• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Q Accoustic 3020i vs Dali zensor 1 speakers

sound28

Standard Member
Hi,
I was looking out for small speakers which I would be wall mounting due to space constraints. I have finally shortlisted QA 3020i & the Dali Zensor 1 which fits in my budget. I am currently replacing Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 monitors.
Listening preference is 60% music & 40 % movies. I do not like bright sounding speakers. A tad bit on the warmer or neutral sounding speaker is fine where there is no listening fatigue.

My room size is 14 feet length X 11 feet Width X 11 feet height
AV gear is Marantz SR 7011 with SVS PC 2000 subwoofer.

Also wanted to know if it is ok to pair QA 3020i since their amplifier requirement rating at their site is from 25 watts to 75 watts. & my Marantz SR 7011 is rated at 125 watts @ 8 ohms ,2 channels driven & these are 6 ohm speakers. I may increase the volume to 70% for movies max in some cases but will never blast it to ear shattering levels.
Looking for advice from the experts on this forum. Thanks.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
QA`s are known to be more on the neutral side and Zensor is on the brighter side (reviews, owners opinions and my experience aswell), but then again Marantz is known of more warmer tone so it could balance them enough. If you have option to go listen them first at India preferably with Marantz (or Denon) receiver then please do that! Some model can be overly bright for person X, but perfect for person Y so the blind buy is generally bad idea.. I would add Wharfedale Diamond 225 to your list if you prefer more warmer laid back sounding speakers. These are likely to give you some extra weight/scale compared to those two, cause the cabinet and mid-bass driver is larger in 225! They also have downfiring port and could be placed more closely to walls in some cases.

Wharfedale Diamond 225 Speakers (PAIR)

sound28

Standard Member
QA`s are known to be more on the neutral side and Zensor is on the brighter side (reviews, owners opinions and my experience aswell), but then again Marantz is known of more warmer tone so it could balance them enough. If you have option to go listen them first at India preferably with Marantz (or Denon) receiver then please do that! Some model can be overly bright for person X, but perfect for person Y so the blind buy is generally bad idea.. I would add Wharfedale Diamond 225 to your list if you prefer more warmer laid back sounding speakers. These are likely to give you some extra weight/scale compared to those two, cause the cabinet and mid-bass driver is larger in 225! They also have downfiring port and could be placed more closely to walls in some cases.

Wharfedale Diamond 225 Speakers (PAIR)
Thanks a lot Gasp3621 for your prompt & insightful reply. I had the Wharfedale also in mind but they are bigger in size as compared to these 2 brands. Will take your advise about hearing them but not sure to find QA at the dealers in the vicinity although they are available on Amazon.
Any idea if they are safe to be driven by Marantz at max 70% volume.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks a lot Gasp3621 for your prompt & insightful reply. I had the Wharfedale also in mind but they are bigger in size as compared to these 2 brands. Will take your advise about hearing them but not sure to find QA at the dealers in the vicinity although they are available on Amazon.
Any idea if they are safe to be driven by Marantz at max 70% volume.

People who listens music lot loves the Wharfedales Diamond 200 serie from what i have been reading at different boards over the years. They are "sweeter" sounding than many other brands, but no one knows will you like them best. Also that particular model had very intresting professional review. One person listened them and was suprised how great they sounded for the price, then two more did the same which was unusual and liked them aswell. I think Stereophile mainly reviews higher costing speakers, so it was little suprise to them. They were highly recommended by "golden ears"! Definitely demo them with your favourite music with you if you have a chance, i would! :) Yes they are larger, but what does it matter as you should be placing any speakers on ~60cm speaker stand and they won´t really take that much more space. I would see it as a advantage more.

Amazon has fine return policy i assume? So you could try the QAs at home too with the volume levels you want. You also have subwoofer which takes some stress off from your speakers when setup right, so you should be able to play them quite loud with movies too. There is many variables to think of including your room, listening distance, music type etc. but generally if the aim is to play really loud you wouldn`t choose the smallest speakers. Diamond 225 has higher 125w power handling and that 6,5" driver is going to work less than the 5" in QAs when really pushed. But i hope you can listen both the way you do at home and then make your decision, i guarantee it will be worth the trouble. Report back which model is more to your liking.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom