any set crossover.

Hi Gibbsy, if you look at the link above, if he uses T series and it (for example) sets crossover at 190Hz then his sub only goes up to 120Hz and drops off, he's losing a frequency band of information for that channel. That's what I was saying.

Seen alot on these forums saying they have paired the bk xxls400 with the T301's, any opinions on that sub?

Sorry for all the questions, feel like i need a degree in soundwaves to buy an audio system 🤯

Hi Gibbsy, if you look at the link above, if he uses T series and it (for example) sets crossover at 190Hz then his sub only goes up to 120Hz and drops off, he's losing a frequency band of information for that channel. That's what I was saying.
I was making a genralisation as to match brands that subs generally do not matter as to what speakers they match to.

As the the T Series themselves then they have been engineered to be able, on paper at least, to facilitate a crossover of 120hz and do quote a figure of 80hz. Of course we have no idea as to how any speaker will perform in any room when Audyssey is involved and Audyssey or any room correction will recognise a roll off. Could be 190hz in one room yet 120hz in another.

I have moved speakers from being fronts to surrounds and the crossover has gone from 60hz to 80hz yet sound better at 100hz. The joys of using a living room. I contributed to that thread that you linked to and the room and mic positioning played a big part in that original high crossover reading. The OP of that thread eventually with better room furnishing and a correct mic placement did get a crossover for his problematic centre to roll off at 120hz.

Are the T101's really that inferior compared to the T301's?

That is what owners have found when comparing them. They are already so small so you want the extra cabinet volume and extra mid-bass driver. So 301 for front three and you can then save some going with the T101 on surrounds.

Dalis too large?

FYI, there's a full set (KEF T305) in Classified at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom