PX700 anytime soon, or settle for a PX70 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by russellg, Apr 24, 2007.

1. russellg

russellg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been lurking in these boards for the last 2-3 weeks, and now need to take the plunge. My old Philips 30" CRT has finally given up and needs to be replaced,I'm currently reduced to watching on my 20" PC LCD in the bedroom.

I started off considering the 32" Panny LCD swiftly moved to the 37" Plasma and am now toying between the 42PX70 and 42PX700, there's a couple of questions you may be able to help with.

Some background info, I live on my own (ex-wife has the house, kids, all the money etc etc :smashin: ) and therefore the majority of the time it's just me watching (mainly SKY Sports, Sky 1, with an SD Feed , until I can get the communal dish upgraded and can get HD).

I watch from a distance of 8-10 ft depending on where I choose to sit, there is also a DVD and VCR player connected.

The room is rectangular and as such the TV will sit in a corner. The 42" would definately 'overpower' the room, but.....

Having finally convinced myself I need a 42PX700CAB/PED, I've now got three decisions to sort out;

1. Is the 700 likely to be available very soon ? ( I want to see the FA Cup final on my new TV !)

2. The bottom of the Panny stand seems to stick out to far in front for me ( I do need to conserve space a bit ) and therefore a glass corner cabinet may be preferable, is there an obvious choice to match a 42PX700PED ?

3. I settled on the 700 versus the 70 as I fancied the PIP and decided I would pay for improved sound. Is there an alternative for improved sound at around the 700 v 70 price difference i.e. c£200-£250 ?. I have nowhere for a 5.1 system to go and would need any solution to sit almost within the stand area. I assume the answer is not given the space restrictions, but if there is I could go for a 70PED.

Thanks in advance.

2. pedwar

pedwar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been waiting since the start of the year for the 700.. no more details on the Panasonic website, they just said it would be available this month but nothing yet :(

They've removed the availble date now as if it's out, but I haven't seen any?

And either they haven't corrected it or the TH42PX700PED still has 2xHDMI Sockets according to their site, rather than the TH42PX700CAB :confused:

My Philips 32" CRT blew up in late November.. it's been so long :D (was going to get a PX600, but I wanted to wait for a Purple Snakes fix, by the time it was all in place, I thought might as well wait for the '07 models ;) )

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    http://www.mvsav.co.uk/

These guys were selling one on ebay for £1195 + £49 delivery. Think that was just the panel - bracket/pedestal/cabinet extra.

4. CHFels

CHFels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    The PX700 is a bit wider than the PX70, hence just that little bit more "overpowering" and hard to tuck into a corner. Make careful measurements before you buy! Like you, I've been waiting for the PX700s to come out, because better sound, PIP and anti-glare screen all interest me most definitely.

If the UK price difference is £200-£250, it's another case of "Rip-off Britain", since the MSRP difference in Europe is just €200. Feel free to point this out to your retailer. :D

Yamaha makes a one-box pseudo-5.1 speaker system that can sit right under or right over a PX70; What Hi-Fi seems to like it, and it might give even better results than a PX700 on its own (but for a larger price dif).

CHFels

5. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Not true. The actual difference in the shops is about €400 (£275) in the Netherlands and Belgium.
    The PV70 is selling for about €1250, the prices for the PV700 are turning around €1650-1700 (prices from online shops).

6. halla86

halla86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price difference will be closer to £500 rather than £200 im afraid to say. Currys have the px70 for £833 including pedestal at the moment, amazing price..
    The px700 will be "around the £1450-£1600 mark" was the answer i got from a few dealers but this is just hearsay at the moment.. Given that online retailers will knock £150-£200 off the top end at launch, If you get it for £1300 would be a good bet:)
    It will be interesting to see how the anti-glare works.. when other manufacterers tried them it reduced the colour dramatically so anti-glare was dropped. Sure technology moves on so will be interesting to see how well it works:)
    Pioneer do the 5.1 dcs 360 sound system for £280 ish with hdmi connection, there is a new model out soon so if you shop around you might get it cheaper but it is a fantastic home cinema set up for such a crazy low price..
    Hope this helps your queries:))

7. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Not any more. It's now £919.

8. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 42PX700 in stock on the Panasonic website for just under £1500:

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/th42px700ped

9. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    42PX700PED now in stock at MRM for £1229 plus delivery.

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=px700

At last! I might give one of these a go to hopefully improve reflections with its anti-glare coating absent on the PX70. Slightly concerned as to how the A/R coating affects overall colour and black levels. A prelim review from someone at a show said that he thought the coating reduced black performance. Also has ambient light detector for auto-contrast change plus extra scart & HDMI.

A few other extras too, but nothing to shout about....I think everyone knows about the SD card & better sound for this TV, but quite frankly most people will want to use a decent separate sound system. Also has front HDMI & AV4 SVHS sockets in the front as well as a headphone socket absent on the PX70. Also has PIP & PAP for those interested in gimmicks.

The manual is now on Panasonic UK site too (PX700B).

The PX700 price works out to be about £230 more than the PX70 now. So that settles that debate for now. Might wait a few days or so to see if JL have them in stock soon, but JL are notoriously slow in stocking new TVs.