Q Acoustics 2050 Tower Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by barongimpy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. barongimpy

barongimpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are these in any way decent?

Buy Q Acoustics 2050 Tower Speakers online at JohnLewis.com

Scenario: I'm likely purchasing an Onkyo TXNR609 receiver and Mono sub shortly.

I already have Mordaunt Short Alumni fronts and centre and was gonna leave them be until I could afford some excellent floorstanders but I do have some John Lewis vouchers to blow and just noticed these.

Would they provide a decent stop-gap? (In which case i'd use the MS L/R as rears instead of the Wharfdale bookshelf speakers I intended to use).

Or is it, as I would assume, better to just retain the Mordaunt Short unison across the front/centre and then invest in some better speakers at a later date?

2. barongimpy

barongimpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm digging round forums a little they seem to be pricier at JL than they have been at plenty of places over the past 12 months which leads me to believe its a waste of money regardless of my other queries.

Damn, really hoped I'd be able to use some of these vouchers towards my upgrade but JL don't seem to have much besides full 5.1 packages.

3. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
  4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    I would stick with the MS up front to be honest until you are ready to replace all 3 at the same time. You really want the front 3 to be the same make/model to ensure a good tonal match.
    Top answer your other question, the 2050s are a pretty good speaker for the money and in a quick demo I did in Currys one day in their setup demo area I felt they had the edge slightly on a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.3s.

5. barongimpy

barongimpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They seem pretty good value for money scott but again, worth it to lose the MS unison at the front? Probably not..

PSM1 -

Could you explain the brand thing to me as I understand the differences in sound that vary brand to brand but when talking the same make, i'm a little unclear.

If I were to partner my MS Alumni centre with MS Aviano fronts for instance wouldnt the difference in quality of sound not be the same, if I were to partner it with a different speaker brand?

Or is it that difference in sound quality is always more subtle staying within brand, with the overall tone retained, whereas the difference in sound is more dramatic between brands, where the whole dynamics can be changed.

Using this example - were I to buy some Monitor Audio Mezzo 8 fronts- would they not sound better than having all Mordaunt Short Alumnis at the front regardless, just because they're so much better? I mean where is the cut-off point as to when staying within brand is better?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    For me I would want to keep the front 3 consistent with each other interms of quality and size. I would not have different brands across the front 3 and I would not have different models within a brand across the front 3 either i.e. if looking at the Monitor Audio range I would not have BX front L/R and an RX centre. This is because although a brand of speaker (i.e. Monitor Audio) may go for a particular general sound there will be differences in this generic sound between the different ranges/models that they make as well. I would also not go for large front L/R and tiny centre even if in the same range (or vice versa) as I feel the best sound comes from the 3 front speakers being as consistent as possible on driver size etc. too. In an ideal world for a movie surround system you would use the same speaker in each location (except the sub of course) in your surround system so there is no difference in sound between them all but this is rarely achievable. This is just my opinion and others may disagree.

7. barongimpy

barongimpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yea that all makes sense - I actually thought when you said "make/model" you meant make or model rather than both together. But I do see some saying just it's acceptable to stick within brand, rather than strictly model, though perhaps they don't necessarily mean the front 3.

In which case then, as I can't seem to locate these Wharfdales I was gonna use as rears, if I needed to pick up a pair of rears, it would probably make sense to just get Alumni's?

Moving on ... if in the near future I was looking to replace the fronts/centre with some new speakers to get more out of the TXNR609, are there any you'd recommend going with (floorstanding preferably)? Budget flexible but no certainly no more than £700.

8. moz147

moz147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    just ordered mine from john lewis with a price match from currys and pc world might be worth firing off an email although not showing now at either..... got em for £99 :thumbsup:

9. barongimpy

barongimpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mate, check your inbox ;)

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    You could look at the Monitor Audio BX range, Focal 700 series or Wharfedale Diamond 10 to name but a few.