Q acoustics 3020i 5.1 setup recommendations?

Si85mufc

Novice Member
Hi Newbie here looking for recommendations for a decent 5.1 setup, i quite like the look of the Q Acoustics 3020i speakers and want some recommendations for a decent sub and av reciever. Budget is about £1200 i was thinking
Front 3020i £220
Rear 3010i £180
Centre 3090Ci £170
Sub 3060S £280 (is there a better alternative, heard alot of ppl mention bk subs)
Leaves about £350 for an av reciever, any suggestions?

TheHighFlyingBirds

Hi Newbie here looking for recommendations for a decent 5.1 setup, i quite like the look of the Q Acoustics 3020i speakers and want some recommendations for a decent sub and av reciever. Budget is about £1200 i was thinking
Front 3020i £220
Rear 3010i £180
Centre 3090Ci £170
Sub 3060S £280 (is there a better alternative, heard alot of ppl mention bk subs)
BK will deffo be a better choice for a sub, basic ones are gemini 2 and xls200. Moving up are the xxls400 and p12 or double gem. I have the 400 and plenty happy with it. If you are happy with second hand, some appear here on the classifieds.

Can't recommend an AVR as not looked at any recently, but I quite like yamahas, plus they aren't too bad for music. Might be worth stating what you want it to do, e.g. use with ps5 or xbox series x, have atmos, etc.

If you found you are short of funds to get the better sub or AVR you can build your system up slowly, starting with just front three speakers and AVR, then add rears and sub later. The other option is to buy it all together from one source (excluding a BK sub as you can only buy direct) and get a deal for a package, e.g. from peter tyson or richer sounds.

parper

Front 3020i £220
Rear 3010i £180
Centre 3090Ci £170
I'm running my 3020is with a slimline Marantz NR1506, which is a few years old but sounds great to me for music and for movies as part of my 5.1 setup with the 3090ci and a punchy SVS PB1000 sub. Picked up the avr in the classifieds so worth a look there and perhaps post in wanted.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Front 3020i £220
Rear 3010i £180
Centre 3090Ci £170

220 + 170 + 450 + 400= 1240£. You would get the front three QAs, latest Yamaha receiver, BK P12 subwoofer. Buy the surrounds when funds allow. Richer Sounds Milton Keynes probably your nearest and i would ask can they give you any discount for the speakers and receiver as typically you do get something off when buying more. You would get this model:

If you have fairly typical ~15sqm UK room get the BK P12-300SB model straight away. You won´t regret it. Do not buy the QA slim sub.

Si85mufc

Novice Member
Cheers for all the responses, will have a look on richer sounds and call um to see if i can get some discount for buying bulk. Its the main living room its going in and will just be used for music and movies, im currently building a false chimney for a recessed tv and will be wall mounting speakers either side with a recess for centre speaker, will be hiding the av equipment in cupboard under stairs. With regards to connecting the sub will an amazon basics rca cable be sufficient or do i need a more expensive cable?

TheHighFlyingBirds

Cheers for all the responses, will have a look on richer sounds and call um to see if i can get some discount for buying bulk. Its the main living room its going in and will just be used for music and movies, im currently building a false chimney for a recessed tv and will be wall mounting speakers either side with a recess for centre speaker, will be hiding the av equipment in cupboard under stairs. With regards to connecting the sub will an amazon basics rca cable be sufficient or do i need a more expensive cable?
Amazon basics is perfectly adequate. BK subs come with the appropriate cables, guessing other subs will too.
Edit: grammar

essgee

I'm from Northampton and have the 3020i fronts, 3090ci Centre and I put this with some small yamaha satellites I had lying around for the rears. I added the BK xls200 sub although this is normally always off now as I've had a baby 😭

I'm impressed anyway!

Si85mufc

Novice Member
Like the look of that yamaha RXV4A receiver and reading good things about yamaha music cast, anyone got any experience with it?
Think i'm sold on a bk sub aswell just cant decide between the gemini and xls200.
Got a little 2yr old at home too with another on the way so prob won't be using the sub much either 🤣

essgee

I bought my bk xls 200 from their ebay outlet page. I got a DF one so which hopefully gives my son one less thing to damage.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Like the look of that yamaha RXV4A receiver and reading good things about yamaha music cast, anyone got any experience with it?
Think i'm sold on a bk sub aswell just cant decide between the gemini and xls200.
Got a little 2yr old at home too with another on the way so prob won't be using the sub much either 🤣

Well if your requirements are low then Gemini II. If you compare the price of XLS200 and the P12 model the latter offers so much more for only little bit more ££. Just keep in mind that the sub will usually be the first thing to be upgraded if looking to push the system to another level. Personally i would choose the P12 even if you don´t listen loud, but if you rarely even keep the sub on etc. then perhaps the Gemini II will do. I owned it 4 years, great product for the low price but bit too polite for my taste (movies).

PS. If you want Atmos for future proofing so basically 7.2 receiver then PT has the 2019 model Denon X1600H within your budget. It has bit more features over the Yamaha apart from the HDMI 2.1 connections, but it has eARC so if you have tv with hdmi 2.1 connections you can connect new gaming consoles (PS5, Xbox Serie X) straight to tv. So the 2.1 is mostly for the new gaming consoles as 8K tv`s are so far away still.

Broadsword

I've just had an amazon basics subwoofer cable just die on me this last week. No real reason just dead, 6 months old. It was all routed through cavities as well. They have sent a replacement which works fine but whilst they are ok for the job, I questions the build quality.

Si85mufc

Novice Member
Well if your requirements are low then Gemini II. If you compare the price of XLS200 and the P12 model the latter offers so much more for only little bit more ££. Just keep in mind that the sub will usually be the first thing to be upgraded if looking to push the system to another level. Personally i would choose the P12 even if you don´t listen loud, but if you rarely even keep the sub on etc. then perhaps the Gemini II will do. I owned it 4 years, great product for the low price but bit too polite for my taste (movies).

PS. If you want Atmos for future proofing so basically 7.2 receiver then PT has the 2019 model Denon X1600H within your budget. It has bit more features over the Yamaha apart from the HDMI 2.1 connections, but it has eARC so if you have tv with hdmi 2.1 connections you can connect new gaming consoles (PS5, Xbox Serie X) straight to tv. So the 2.1 is mostly for the new gaming consoles as 8K tv`s are so far away still.

You've made me think now, i wasn't intending to go for more than a 5.1 system but i would kick myself if i wanted atmos later down the line and the receiver wasn't capable 🤔 is atmos really that superior to a standard 5.1 system?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

You've made me think now, i wasn't intending to go for more than a 5.1 system but i would kick myself if i wanted atmos later down the line and the receiver wasn't capable 🤔 is atmos really that superior to a standard 5.1 system?

Well it adds new dimension for sure (upfiring/height channels/overhead in or on-ceiling speakers) and with that Denon receiver there is this feature called Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization so you get little heightened effect even with 5.1 system when you enable this feature.

You could give PT a call ask X1600H + those QA models. Ask bundle deal, this is the keyword. Naturally without subwoofer so 5.0 system+receiver if you can afford it. Sub from BK then..

Zombie Twin

I have the 3090 (paired it with Yamaha NSF51s) and I am really pleased with it. Puts out a nice, rich sound, surprising levels of bass and handles dialogue with ease.

I would advise you not to be too picky about the colour, as I went for the cheaper option of "graphite", which is always priced lower. It's also best for cutting back on light reflections in a very dark room, too.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
One member bought the black ones and said they really aren´t black. For me the white and walnut looks best.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Brava 210

Si85mufc

Novice Member
After much deliberation i think i've decided on 5.1 setup with the option to upgrade to 5.1.2 in future or might use the other channels for a pair of speakers in another room with zone 2
Yamaha rxv6a
Q acoustics 3020i front pair
Q acoustics 3010i surround
Q acoustics 3090Ci centre

Been quoted £1147 from peter tyson
And £1094 from Richer sounds, does this sound like a good deal?
Will be buying a sub from bk electronics will prob get the Gemini
Also as this is all new to me does anybody know if cat6 will convert hdmi 2.0 for a decent 4k picture as i've already pre wired 4x cat 6 cables from the av location in under stairs cupboard to tv position?
And as the rxv6a supports hdmi 2.1 (not that i'll be using it any time soon) how would i wire for this as my understanding is that cat6 would not be sufficient for this over longer distance and even longer hdmi cables would struggle?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
After much deliberation i think i've decided on 5.1 setup with the option to upgrade to 5.1.2 in future or might use the other channels for a pair of speakers in another room with zone 2
Yamaha rxv6a
Q acoustics 3020i front pair
Q acoustics 3010i surround
Q acoustics 3090Ci centre

Been quoted £1147 from peter tyson
And £1094 from Richer sounds, does this sound like a good deal?
Will be buying a sub from bk electronics will prob get the Gemini
Also as this is all new to me does anybody know if cat6 will convert hdmi 2.0 for a decent 4k picture as i've already pre wired 4x cat 6 cables from the av location in under stairs cupboard to tv position?
And as the rxv6a supports hdmi 2.1 (not that i'll be using it any time soon) how would i wire for this as my understanding is that cat6 would not be sufficient for this over longer distance and even longer hdmi cables would struggle?

Don´t forget speaker stands or are you wall mounting all speakers? Which finish you go for?

Si85mufc

Novice Member
Plans have gone up in smoke 😩 she hates the size of the 3020i's and wants something less obtrusive. Looks like i'm guna have to ditch the q acoustics bookshelf speakers and go for some nice looking satellites or in wall speakers, any recommendations?
I'll still be pairing them with the yamaha rxv6a and a sub from bk

gibbsy

KEF T Series, available in white. They sit almost flush to the wall. Less hassle than putting in wall speakers and somewhat cheaper.

Si85mufc

Novice Member
KEF T Series, available in white. They sit almost flush to the wall. Less hassle than putting in wall speakers and somewhat cheaper.

Yeah had a look at them, they look nice! problem i've got is i'm building a false chimney wall with a recessed 65inch tv and recessed electric fire and ideally want the speakers either recessed flush into the chimney breast or sitting either side. Will there be a drop in sound quality if they are slighty recessed to sit flush into the chimney breast?

Si85mufc

Novice Member
Can you place them like this?

20180103_183938-jpg.960572
Yeah think thats what i'll go for, with the centre recessed and L&R either side of the chimney wall, now to decide t101's or t301's either side of the tv and 101c or 301c? As the 301's are more expensive might start off with a 3.1 system and move to a 5.1 later when funds allow.
Also the sofa will be right against the back wall, what would be the best option for rears if i do go for a 5.1 system

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG smart TVs now feature Google Stadia service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett