px80 setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by muttyhc, Jun 18, 2008.

1. muttyhc

muttyhc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hi all,

ive setup my px80 using the hdtvtest setup, dropped brightness down a bit more than he said.

But otherwise all settings are as advised,

anything else I should know about or change?

also, i didnt realise that u had to set the settings for each different input so i ran bbc1 showing some comedy show for about an hour on 'normal' settings, theres no screen retention but i hope it hasnt done any damage? Can anyone give me some feedback on this particular point?

thanks.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. muttyhc

muttyhc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    can anyone help?

3. matr69

matr69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi mate,

Yes I have my brightness dropped a little bit extra too, if you have those settings then just sit back and enjoy, there isn't anything much to change, you can check oversan on or off and see which you prefer if you are getting any irregularities at the edge of the screen.

I don't think 1 hour of normal will do any damage to be honest, contrast is high but no big deal. If you have no image retention then you are totally fine, and the PX seems fairly robust on this issue anyhow.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  4. muttyhc

muttyhc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    cheers mate, also should I have IFC on?

What damage if any could that 1hour of footage done? Just image retention?

5. Dave_nt

Dave_nt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You won't have done any damage. Unless you use dynamic mode (which would only be set if you said the tv was for use in a shop when going through the setup) you are not going to do any damage by watching a programme for 1 hour. Just relax about the much over-hyped screen burn and enjoy your tv!

6. LeoWyatt

LeoWyatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    As people have said relax. I've been using the hdtvtest settings since day 1 and have a slight bit of retention after playing games but it is usually gone within 30 seconds when returning to a normal broadcast.

We don't have an aerial connected to our TV so after I am done playing I just stick it on the TV input for a couple of minutes and the snow sorts out any retention if there is any.

7. muttyhc

muttyhc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    how do I get to that snow input btw?

I'm using a popcorn hour myself, and only keep it on the menu briefly (we're talkin a few mins max) when selecting what i want to watch, but tonight i've noticed some slight retention, very slight but on a totally black screen there has been some retention from the tv menu's itself and from the popcorn hour. It was all over the screen at one point but disappeared relatively quickly (can last 30sec, 1min or 5min),

My settings are as hdtv said, actually lower. I've lowered them even more since this occurred, any reason why this is happening exactly? I'm being really careful but it seems not careful enough. In actual fact, even if I just change the display (hdmi1 to hdmi2) the menu from the panny stays on the screen (not visible if watching something, only black screen when close to the screen).

essentially im just trying to confirm that this is 'normal' behaveour with the settings lower the retention lasts alot less, barely 30secs now. Just one of those 'new product' newbie type syndromes occurring.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  8. LeoWyatt

LeoWyatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Snow can be achieved by using analogue TV and selecting say channel 40 that should give you what you need.

9. muttyhc

muttyhc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    thanks, are the symptoms I'm getting reasonable?