1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q about RME 9632 (Branxx?)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by owain_thomas, Jul 24, 2004.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm looking at this range of cards and wondered if any one can clear things up a bit for me, I've done as much reading as I can on here and avsforum but I'm still a bit confused.

I currently use an MAudio Revo via its analogue outs, into a processor, into a power amp. I use AC3filter to do my dolby digital and DTS decoding for DVDs. I use foobar via its kernel streaming output filter to play ape encoded CDs in stereo.

My main question is can I replicate this setup with the RME card? I am aware that it doesn't have bass management and I can stomach that if the sound quality is as big a step up as described. What seems to be less clear is whether the RME card allows individual level adjustments for the different channels, if not then how can you ever use this system?

As a bit of an aside how much would it cost to get the 9632 and the add on card to give the 6 outputs I need for this setup? I've seen a link from Branxx which has the RME for about £280 but can't find the right daughter card, which one is it and how much are they?

TIA
    Owain

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    you beat me to it Owain.. I was just about to post an identical thread.. :D

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    :) :p

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've just seen this thread so excuse my late reply.

I have ever experimented with multi-channel set-up of rme digi96/8 with add on card for additional analogue channels. That worked using PowerDVD (with some other side problems that should not translated to HDSP9632).

M-Audio driver is implemented differently as it exposes Multichannel Audio Device that does not exists in RME's implementation. If AC3Filter depends on such implementationit may not work correctly with RME.

If AC3 uses 3 pairs of stereo channels (which would be more general set-up) that I think it will work. This is how PowerDVD allocated audio channels.On the other hand Windows Media Player and I think WinDVD would work in multi-channel mode only if Multichannel Audio device is present.

Good source for RME is www.thomann.de or www.musicians-gear.com. The new version four channel daughter card should cost round £120.

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    Cheers Branxx,

those prices are very good, I think I'll give one a try :)

As a 9632 owner is there any 'must know' info you can share?

I'm thinking the usual suspects, such any problems with particulardriver versions etc?

Anything specific to this device I need to know, or is it a fairly straightforward card to get going?

Cheers,

Jon

6. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One of the things I like about RME is its simplicity. Once you install the card and drivers, it just works without having to tweak it again.

This simplicity works if you are using and external amp with volume control or home cinema processor. If you want to use HTPC for volume control I have read reports that RME volume control is difficult to integrate with remote control software. It is possible to configure volume control to attenuate several stereo pairs simultaneously and to output analogue and digital audio at the same time.

I use two of these cards, one in 2-channel analogue mode, feeding a 20yr old Marantz amp with really pleasant results. The 2nd card is digitally connected to Lexicon MC-12B HT processor. In both cases I avoided having to deal with card's volume controls.

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    I'm going multi channel analog to get rid of my processor, but i can happily live with SW volume controls and have no need for a remote so should be fine.

I'll post back with my impressions in a week or so.. :thumbsup:

8. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for the replies Branxx, is it possible to level adjustments for the individual channels with the 9632?

Owain

9. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Usually you will first individually adjust each channel and then bond all 6 volume sliders togerher and subsequently volume adjust them as a group. That is all possible.

10. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks, thats good news I thought I'd read somewhere that it was impossible to change them individually which seems a bit of a killer for multichannel/surround, but that was obviously a mistake.

I'll have to look into these cards a bit more now, thanks for the responses.

Owain

11. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The older model, DIGI96/8 did not have volume control for additional analogue channels. HDSP9632 is different.

12. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Branxx - Do you pass the signal from the RME to the processor/receiver thru the SPDIF/CO-AXIAL Output?

Thanks

Sneaky

13. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, yes I use coaxial cable for SPDIF connections.s

14. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Branxx,

Have you ever tested the M-Audio 2496 against against the Digi96/8. Is there much difference in quality thru the Coax if you have. My Receiver will be a Denon 2805 with Castle Compoacts and SVS SUB for speakers.

15. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only test I've done between Delta 2496 and DIGI96/8 was concerning the analogue out quality and DIGI was clear winner.

This does not immediatelly imply that the same is valid for digital outputs. It is worth noting that Delta's driver does suffer kmixed interference and you need to work in ASIO or kerner streaming mode to get unhindered audio signal out. DIGI's drver is written differently and would always bypass kmixer.

If you are thinking now of buying Delta or DIGI I would go for DIGI.