Question Q Acoustics 3020 for desk/PC, do they work "nearfield" or bad option?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by nivity, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nivity

nivity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Am looking to get a pair of Q acoustics 3020 speaker for my PC, so they will be standing on my desk.
    I know some speakers are just really bad to have close, and the sound becomes bad when close to them.
    I prefer not to use sudio monitors either.

Do anyone have any experience with 3020 "nearfield" or know how they behave when sitting close to them. Cannot listen to them sadly because no store close have them.

And if they are bad having so close, do anyone have any recommendation for a speaker that works good with such close distance.

Best regards,
    Jimmie

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Why do you not want to use a studio monitor type speaker since they are designed to be used the way you want too?
    The QAs (or any similar speaker) is not going to sound its best on a desk no matter how close or not you are to them. They are designed to be used on a speaker stand or wall bracket and will not sound their best on a desk or cabinet etc.

3. nivity

nivity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if there are any good passive Studio monitors then that is ok.
    I don't want active speakers.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    What is wrong with active speakers? A good active has advantages over the conventional passive speaker systems.

5. nivity

nivity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want passives for the future, much easier If I decide to build upon it or change things etc.
    And things like headphone jack lack on many, and volume knobs are on the back on many.
    And most lack a Dac so I would need to get a USB dac anyway, or buy a much better soundcard.

Unless I go with the likes of Dali Zensor 1ax that have most things DALI ZENSOR 1 AX - wireless all-round stereo speaker
    But even they lack headphone jack (and are the same speaker as passive Zensor 1 so not much use to buying actives then)

6. 9u775

9u775

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    If I were in your situation I'd probably look into active monitors along with separate DAC and headphone / pre amp. That way you get a decent DAC and headphone amp separately that will also feed your active monitors. Most integrated solutions I've come across have compromised somewhere (like the headphone output) whereas this solution should give you great quality across the board if you pick the right components, along with the versatility to change / upgrade individual components in the future.

For example, the Schiit Modi 2 is a solid DAC with multiple outputs and looks nice on the desk.
    Schiit Magni 2 Uber is a decent headphone amp (able to drive 600ohm headphones with ease) and the Uber model has an upgraded pre-amp output for your active monitors, plus it'll aesthetically match / stack on your Modi. JBL LSR 305 (you'll need two as monitors don't come in pairs, generally) are good monitors and similar size / price to the Q Acoustics. Set them to -10dBV for the unbalanced connection from the the Magni. If you find them a bit flat (they are monitors, after all) you can play with the HF / LF trim settings on the back. Altogether that kit would probably be a fair bit cheaper than the Dali option.