Q Acoustics 2070s Subwoofer Problem?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tallorder25, Jan 9, 2012.

1. tallorder25

tallorder25
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I purchased a Q Acoustics 2000 cinema pack from Home AV Direct: LCD TVs | Plasma TVs | Blue Ray & DVD Players | DAB radios and more Brand New in glossy white on 03/01/2012

The problem I am experiencing is the 2070s subwoofer. With the subwoofer plugged into the mains without the RCA subwoofer lead not plugged in, I am hearing a loud humming noise. This suggests to me that there is something wrong with the subwoofer as my previous subwoofer never did this.

When I plug the RCA Subwoofer cable to my amp and 2070s, there is still a humming noise and the noise gets louder as the level dial is increased.

Can someone please get back to me with some info on what the matter is with this 2070s subwoofer?

Regards

2. Steve Reichert

Steve Reichert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello Wongers,

My name is Steve Reichert and I'm Armour Home's (and therefore Q Acoustics') PR guy. To be honest, I'm not an engineer and can't think what the problem could be. However, I've already alerted my colleagues on the service team but we won't get a response until tomorrow morning.

Please email me [email protected] and let me know your email address, so I can get back to you with any information.

Best regards,

Steve

3. tallorder25

tallorder25
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Steve,

I just sent you an email with my details.

Regards

Alan

4. EMR77

EMR77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've also recently purchased Q Acoustics 2000 cinema pack with two 2050's from Home AV Direct.
    Which was delivered a couple of days ago 10/01/2012. I have the same problem as Wongers. I also have a humming noise, which gets louder as the level dial is increased. Also there is this "bonking" noise, almost similar as someone is tapping a microphone. My 2070S connected to my Sony STR-DB790 AV receiver with a IXOS-XHK 506 - 5m subwoofer cable.
    Can someone please tell me what's wrong with my subwoofer.

5. tallorder25

tallorder25
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    EMR77, you have the same problem I had with my subwoofer. Steve from Q Acoustics has been great. The customer service is outstanding, probably the best I have ever had. Thankyou for replacing the subwoofer. Will was very helpful as well with explaining everything and all the info.

It may be worthwhile looking into Home Av Direct regarding what they are selling as new q acoustics equipment. Its a bit strange that me and EMR77 have had the same problem, and it was purchased from the same company.

6. Brooners

Brooners
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incredible! I am suffering the same issue with my 2070S having got this from Home AV Direct just before Christmas along with the 2000i cinema pack (2020i fronts). I notice that the issue seems to ease if you manually adjust the sub's crossover control from "AV" to a lower frequency (80hz seems to get rid of the issue). I thought, however, that my AVR (Denon 1912) was meant to deal with this crossover internally (LPF for LFE set at 80hz) and I'm therefore worried that the subwoofer is faulty. Slightly concerning that this appears to be a recurrent issue with the Home AV stock.

Wongers, was there an easy fix or was the unit faulty?

Best regards

7. Steve Reichert

Steve Reichert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Brooners,

I'm sorry to learn you're experiencing a problem with your home cinema system and needless to say we want resolve that situation as soon as possible.

However, and I apologise if I've misunderstood something, from your description I'm surprised you have concluded the problem is with the subwoofer.

Surely if the problem is solved when you adjust the subs crossover setting from 'AV' down to 80Hz (which overrides the amps output signal), this suggests your problem is caused by your amp not restricting its subwoofer output to 80Hz and below - even though this is what you have requested the menu.

In terms of sound quality, the important thing is that the sub receives the correct signal. The result should be exactly the same whether the amp sends only '80Hz and below' signals to the sub and the latter is set to 'AV', or the amp sends full range signals and the sub itself restricts them to '80Hz and below' because that's where you have set the crossover frequency on the sub's control knob.

May I also take this opportunity to state categorically that 'Home AV Direct' is a completely reputable dealer.

Brooners, please don't hesitate to email me,if the problem isn't resolved.

Very best regards,

Steve Reichert

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  8. EMR77

EMR77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The customers service from Home AV Direct, suggested that it might be a grounding issue.
    So, I moved the sub and used a different outlet, and it worked ; )
    The humming noise is gone.

9. truemanuk

truemanuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new 2070i sub got the same problem, the first day I used it without any problem, from second day got hum suddenly, I tried different socket in different rooms, still the same, in quiet room, the hum can be noticed in in 5m range, I bought this from Creative Audio, their support is superb, I am waiting for their reply, then decide whether to send it back for replacement.

10. Kayav12

Kayav12
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, pls help! I unpacked my sub yesterday, it worked throughout last night and decided not to produce any sound today. I've tweaked everything on the AV receiver (Pioneer VSX524) and on the sub; nothing seems to solve the problem.

I'm thinking of returning it to the dealer as something isn't right with this sub. You suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

11. Tjin10

Tjin10
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi, just wondering if you end up finding the solution for this error

Thanks in advance

12. tallorder25

tallorder25
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My advice is to contact q acoustics. Ive now sold my 2000 pack and upgraded to 7000i speakers with a REL sub instead of using a q acoustic one. There i
    Seems to be issues with the q acoustic subs with humming problems.