PZ70. Is this a good deal

aardvark007

Standard Member
Reaction score
After waiting for two months on a PX700CAB from empire direct and still not receiving it i finally cancelled the order and decided to have a look locally at some of the Plasma panels talked about on these foums. having got what i thought was a great deal from Empire Direct on the PX700CAB (£1349.99 inc delivery and a five year gauruntee) i am looking for a similar good deal. After Hearing alot of positive things about the PZ70 i thought it might be a good idea to take alook at this although i am not sure how much benefit i will get out of the full HD panel as i will be mostly using the TV for SKYHD and DVD. However it does give me abit of future proofing i assume. Anyway as i also lose the superior sound of the PX700 i was looking for a decent home cinema system to give me that sound. So the deal i was offered was the

PZ70PED + SCPT850 Home Cinema System + A stand (which looks stylish although not as good as the CAB) for a combined price of £1744.00 inc Delivery + Installation + 3 Year Gauruntee.

I have thought it may be worth just going for the PX70CAB with the home cinema and saving about £300 but not sure if ill end up regretting not going for the full HD panel in six months time. I am also worried about the posts saying that the SD picture on the PZ70 is not as good as on the PX70/700.

Anybody think i should go for this deal?

After waiting for two months on a PX700CAB from empire direct and still not receiving it i finally cancelled the order and decided to have a look locally at some of the Plasma panels talked about on these foums. having got what i thought was a great deal from Empire Direct on the PX700CAB (£1349.99 inc delivery and a five year gauruntee) i am looking for a similar good deal. After Hearing alot of positive things about the PZ70 i thought it might be a good idea to take alook at this although i am not sure how much benefit i will get out of the full HD panel as i will be mostly using the TV for SKYHD and DVD. However it does give me abit of future proofing i assume. Anyway as i also lose the superior sound of the PX700 i was looking for a decent home cinema system to give me that sound. So the deal i was offered was the

PZ70PED + SCPT850 Home Cinema System + A stand (which looks stylish although not as good as the CAB) for a combined price of £1744.00 inc Delivery + Installation + 3 Year Gauruntee.

I have thought it may be worth just going for the PX70CAB with the home cinema and saving about £300 but not sure if ill end up regretting not going for the full HD panel in six months time. I am also worried about the posts saying that the SD picture on the PZ70 is not as good as on the PX70/700.

Anybody think i should go for this deal?

That's a good deal,

I have the Pz700 which i'm very happy with..The new Pz70 is awesome...where you getting this deal from

Considering you can get the PZ70 for around 1100 from JL including a 5yr warantee, the SCPT850 for around 295, that leaves you paying 400 for the stand + home installation. And im thinking the home installation will be little more than something you could accomplish yourself (putting TV on stand, plugging in speakers to DVD player, plugging "stuff" into tv).

Suppose it depends what kind of stand it is, but considering the extra two years on the JL warantee id say the deal was decidedly average. The deal becomes even more dubious if the stand was similar to the ones off ebuyer.com which they sell for 50 quid ish.

And picture enjoyment is really a personal matter - try and get a demo of both the PX70 and the PZ70 side by side, preferably with both HD and SD feeds. Yes the PZ70 is more future proof, but by no means is the technology it employs finished. Like computers, no matter what happens you will wonder whether or not you should have waited for a little bit longer if you think too hard on it.

If you want a HDTV now and you prefer the PZ70 over the PX70, and you can afford the extra £300, then I dont really see why you should hesitate. But maybe it would be better to shop around to see if you can get a better price.

That's a good deal,

I have the Pz700 which i'm very happy with..The new Pz70 is awesome...where you getting this deal from

The local panasonic shop in Exeter. Told them i would go away and think about it. Was gonna see if i could get them down to around £1500 - £1600.

Considering you can get the PZ70 for around 1100 from JL including a 5yr warantee, the SCPT850 for around 295, that leaves you paying 400 for the stand + home installation. And im thinking the home installation will be little more than something you could accomplish yourself (putting TV on stand, plugging in speakers to DVD player, plugging "stuff" into tv).

Suppose it depends what kind of stand it is, but considering the extra two years on the JL warantee id say the deal was decidedly average. The deal becomes even more dubious if the stand was similar to the ones off ebuyer.com which they sell for 50 quid ish.

And picture enjoyment is really a personal matter - try and get a demo of both the PX70 and the PZ70 side by side, preferably with both HD and SD feeds. Yes the PZ70 is more future proof, but by no means is the technology it employs finished. Like computers, no matter what happens you will wonder whether or not you should have waited for a little bit longer if you think too hard on it.

If you want a HDTV now and you prefer the PZ70 over the PX70, and you can afford the extra £300, then I dont really see why you should hesitate. But maybe it would be better to shop around to see if you can get a better price.

I would be interested to know which store i can price match the PZ70 with. It could give me a bargaining tool with the panasonic shop or i would be interested in buying the panel from JL the H/C online at that price and the stand would cost about £180 on its own. That looks like a package price of around £1580

We have a TH42PZ70 sat right next to a TH42PX70, both running a 1080i BBC HD feed & I can't tell the difference between the two, picture quality-wise. The PZ70 feels very cheap to me, with its cheap buttons on the side & it has a funny styling & is really wide because of the speakers on the side.

To be honest, given that the scaling on the PX70 is so good, I really don't see the point in the 1080p sets at all. You're much better off sticking with a 720p set like the PX70 & having the best of both worlds - better looking SD images & an indistinguishable 1080 line experience.

We have a TH42PZ70 sat right next to a TH42PX70, both running a 1080i BBC HD feed & I can't tell the difference between the two, picture quality-wise. The PZ70 feels very cheap to me, with its cheap buttons on the side & it has a funny styling & is really wide because of the speakers on the side.

To be honest, given that the scaling on the PX70 is so good, I really don't see the point in the 1080p sets at all. You're much better off sticking with a 720p set like the PX70 & having the best of both worlds - better looking SD images & an indistinguishable 1080 line experience.

Didn't think this would take long, totally agree Iron Monkey on the performance my opinion also, far better all round performance from the px70. Disagree on the looks though, think it looks very nice, if its style try the px700.

Didn't think this would take long, totally agree Iron Monkey on the performance my opinion also, far better all round performance from the px70. Disagree on the looks though, think it looks very nice, if its style try the px700.

Like i said i was set on the Px700. Just want to be sure that i wont regret not having the full HD panel in six months time. I know the new range of Pannys are out next year but having already waited a year before deciding on the 700 on a price that was right feel it is time to buy.

Like i said i was set on the Px700. Just want to be sure that i wont regret not having the full HD panel in six months time. I know the new range of Pannys are out next year but having already waited a year before deciding on the 700 on a price that was right feel it is time to buy.

You will gain a about 5% on detail with HD or blue ray at these size of screens with full HD, but loose about 20-30% with sd on a 1080 set you also need far more powerfull processing to upscale an sd picture fill a 1080 screen sadly the processing put in these sets at these prices is not powerfull enough, until you have more hd broadcast channels than sd ones which is unlikely during the life of this set, your original choice, the PX700, will get far better overall results. Remember there are still a lot of sd channels that are not even widescreen yet so how quick do you think HD channels will appear. By that time the set you buy now will become a second set in your house and then the time will probably be right to go 1080.

Personally id go for the pz70, thats what i did, ive had it just over a week and im nothing short of amazed by it. SD freeview looks fantastic in my opinion(im no expert but im pretty picky). SD dvds upscaled by my xbox 360 look amazing as so do the games. When i tried blu ray via a ps3 and also ps3 games i was gobsmacked by the detail and clarity. The colours are great and the blacks are great. The in built speakers are not so great but i have it running through an amp with speakers and subwoofer any way so that dosnt bother me. To me it does not feel or look cheap like a budget model, it looks really stylish hung on my wall and like it would cost a lot more than i paid for it. it only has the 2 hdmi inputs but thats enough for me. the only complaint i have is that the vga input doesnt accept 1080p but thats no real problem.

Personally id go for the pz70, thats what i did, ive had it just over a week and im nothing short of amazed by it. SD freeview looks fantastic in my opinion(im no expert but im pretty picky). SD dvds upscaled by my xbox 360 look amazing as so do the games. When i tried blu ray via a ps3 and also ps3 games i was gobsmacked by the detail and clarity. The colours are great and the blacks are great. The in built speakers are not so great but i have it running through an amp with speakers and subwoofer any way so that dosnt bother me. To me it does not feel or look cheap like a budget model, it looks really stylish hung on my wall and like it would cost a lot more than i paid for it. it only has the 2 hdmi inputs but thats enough for me. the only complaint i have is that the vga input doesnt accept 1080p but thats no real problem.

Agreed. SD from Freeview on my pz70 is actually better thanon my friends px70. Go figure?:lesson: Some on here will say otherwise, but I have seen both up close and personal and both were great with SD, the 1080p version slightly better despite the fact that it stretches the picture to fill the massive amount of High def pixels.:smashin:

I am also worried about the posts saying that the SD picture on the PZ70 is not as good as on the PX70/700.

Stop worrying.
Watch something like Heroes BBC2/ CSI Miami C5/ The Sopranos E4 on the built-in DVB tuner - it looks superb. :cool:
Most of the programmes we watch at home are SD only, either live through DVB, recorded on HD SKY+ or a Panasonic HDD/DVDR - or even :eek: Tivos.
The SD can look so good it contradicts theorists that haven't seen one working ( not ******** - he has, and is entitled to his views ). :cool:

Th42pz70b

John lewis brent cross & watford

£1299.99

anybody seen it cheaper of has a price match ?

I hope this is of use - I did a little research myself comparing the prices of the Pio and Pan 42" Plasmas. I and others here would welcome some feed back on if you have any success price matching with John Lewis.

Prices shown for 428XD // 4280XD // PZ70B

PRC Direct £1,560.00 // - //£1,124.00
Empire Direct - inc stand £1,799.00 // £1,548.00 // -
Total Digital £1,529.00 // £1,489.00 // -
Digital Point £1,562.00 // £1,468.00 // £1,124.00
HiFi Conf + 4yr Warranty £1,799.00 // - // £1,049.00
Sound & Vision £1,549.00 // £1,466.00 // £1,124.00
Crampton & Moore (4280XD) - // £1,549.00 // £1,128.00
(3yr Warranty)
Multiregion Magic £1,699.00 // £1,699.00 // £1,099.00
AskDirect £1,789.00 // - // -
TLC Broadcast £1,795.00 // £1,625.00 // -

AliG

I hope this is of use - I did a little research myself comparing the prices of the Pio and Pan 42" Plasmas. I and others here would welcome some feed back on if you have any success price matching with John Lewis.

Prices shown for 428XD // 4280XD // PZ70B

PRC Direct £1,560.00 // - //£1,124.00
Empire Direct - inc stand £1,799.00 // £1,548.00 // -
Total Digital £1,529.00 // £1,489.00 // -
Digital Point £1,562.00 // £1,468.00 // £1,124.00
HiFi Conf + 4yr Warranty £1,799.00 // - // £1,049.00
Sound & Vision £1,549.00 // £1,466.00 // £1,124.00
Crampton & Moore (4280XD) - // £1,549.00 // £1,128.00
(3yr Warranty)
Multiregion Magic £1,699.00 // £1,699.00 // £1,099.00
AskDirect £1,789.00 // - // -
TLC Broadcast £1,795.00 // £1,625.00 // -

AliG

Nice one!! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom